I hate my job! Or do I?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

I hate my job! Or do I?

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:27 pm

I searched around a bit and couldn't see a thread that related directly to work, jobs, making a living, etc. And yet, we all do it, somehow or other.

Some of you like to complain about it (and I'll give you a chance to reveal yourselves here). Others just kind of ignore it (like me right at this exact moment). And maybe some of you love your job and are really passionate about it. Or you might be looking to start work soon if you're still studying.

So this is meant as a place where you can share a bit about what it is you do, you can rant about how much you hate it, or talk about whatever you want that's work related.

Ok, so I'll go first. I've changed jobs about three times in the last five years and even though I thought I had actually found what I really wanted, I find myself now, one year later, somewhat dissatisfied. I think deep down desk jobs aren't really for me but every time I think about the kind of work I'd want to do, I follow that thought through to its end and see myself living out of a shack because there's no money in it. So I end up letting myself get distracted (big time right now) and maybe don't do the best job I could be doing. And now I'm starting to worry about it a bit because my mid-year review is coming up next week, and what have I got to show for it?? :nails:

Ok, that was way more boring than I'd intended, but you get the drift. Now you guys can pipe up and make this thread way more interesting.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Re: I hate my job! Or do I?

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:32 pm

I loathe my job...also in traumatic process of making formal complaint about my boss. Gaaahh!

Other than that , pretty much as above with Suzy. I'm thinking of leaving my job to go back to uni. However, even stacking shelves seems like a better option at the moment :evil:
It's a psychological analogy

SuzyBatt

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:39 pm

What do you do Zebra. Admin job?

As for stacking shelves, well, one of my 'dreams' would be to have my own book shop. I worked in one for many years in my twenties and have many fond memories. The problem is, that particular dream seems to be quite common and is now nearly totally unfeasible since it's become a big box thing. Even nichey stores that specialize - like a cookbook store which is what I'd want to do.

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:40 pm

ZebraWarriorPrincess wrote:I loathe my job...also in traumatic process of making formal complaint about my boss. Gaaahh!

Other than that , pretty much as above with Suzy. I'm thinking of leaving my job to go back to uni. However, even stacking shelves seems like a better option at the moment :evil:

Sorry to hear about that... it will get better :)

I can not be the only here who actually kinda likes her job (it is more of a lifestyle thing). They are very flexible and I can persue all my interests while still getting a paycheck :supz: They do not pay that well; but I figure being able to sleep late most mornings and be able to do my own thing kinda more than makes up for it.
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

SuzyBatt

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:47 pm

DangerMouse, what is this magical thing you speak of?

I can't say I don't like my job. And by the way, if I'm asking other swhat they do, I should probably share too. I do something called Internal Communications (with caps and everything). I look after an internal newsletter, write annoucements from our president, speeches, etc. I like the writing part. And I like it when it's busy. I think what I'm realizing is that I am a 'production' person, more tactical than strategic. I think ultimately I just don't care enough to want to strategize for these people I work for (or anyone else for that matter). But in my current gig, I think it's sort of expected of me. And I thought that's what I wanted. But that doesn't allow for all my laziness! :lol:

Lifestyle-wise I used to work as a rep for a publishing company and that was the best gig ever, in terms of lifestyle. I had a car, a computer and a cell phone all provided by work. I worked from home and had total control of my schedule. I got to travel as much or little as I wanted. I didn't really like the selling part, but for a while even that took care of itself.
And then, they took it all away. :(

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:52 pm

I work as a commercial manager (contracts/supply chain performance kind of thing)...ordinarily not too bad, but this post sucks. Boss is a tyrant, and yells at me all the time.

It's weird, have worked at the same place since I graduated, but have never worked for such an evil b***h. Previously, it's been pretty relaxed, and I've been able to do what I want, and pursue interests etc. I need to leave really - the whole thing's just taking up too much mental energy that could be better divereted into bag making, lard shifting, PhD applications, uke-playing and Russian-learning.

Shops =cool. Especially small, niche ones

:D

SuzyBatt

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Ah yis, the evil boss. Just today I was in an HR meeting and it was pointed out that people will more often leave their job because of their boss rather than the work. I left my old job because of my boss too (and frankly I prefered it to what I'm doing now).

What did you study at uni? Can you leave? Sounds like you need to leave, really.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:09 pm

History...need to get back into that - applying for PhDs next time they run the funding competition.

asking for internal transfer, so that's the short term fix.

your publishing job sounds awesome :D

CailenBraern
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby CailenBraern » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:12 pm

I kindof landed my job through some kind of miracle. I went to college at 16, dropped out three months later and bummed around for a year, getting a temp job at an amusement park. Then went back to college and stuck it through. Went to university at 20 and dropped out after 6 months this time. Moved back home and bummed about again.

Then the recession hit. And a lot of people got made redundant and an unprecedented amount of people were applying for every position. I applied for my job on a whim and also because I had to apply for a certain amount of jobs in order to get my benefits. I went for the interview, but didn't hold out much hope as I had little experience in an office and no degree. I didn't get the role, but the company liked me so much they invited me back and created a new role just for me.

I have a boss who's pretty damn cool, lovely colleagues, and although it's the kind of job I never thought I'd be happy in, I'm actually pretty settled.

I'm an admin assistant in a utility data collecting company, although for how long I can't tell you. My boss has been insistent in training me up to be an accounts manager since the interview.

Been working there for nearly 8 weeks now, and all going well.

As a lover...I was seriously inexperienced.

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:13 pm

ZebraWarriorPrincess wrote:I work as a commercial manager (contracts/supply chain performance kind of thing)...ordinarily not too bad, but this post sucks. Boss is a tyrant, and yells at me all the time.

It's weird, have worked at the same place since I graduated, but have never worked for such an evil b***h. Previously, it's been pretty relaxed, and I've been able to do what I want, and pursue interests etc. I need to leave really - the whole thing's just taking up too much mental energy that could be better divereted into bag making, lard shifting, PhD applications, uke-playing and Russian-learning.

Dude no one should yell at anyone :tsk: that is beyond inappropriate. You do need to flee. That kinda of stress will make you grumpy and give you wrinkles :shock:

For the record I write software 8)
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

SuzyBatt

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Oh CB, that sounds lovely! To have them create one for you - you must be pretty special! Hope the love holds out, and that you'll also like the new job your boss is training you up to.

Zebra, I'm glad you've at least got a short term fix.

CailenBraern

Postby CailenBraern » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:19 pm

I'm not special, I'm very ordinary. I somehow think it's to do with my sweetness. No one can bear to say no to me.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:27 pm

CB, your boss sounds cool - do you want to be an account manager?

CailenBraern

Postby CailenBraern » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Not for a long time. There's a lot to learn, and it's extremely confusing. I'm happy to go at my own pace.

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:38 pm

SuzyBatt wrote:I searched around a bit and couldn't see a thread that related directly to work, jobs, making a living, etc. And yet, we all do it, somehow or other.

Some of you like to complain about it (and I'll give you a chance to reveal yourselves here). Others just kind of ignore it (like me right at this exact moment). And maybe some of you love your job and are really passionate about it. Or you might be looking to start work soon if you're still studying.

So this is meant as a place where you can share a bit about what it is you do, you can rant about how much you hate it, or talk about whatever you want that's work related.

Suzy, im so glad that you started this thread. I've hoped for this topic for a viry long time. It is quite interesting to learn what everyone does at their workplace, afterall it is where we spend nearly ALL of our time. I certainly spend more time with my co-workers than I do with family & friends. Not by choice. Either you work doing something that is a passion or to make the rent/mortgage & the bills etc. Survival or passion, which is it?

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time at your workplace. It is such a huge part of our day and it's not fair that you have to be so uncomfortable and unhappy. I hope that you will find a speedy solution & that maybe in the meantime we can lend some support. You are welcome to bend my ear.

I've worked in the travel industry since 1982, whew that a lot of years. I worked as a travel agent for over 10 years, then for American Trans Air (Chicago Reservations) for several years. Nearly 6,000 of us lost our jobs when ATA outsourced our jobs to the Phillipines. It was a bitter fight, we lost. Not much after that ATA went out of business. After working years and years of all shifts, weekends, and holidays, mandatory in this industry Ive moved on. Now im at a reservation call center that books flights for all airlines using a promotion that is marketed by our company. I really love the job that I do, the travel industry is fun for the most part. There is no money in it, but I'd rather be content. It can be viry stressful & repetitive. You wouldnt think that it could be stressful but the majority of people are viry demanding and well nowadays everyone wants the most for their buck. Cant blame them. Meanwhile the airlines are nickeling and diming everything out of us. On a good note for the first time in forever Im on regular work hours 900am-500pm no weekends, no holidays. It is refreshing after years of torture, some would find it boring but try working a diff shift every 2 months, working every weekend & holiday, then you'd understand.

Cant wait to hear from everyone on this subject.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Return to “Off topic rambles”