good news !!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Re: good news !!

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:33 am

biscuit wrote:
kellysouthpaw wrote:I'm in love with Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory :heart:

Me too :heart:

Me three :heart: :horse:
It's a psychological analogy

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:41 am

Geek lovers unite! :supz:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:47 am

or possibly 'Geeks Unite! :wink: :D

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:04 pm

I know not of what you speak, madam :whistle:

Would a geek use this?? :supz:

Actually it did dawn on me the other day that I might just be a wee bit of a nerd... I was going on about FOTC and saying..hee hee, they're sort of geeky..they have this song..and then I started reciting Robots. Only afterwards did I stop to think that nothing says geek like reciting geeks :roll:

So, yeah...I do know of what you speak :lol: But when you drop the 'lovers' bit you're down to three syllables :worry:

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Geek lovers unite
Geeky men often hotties-
not universal rule

(there's some baaaad geeks out there!)

I think I kind of pass as a non-geek until I open my mouth Then it all goes wrong...
knitting, bric-a-brac, fishkeeping. Oh dear.

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:08 pm

What is the one thing that outted you as a geek ? I know I sometimes slip up when I go on about either Voltaire or Leibniz and monads. I tend to carry a grudge against Leibniz for cutting into my drinking time at uni :lol:
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:26 pm

I just can't help constantly talking about origins of words and kinship between languages etc. :roll: I generally look for connections not just between words, but ideas and terms, trying to trace them back to possible origins.

Also I tend to start my musings with: 'I'll tell you something funny about that/ I wonder if that is related to'..., which by now is enough to send the non-language-geeks running screaming from the room :lol:

:geek:

My daughter usually listens to me, before replying in super dry fashion: "Yes, mum, that was funny..."

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:10 pm

recent examples - knowing about different varieties of goldfish, breeding habits of geese and ducks, the slightly doomed attempts at learning Russian, the afore-mentioned linguistics stuff (recently bored some people with my musings on the word 'vicarious'), random historical facts, etc

More generally, my tendency to get completely obsessed by things- currently Flight of the Conchords.
I had no idea there was a geek smiley - awesome!

PsychoChique
Getting lewd with the food

Postby PsychoChique » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:06 pm

biscuit wrote:I just can't help constantly talking about origins of words and kinship between languages etc. :roll: I generally look for connections not just between words, but ideas and terms, trying to trace them back to possible origins.

Also I tend to start my musings with: 'I'll tell you something funny about that/ I wonder if that is related to'..., which by now is enough to send the non-language-geeks running screaming from the room :lol:

:geek:

My daughter usually listens to me, before replying in super dry fashion: "Yes, mum, that was funny..."

Hello biscuit :wave:
What you've just said makes me a geek too, if anything, more of one!!! :rolleyes:
I studied Linguistics and German at Uni, looking at historical sides of both, i.e. how the language originated, changed over time, etc. I'm also very pedantic about apostrophes, commas, etc put in the wrong place and badly spoken, spelt English etc (I always have been, prior to uni). :tsk:
I go into intense detail about phonetics, morphology, syntax, the cases (none of which I was taught at school...) I'm doing it now - I can tell by the length of this message... oopsies :roll:
Also, Old English is much closer to present day German, and swear words come from German, not French, so being a smart arse, I tend to say "pardon my German" - not greatly funny, I know!!

I'm probably boring you already :zzz: :eh:
... I go where the party takes me ...

You're so Beautiful, Like a Tree, or a High Class Prostitute...

... Any Last Requests, Again, My Friend?...

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 pm

PsychoChique wrote:Also, Old English is much closer to present day German, and swear words come from German, not French, so being a smart arse, I tend to say "pardon my German" - not greatly funny, I know!!

I'm probably boring you already :zzz: :eh:

Hi, Psycho :wave:

Nice to see you outside the film and song games :wink: I will never, ever be bored by geeky language discussions:) Seeing as you are strict on commas and the like, I should start by saying I'm sorry for the lack of them in my writing. To my defence I'm a foreigner :lol: (I do use dictionaries a lot because I hate making spelling mistakes :worry: )

Language of history is indeed interesting :geek: I love boring people with stories like how the English words for farm animals are derived from Saxon (German) while the meat from the same animals have names derived from French. Swine - pork, lamb- mutton, calf - veal et cetera.

You should join us in the "Hey, I'm studying here" thread where geeking it out is what it's all about :wink:

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:24 pm

biscuit wrote:I'm probably boring you already :zzz: :eh:

Hi, Psycho :wave:

You should join us in the "Hey, I'm studying here" thread where geeking it out is what it's all about :wink:[/quote]

To be fair, this thread has wandered from a joyous celebration of a tiresome work duty avoided into pretty full on geekiness. :wink: Not that I am complaining!
Dragonsa are quite geeky, aren't they? :albi:

Return to “Off topic rambles”