Summer Reading List

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
kellysouthpaw

Re: Summer Reading List

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:53 am

I know this thread has kind of turned into the "Augusten Burroughs Appreciation Thread" which is fine because I adore his stuff - BUT, I'm about to start a few new books and I just wanted to relay my excitement! :yay: There are few greater "little joys" than opening to the first page on a crisp new book :D

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:59 am

Oh DITTO that Kelly. Happy Reading! :D
ImageImageImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:36 am

If anyone's not aware, WalMart.com and Amazon.com seem to be having a price war on books.

I've pre-ordered my copy of Stephen King's upcoming Under the Dome from WM. The SRP on it will be $35 and I usually go to Sam's or WalMart where new best-sellers go for 40% off, which would be $21.

Pre-order price? $8.99 with free shipping. :shock: And that was the last time I checked.
It's a behemoth of a hardcover, coming in at over 1,000 pages. It was $9 when I ordered and they dropped a penny to undercut Amazon. They keep doing it.

So, you may want to check them out for Christmas gifts or just expanding your library. :)

My bff picked me up the latest fluff-book by JR Ward (author of the very Hot vampire books, the Black Dagger Brotherhood) that deals with fallen angels, called Covet. She's dropping it of tomorrow. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:23 pm

....must take laptop on holiday to take advantage of book price war! :D
It's a psychological analogy

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:03 am

Nancy- So did you go to the book signing tonight?? How was it if you did?? :D
ImageImageImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:54 am

No, tonight was Chicago, Boston is tomorrow night. I just read his blog and he thanked everyone in Chicago, and then in a later blog he was walking around in the "irritatingly fresh air" in Boston, :lol: so I guess he made it to Boston okay, and the tour is going on as planned. I kind of feel as though there's going to be an elephant in the room if he doesn't address the split with Dennis in some way, since he wrote so much about the two of them. I'm sad for him, but I'm glad he's moving forward.

I read an exerpt of You Better Watch Out, and I look forward to reading the whole book, especially since it'll have the author's signature on it! :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:04 am

Ohhh okay, I thought it was tonight. D'oh! :lol:

Yeah I wonder if he will. I kinda think he may even if a bit off handedly.

Also did you see his tweet that was asked by a fan if they brought 2 books would he sign them? and he said of course he'd be a d**k if he didn't. :lol:

Well good luck tomorrow! I hope you have fun! :D Can't wait to hear all about it. It's only 12 days till I get to got the one in Austin! Yay!
ImageImageImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:56 am

Wow! I went to Augusten Burroughs' book signing tonight in Boston, and I'm so glad I did!

The stage had a Charlie Brown Christmas tree and a podium with a mike, and that was it. The theater was packed - it must have held 200-300 people, all very appreciative. When he first came out, he took the mike and put a Red Bull on the podium. He spoke of past Christmases and the good and bad things that had happened, and his past 2 were bad because his dog got very sick, and then he said, and I have just split with my partner, Dennis. (There were "Oh no"s from audience members who hadn't heard) "So, let's go do a book tour! It's Christmas!"
So he addressed it immediately, which was good. He read an exerpt from the book, complete with character voices, and we all loved it. Before he took questions, he told us that journalists always ask him the same thing - are your stories really true? (he said he was glad no audience member had ever asked it) During the Q and A, he reminded me of FoTC, because he was able to think so quickly on his feet to make his answers witty and charming. Later at the book signing, I was near the end of the line (that's what comes with getting a good seat in the theater and having to file out to the signing across the street :roll: ). Even after lo so many signings and pics he still made time to say something special to each one of us. What a fun night, and it was so nice to meet such a talented writer. I didn't gush too much, either. :wink: Come on over to Members Only Issues and I'll tell you what we spoke of. :shhh:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:26 am

So tonight I went to the Augusten Burroughs book signing in Austin. It was awesome! I was about fourth in line to meet him and get him to sign my book. He is so sweet and really takes time to talk to everyone. I did speak with him shortly about my current situation with my Father and he took time to give me some lovely words of encouragement. He was also nice enough to get a pic with me.

He was very funny and sweet at the reading and took a lot of questions from the audience. And he did give short answers either. He was thoughtful and took his time.

All in all I am SO happy I went. :D
ImageImageImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:40 am

Aww, BGirl, even though we're on opposite sides of the country, I feel close to you because of him. Isn't he so interesting?

I finished You Better Not Cry, the latest A Burroughs book. I roared laughing, and I cried. It's a very funny, very poignant book, and as always, written with his quirky take on things. Well worth it.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:50 am

Me too Nancy. Very much.

I just finished you better not cry this evening while waiting for the signing. I did have to buy a new copy in order for him to sign your book. But that's okay, I was more than happy too. He talked a bit about George and a bit about his dogs. But never mentioned Dennis. He said that he would answer anything. But nobody asked.
He did say the Dry was going to be made into a Showtime series. Yay!
ImageImageImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:46 am

bakergirl30 wrote:Me too Nancy. Very much.

I just finished you better not cry this evening while waiting for the signing. I did have to buy a new copy in order for him to sign your book. But that's okay, I was more than happy too. He talked a bit about George and a bit about his dogs. But never mentioned Dennis. He said that he would answer anything. But nobody asked.
He did say the Dry was going to be made into a Showtime series. Yay!

Maybe I am just feeling a little hurt that my thread has been overtaken as an Augusten Burroughs thread, but it seems really lame that you would have to spend ANOTHER $20-50 (depending how much the book is) for him to sign it...you already bought a copy, it's not like you're trying to get something for nothing, you know...? :dunno:

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Oh. Sorry Kelly, that was never the intention to over take your thread about Augusten. :oops:

And for me, I was going to buy a new book anyway because I am a dork like that and want to keep it nice on my bookshelf and have the second one to pass around and re-read. So it didn't bother me.
ImageImageImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:57 am

Kelly, it just happened that his were the books we've been reading. Plus he's just been on a book tour, which some of us were able to get to.

No hijack, really. :goodman:

Has anyone heard of a book called The Tricky Part by Martin Moran? I've heard some friends highly recommending it.
I think it's going to be my next read, before I settle in with Stephen King.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:05 pm

No I haven't Nancy, what is it about?

I am currently reading The Gastronomy Of Marriage By Michelle Maisto a memoir of food and love. :) So far it's good!
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”