Summer Reading List

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: Summer Reading List

Postby mockingbird » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 am

vmh wrote:
mockingbird wrote:
vmh wrote:If you could cast anyone as Henry, who would you cast?

Hmm. Well of course my first thought is Jemaine

If casting Jemaine as Henry means that we get to see more scenes of Jemaine sans clothing then I'm all for this. :nod:

Absolutely. And, it just occured to me that the person I'm imagining is Neil Gaiman.

Yup, that's Henry. ;) Except my version of him is slightly better looking. (Sorry Neil.) I wonder if he's ever considered acting? :hrm:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:20 am

jillbean wrote:Thanks, Laura!

Wow. That was quite informative. I am new to any vampire knowledge so much appreciated (as was her opening line about the possibility of it :) )

Hope you are enjoying Running with Scissors and Look Me In The Eye; two very different but very interesting reads! I have a friend listening to The Dome on audio, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it once you start it.

You're welcome. :D

Any vampire knowledge? Then don't use her vampire mythology and apply it to any others, lol. In my mind, they should burn up in the sun, not sparkle. But I deal, cuz I do love the story...no matter how basic her writing is. :)

Yep, I'm enjoying both books! I'm sure that when I finish UtD, I'll get the rest of Augusten's....

I already know I'll love UtD....I preordered from WalMart.com since they were having a price-war with Amazon and got it for $8.98- free shipping! :shock:

Well, it came late and so I'm already hearing from my friends how terrific it is! :) I'll probably drag it out...been chomping at the bit for another loooooong SK book and so won't want it to end, lol. :D

I'm guessing you've finished it already? :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:59 am

LauraK wrote:

Wow. That was quite informative. I am new to any vampire knowledge so much appreciated (as was her opening line about the possibility of it :) )

Hope you are enjoying Running with Scissors and Look Me In The Eye; two very different but very interesting reads! I have a friend listening to The Dome on audio, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it once you start it.

Any vampire knowledge? Then don't use her vampire mythology and apply it to any others, lol. In my mind, they should burn up in the sun, not sparkle. But I deal, cuz I do love the story...no matter how basic her writing is. :)

Yep, I'm enjoying both books! I'm sure that when I finish UtD, I'll get the rest of Augusten's....

I already know I'll love UtD....I preordered from WalMart.com since they were having a price-war with Amazon and got it for $8.98- free shipping! :shock:

Well, it came late and so I'm already hearing from my friends how terrific it is! :) I'll probably drag it out...been chomping at the bit for another loooooong SK book and so won't want it to end, lol. :D

My vampire knowledge exists of this: burns in the sun, garlic to ward them off, stake through the heart to kill and Mr. Burns has HUGE hair as Dracula! The stuff about venom and stone is all new to me! Yeah, I kinda figured I should treat her stuff the way you do when you use Wikipedia as a resource... :lol:

I actually have not started UtD, I am working my way through some boring work-related stuff as of late. I have some days off in a couple of weeks so maybe I will need to spend some of it doing recreational reading!

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:05 am

jillbean wrote:
LauraK wrote:

My vampire knowledge exists of this: burns in the sun, garlic to ward them off, stake through the heart to kill and Mr. Burns has HUGE hair as Dracula! The stuff about venom and stone is all new to me! Yeah, I kinda figured I should treat her stuff the way you do when you use Wikipedia as a resource... :lol:

:roll2: :roll2: Couldn't have said it better myself!
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:53 am

Venom and stone? Oh hell no! :hrmpf: :lol:

I've read my fair bit of vampire stories over the years, starting with Dracula, as you should, and then read all the Anne Rice vampire stuff in my teens. There's no venom or stone. Or sparkles! There's also no pregnancy. I much prefer it that way. ;)

All that said, you shouldn't read Anne Rice past your early 20s. I've gone back and reread one of her books recently (not even a vampire one), and it really doesn't hold up well at all. I think you have to be a teenager to really appreciate her stuff. :lol: I used to be such a fan, but now it just makes me cringe. It doesn't help that she also went off the rails by the time I hit my early/mid 20s. :rolleyes:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:26 am

Oh Mock, I :heart: Neil Gaiman so much! Have you read much of his stuff? American Gods is in my top 10 favorite novels for sure.

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:56 pm

vmh wrote:
VaiVedrai wrote:
vmh wrote:I checked out a new book at work today - The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. I haven't read any of her other books but I tend to like books that have post-apocalyptic themes.
It's the sequel/companion to her book Oryx and Crake; I loved that book and I need to read this one!
Oooh! In that case, should I read Oryx and Crake first?
Yes! It explains some of the details mentioned in the second book, but I think either could be read on its own.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

claire

Postby claire » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:27 pm

i was a big anne rice fan in my 20's too indy, i did go back and read the witching hour again recently and i did like it but i haven't re-read the vampire books in years...

i'm reading 'i slept with joey ramone', if anyone is a ramones fan it's pretty interesting, i haven't had an attention span for reading in months but i can't put this one down (it's not written by a groupie as the title suggests, it's a bio written by his brother) it's mostly making me mad at myself for only ever seeing the ramones once even tho they played around here about a million times...
that's frozen cool...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:21 am

I just bought 2 tickets to see David Sedaris in Grand Rapids. I just heard of his book tour coming up this spring and was just going to see what kind of seats were still open because they normally sell out pretty quickly. Well I ended up getting 3rd row seats and just couldn't say no...

It was an impulse buy, but I think it's worth it. My chances of seeing FotC are slim as I'm becoming more and more practical with my money lately (I refuse to believe it's because I'm growing up :roll:), but this was just one indulgence I couldn't deny myself. Especially for 3rd row seats! To see SEDARIS!

Now I'm pretty much psyched. For other MI people who are interested, he's going to be in Grand Rapids, Saginaw, and Ann Arbor. He will also be elsewhere around the US as well Link to full list of dates

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:08 am

Kelly, thanks for posting the link, and congrats on such good seats! I was a little surprised that you had assigned seats, but then I noticed he's playing the Apollo Theater in NYC! (in November!) That's a large venue, for sure, it would probably be assigned seats as well.

I miss my evening read - time to get back into it. :read:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Bumping this up since the hot read for the summer seems to be Duncan Sarkie's "Two Little Boys". It's being made into a movie, starring our one and only Bret!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

I ordered my copy already. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Hey Nancy sounds like a good idea. I am looking for it now..

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 am

I just got a message - my copy of "Two Little Boys" has shipped! :yay:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:22 am

I plan on ordering it as soon as I set aside enough for the hotels in Berkeley and LA. It would be a nice little plane read.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:58 am

I just posted this in the Duncan Sarkies thread but I'll post here too. I just got a used copy of Two Little Boys from alibris.com for $2.53 plus $4 shipping! 8) They have a new copy for $8.80 right now if anyone is looking to buy it. Also, I'm very willing to share my copy of the book once I'm done reading it. Just let me know if you want to borrow it. :D

Return to “Off topic rambles”