Inspired by spaghetti hoops

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Inspired by spaghetti hoops

Postby jillbean » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:32 pm

VaiVedrai wrote:I still think the worst Charmin commercial in conceptual terms was the one for their "FreshWipes". They demonstrated how much easier it was to wipe off toothpaste with a moist wipe. I just don't think toothpaste is at all a stand-in for excrement in a toilet paper commercial--or otherwise. :roll:

Then again, I also think the new Always maxi-pad commercials ("Try it...and believe.") sound less like they're advertising a product and more like they're recruiting for some kind of cult.

What kills me about the Always campaign as of late is how they end everything with "have a happy period...always!" Let's be honest here: when is it ever happy? Bearable, a relief (if it shows up after you were worrying about having to go get a stick to pee on and wait to see how many lines show up in the window), a reason to have chocolate, yes. But HAPPY?

There was one time I was in a major chain store here in the states called Meijer. I went in looking for pads, go to the aisle marked "feminine needs" and all I can find are Depends pads for incontinence (apparently men shopping at Meijer do not suffer with that condition). I went and asked the pharmacist where the other feminine products were and she looks me dead in the eye and snorts "oh, they're over in the picnic goods aisle. You can bet a man decided to stock them there because only a man would think having your period is a picnic." I still laugh every time I remember that exchange! :lol:

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:35 pm

:roll2:

And it is also weird how incontinence stuff is always with Always etc.

We have the Happy Period ad too - it grates.
It's a psychological analogy

Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Ozpot » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:29 pm

I can't stand tampon & pad adverts. They're very annoying, obnoxiously happy, and ridiculous! They should be more realistic and mention the horrible cramps and pain. :roll:
ImageImage

CailenBraern
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby CailenBraern » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:17 pm

The Always 'have a happy period' always makes me giggle because it reminds me of a clip from Red Dwarf, where Kryten makes Kochanski a banner saying 'have a fantastic period!'

-gets coat-

As a lover...I was seriously inexperienced.

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

:roll2:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:25 pm

I much prefer the idea of the true period ads: sofa, chocolate, alcohol, tears, massive mood swings, too tight pants ...

Although the don't squeeze the Charmin stuff has taken on a new meaning for me. One of our cats is quite plush and squeezable, so I've taken to calling her Charmin, especially since she doesn't necessarily enjoy all the squeezing. :lol: :lol:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:17 am

I thought this was the best place to post this little tidbit I remembered.

A ton of the singing staff that I work with (including my conductor) are from New Zealand, so I've heard a lot of NZ expressions from them. Most recently, I heard them use the expression "you're a dude" to describe someone as being really cool. So for example, if I did something really awesome, someone might say, "thanks songbird, you're a dude." I found it quite amusing :lol:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:08 am

:lol: That one could lead to some interesting situations. Too funny!

You're a dude, girl :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Return to “Off topic rambles”