Summer Reading List

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Re: Summer Reading List

Postby Red » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:52 am

I just got around to starting The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. (I got it for Christmas last year!) I'm really enjoying it so far.

Kelly, you said you had gotten a couple of new books. What are they?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:24 am

The Tricky Part by Martin Moran is a memoir of Moran who from age 12-15 was abused by a counselor at a Catholic Camp. It deals with what he went through then, how he grew, and at age 42 his search for his abuser. It was made into an Obie-winning Off-Broadway one-man show, starring Moran. I think I'll give it a read, based on the recommendations of my friends.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Red wrote:I just got around to starting The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. (I got it for Christmas last year!) I'm really enjoying it so far.

Kelly, you said you had gotten a couple of new books. What are they?

A couple books by my most favorite author, Richard Dawkins

The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

and

A Devil's Chaplain: Reflections on Hope, Lies, Science, and Love

I have JUST finished re-reading his book The God Delusion last night, so I'm about to start The Greatest Show On Earth today. I'm excited. He has a very eloquent and poetic way of writing about science...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Wow, Kelly they sound impressive.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:48 pm

Kelz you're a better man than me. I got one chapter into the God Delusion and had to give up.
90% evil
ImageImage

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Red, I got that for christmas too! I havent started it yet. too much class reading right now!

has anyone read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? Im super excited to see the movie!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:01 pm

I haven't read it but saw the preview before Gentlemen Broncos. It looks good, although quite similar to Children of Men.
90% evil
ImageImage

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 pm

That is an impressive reading list Kelly! :shock:

I have read The Road and I am curious about the movie. Is there a release date?

Nancy your book sounds interesting. Let me know how you like it, I might want to read it. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:03 pm

I've heard great things about The Road, both the book and the movie. It sounds like it might be an Oscar contender.

Now the hard decision: since books are usually better than their movies, do you watch the movie first, and then read the book, or vice-versa?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:03 pm

November 28 or 29 (I think) in Detroit...I saw a poster when we went to see GB this weekend...and the trailer!

I always like reading the book first if I can help it. I think I enjoy the movie more that way than when I have seen the movie first....

I read Beloved AFTER seeing the movie...and it didnt seem to really have that much of an affect on me, but I went back and saw the movie after reading and like it much better once I knew what was going on! :D

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:10 pm

Yeah I agree Cj. If I can I will read it first. Though a lot of times I've read the book way before the movie.
Im excited to see the Lovely Bones movie. I read the book years ago so I'd like to re-read it before the movie comes out.
ImageImageImageImage

Red

Postby Red » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:31 pm

The Road is one of my all time favorite books! I highly recommend it. It's my favorite of McCarthy's books. It's quite dark and McCarthy doesn't exactly believe in happy endings but it's so wonderfully written. Like nothing else I've ever read.

I'm also stoked about The Lovely Bones. Another great book and I think Peter Jackson will do a wonderful job with it. He certainly knows how to addapt a book to the big screen.

Kelly, I haven't read any Dawkins yet but he's one of my husband's all time favorite people so I've heard a lot about him and his writing.

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:44 am

I finally got around to reading the book jPod by Douglas Coupland.
He wrote the script for an adaptation of it as a TV series, but the CBC axed it after one season. (I had been hooked on it...it had geeky humour and odd-yet-quotable lines galore.)

Now I have to get around to reading The Name of the Rose...all because a professor recommended it to me. :lol:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:53 am

SW, Dawkins can be sort of difficult to read at times (I blame his Britishness :lol:) and I often found myself needing a dictionary closeby, but I enjoy his writing oh so much :)

Red, I am glad to hear that your husband is also a fan!

I actually went to see an old Prof of mine tonight who got me started in Dawkins and evolution to see if he had gotten Dawkins' new book yet and we set a tentative lunch date to chat about the books and just catch up! He invited me to sit in on his class tonight (and boy oh boy would I) but I had a couple friends with me who did not want to :(

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:39 am

I keep meaning to read The Name of the Rose. My boyfriend swears on the thing and I've enjoyed lots of Eco's other works.

In a similar vein, though, I'm currently reading The Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones. It's set in the 14th century in Barcelona and follows the life of a character who starts off the child of an escaped peasant and ends up wealthy but battling church and aristocracy. Throughout, is the story of the building of the Santa Maria Del Mar. It's well-written and pretty entertaining.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Return to “Off topic rambles”