I hate my job! Or do I?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Re: I hate my job! Or do I?

Postby Faith » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 am

SuzyBatt wrote:Is anyone else having a really crappy week at work?!? :cross: :witsend: :help:

It's not just you. Trust me.

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:00 am

SuzyBatt wrote:Is anyone else having a really crappy week at work?!? :cross: :witsend: :help:

Right here! Actually, it's been a crappy year. I work at a welfare office, in the medicaid department. The worse the economy gets, the busier we are. The really crappy part is that there's a hiring freeze, so we are terribly understaffed, and can't hire on more help. We're getting more applications than ever, and there are less workers than ever to process them. It's stressful and it sucks. I'm in the call center, so I get yelled at by frustrated clients on a daily basis. I would totally quit and look elsewhere, but it's a stable job, and provides medical insurance. As soon as the economy gets better, I'm outta there! I took on the job almost 3 years ago because I wanted to help people in need, but the current conditions are making it hard. :|

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:24 am

I hear you DaMango. Although I'm not in that kind of a situation I know many who are. Short-staffed and overworked. Not a good combination for the organization, the employee or the 'client'.

I've been trying to organize a brief tour of our head-honcho to visit offices of a business unit that we sort of acquired about 18 months ago. No one's been to see them yet, just to say 'hi'. It's been hell trying to schedule our three execs who have to go down there and things keep coming up that are making us have to change dates/times/locations. At this point it's supposed to happen in less than two weeks except we can't invite the employees yet because we don't know exactly where and when they'll be happening. Not to mention I'm in charge of coming up with the content of those meetings but I've so busy wrangling this, and other disasters I haven't had time. Ok, I better stop. I can feel my heart rate increasing...

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:02 am

So I didn't pull a sickie. I donned my fabulous reindeer skin tunic and gave an inspired speech on interpretation, greatly helped by a PP presentation I scraped together in 5 minutes straight before the meeting :halo: I did feel good afterwards and I was even called visionary by a one of the owners :D

There were 4 meetings all in all yesterday and it made me feel sad for leaving. Strangely enough I enjoy travelling around talking to people and planning exhibits a lot more than actual interpretation. In that aspect I can really relate to you, Suze. I think I'll love doing something and then it turns out...not so much. I thought I'd love to be a teacher. Not for me! I imagined being an interpreter at a museum would be super. Not really, no.

Luckily for me I know for sure that I really like working behind the scenes in a museum. Researching, planning, documenting. So, this is what is giving me the guts to look for jobs abroad. I know I like doing it and I know I'm quite good at it. :D Now it remains to see whether anyone can be bothered to let a Norwegian have a go :pray:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

julia.sadie
New arrival

Postby julia.sadie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:25 am

DaMango wrote:I'm in the call center, so I get yelled at by frustrated clients on a daily basis. I would totally quit and look elsewhere, but it's a stable job, and provides medical insurance.

I feel bad for you. Call center jobs can be hard, but they do offer a lot of benefits to employees. I hope you find a good way to manage your stress.

Return to “Off topic rambles”