Summer Reading List

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: Summer Reading List

Postby vmh » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:45 am

I checked out a new book at work today - The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. I haven't read any of her other books but I tend to like books that have post-apocalyptic themes. In that sense, this new release from Atwood fits my bill. I also received that Clive James memoir that Jemaine mentioned in one of his recent interviews so I'll be starting that one soon after.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:58 am

I may be the only person on Earth who did not like The Road.

Kelly - the only book by Dawkins I have read is The Selfish Gene. I expected it to be a psychology/biology book, as in "the gene that causes selfishness", lol. So it was not what I thought it would be, but a good book nonetheless. ;)

I really liked the first two thirds of the Lovely Bones, then it kind of went downhill. I didn't like the ending, I thought it was too weird and literal. The first two thirds were really beautiful and sad. Has anyone seen The Time Traveler's Wife? I can't go see this movie because I loved the book so much and there is no way the movie will be as good. It just can't. Also I don't agree with their choice of Henry. He's just not Henry to me.

My friend is out tonight bingeing on Twilight, lol. She's seeing the first movie at 9 and then New Moon at 12. :roll: :lol: Sorry. I love her and I totally do not begrudge her the Twilight thing at all, I just don't get it. Has anyone read the books? I can't really judge because I've only read the first chapter but I wasn't impressed by the writing. She's really into it though. I've had to listen to quite a bit of fan talk about Twilight, lol.

I am not digging the book I'm currently reading at all. I'm reading it for my book club. It's called Zigzagging Down a Wild Trail by Bobby Ann Mason. She's a Kentucky author. It's a book of short stories in which nothing ever actually happens. :roll: I find books like that annoying unless they're extremely well done and I'm not crazy about her writing.

onefeathertail
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onefeathertail » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:04 am

I read the books.

I wouldn't not recommend them, but they're not a favourite of mine. I mean, I think the core idea was probably decent, at some point, and some of the characters are kind of interesting -- but the execution is poorly done. For me, personally, it felt like reading Stephanie Meyer's ultimate sexual fantasy. :roll: :hrmpf:
Last edited by onefeathertail on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:23 am

I just read the first one. Here are my summary statements:

There are going to be some very disappointed girls (and women) that are basing any kind of relationship expectations on the characters in these stories. At the very least, proms nationwide will fall short by all the more. :lol:

Based on only having read the first book I'd say the author still has some refining to do in general but it was an entertaining read nonetheless.

It was interesting enough to keep me reading until the end but not enough so that I wanted to read the next three so I just read the synopsis on of each on Wikipedia.

related but separate:
If anyone can explain how a vampire that does not need to eat, sleep and/or breathehad swimmers to get her pregnantI would greatly appreciate it!

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:29 am

Well, Jillbean, they have diamond skin in the sunlight so why not sperm? :lol:

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:34 am

Red wrote:Well, Jillbean, they have diamond skin in the sunlight so why not sperm? :lol:

:rolls:

VaiVedrai

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 am

vmh wrote:I checked out a new book at work today - The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. I haven't read any of her other books but I tend to like books that have post-apocalyptic themes.
It's the sequel/companion to her book Oryx and Crake; I loved that book and I need to read this one!
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:40 am

The Twilight series is fine, but nothing special, and all of the hype about it has started getting a bit annoying. It's not something that I found painful to read, but it certainly wasn't what you'd call great literature. I think mostly the reason that it's so compelling for people is that it's got a plot that easily draws people in, but in reality the plot of all of the books is pretty much the same.

Oh, and I found the final book in the series, Breaking Dawn, just really terrible overall. I sat there reading it thinking, "This is really messed up. Who on earth comes up with freekie stuff like this?"
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:28 am

mockingbird wrote:Has anyone seen The Time Traveler's Wife? I can't go see this movie because I loved the book so much and there is no way the movie will be as good. It just can't. Also I don't agree with their choice of Henry. He's just not Henry to me.

I've seen the trailer but I've decided that I'm not going to see the movie until I finish the book. I'm not that far in. I may be up to the part where adult Henry is at the museum of natural history with his childhood self. If you could cast anyone as Henry, who would you cast?

VaiVedrai wrote:
vmh wrote:I checked out a new book at work today - The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. I haven't read any of her other books but I tend to like books that have post-apocalyptic themes.
It's the sequel/companion to her book Oryx and Crake; I loved that book and I need to read this one!

Oooh! In that case, should I read Oryx and Crake first?
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:10 pm

vmh wrote:If you could cast anyone as Henry, who would you cast?

Hmm. Well of course my first thought is Jemaine, but it's not his kind of character and he doesn't look like the Henry in my head but I'll still take him. ;) Let's see... ummmmm..... the problem is I have such a specific image of him that nobody quite fits it. He needs to be tall and athletic but on the skinny side, lots of thick wavy black hair, intellectual looking, fine boned but still masculine, a bit quirky looking so he's not your standard handsome guy. So who would fit that bill?

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:36 pm

mockingbird wrote:
vmh wrote:If you could cast anyone as Henry, who would you cast?

Hmm. Well of course my first thought is Jemaine

If casting Jemaine as Henry means that we get to see more scenes of Jemaine sans clothing then I'm all for this. :nod:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:49 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:SW, Dawkins can be sort of difficult to read at times (I blame his Britishness :lol:) and I often found myself needing a dictionary closeby, but I enjoy his writing oh so much :) (
I shouldn't have commented coz it has nothing to do with his writing but my own raging atheism and defensiveness over it.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:21 am

Oh, and you DIDN'T like Dawkins?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:38 am

mock, you're not alone. While it was gripping....it was just about the grimmest books I've ever read. I'm looking froward to the movie because I love Viggo and I'm thinking they'll have to un-grim it a bit for the screen, lol!

jillbean: your question was a biggie and one Stephenie addressed on her site, so here you are:

Now, on to the "how is this possible?" question. First of all, of course it's not possible. None of this story is possible. It's a fantasy story about creatures that don't actually exist. Within the context of the fantasy, however, this is how it works:

Vampires are physically similar enough to their human origins to pass as humans under some circumstances (like cloudy days). There are many basic differences. They appear to have skin like ours, albeit very fair skin. The skin serves the same general purpose of protecting the body. However, the cells that make up their skin are not pliant like our cells, they are hard and reflective like crystal. A fluid similar to the venom in their mouths works as a lubricant between the cells, which makes movement possible (note: this fluid is very flammable). A fluid similar to the same venom lubricates their eyes so that their eyes can move easily in their sockets. (However, they don't produce tears because tears exist to protect the eye from damage, and nothing is going to be able to scratch a vampire's eye.) The lubricant-venom in the eyes and skin is not able to infect a human the way saliva-venom can. Similarly, throughout the vampire's body are many versions of venom-based fluids that retain a marked resemblance to the fluid that was replaced, and function in much the same way and toward the same purpose. Though there is no venom replacement that works precisely like blood, many of the functions of blood are carried on in some form. Also, the nervous system runs in a slightly different but heightened way. Some involuntary reactions, like breathing, continue (in that specific example because vampires use the scents in the air much more than we do, rather than out of a need for oxygen). Other involuntary reactions, like blinking, don't exist because there is no purpose for them. The normal reactions of arousal are still present in vampires, made possible by venom-related fluids that cause tissues to react similarly as they do to an influx of blood. Like with vampire skin—which looks similar to human skin and has the same basic function—fluids closely related to seminal fluids still exist in male vampires, which carry genetic information and are capable of bonding with a human ovum. This was not a known fact in the vampire world (outside of Joham's personal experimenting) before Nessie, because it's nearly impossible for a vampire to be that near a human and not kill her.

I didn't get into all of these details at my signings because it's a long, complicated mouthful. Also, it's hard to be clearly heard with all the screaming. Mostly, though, I waited to do this in writing because I have an immature, Homer Simpson-like tendency to giggle when I say the words "seminal fluids" in public.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/bd_faq.html

Right now I'm reading Running With Scissors and Look Me in the Eye. One in the reading room (bathroom :P ) and the other elsewhere. When I finish those, I have Stephen King's behemoth Under the Dome, just beckoning me already.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:53 am

Thanks, Laura!

Wow. That was quite informative. I am new to any vampire knowledge so much appreciated (as was her opening line about the possibility of it :) )

Hope you are enjoying Running with Scissors and Look Me In The Eye; two very different but very interesting reads! I have a friend listening to The Dome on audio, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it once you start it.

Return to “Off topic rambles”