I hate my job! Or do I?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: I hate my job! Or do I?

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:05 am

It is vulgar & unaccomodating that we cannot WTF all day because work gets in the way, period. It is so unfair, lol. :roll:

At my office we cannot myspace, facebook, twitter or IM, which is the norm nowadays. I feel lucky to be able to sneak to WTF at lunchtime. God save me if & when they discover that im hanging out here on my lunch break, our manager will have a coronary. I just cant imagine surviving my workday without WTF though, the world would be a sad place without the company of my fellow WTF's and of course Jem and Bret.

Things at work are viry tense. All of a sudden they are downsizing. What a shock to get a call over the weekend from my boss (Sunday night) letting me know that they had 'let the 1st one go'. This all took place this past Friday night after the most of the staff had left. What a shocker. I knew it had been slow, and this is the economic climate these days but I was stunned. It makes me scared out of my wits. Who will be next, only time will tell it seems that nobody is safe. I have the 2nd highest seniority but im getting insurance benefits that they dont have to provide to a part timer. I can see how they would rid themselves of the full timers for part timers & no paid benefits. It's just the way it is. Im a nervous wreck.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:26 am

Oh, 4ecf.....I hope all they do is get stingy with your benefits, not take them away completely. Vibes that they don't downsize a lot and that you keep your job. It sounds like with your seniority, you're in a good position.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:33 am

I'm slightly scared too, we've updated all our systems so that it's easier for use...but may indavertenly put me out of job. So I have been whoring myself out, telling them I'm interested in lots of other roles...saving my own arse!
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 am

Fingers crossed for you two - makes me mee bad for moaning about mine! :shock:
It's a psychological analogy

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Ugh, I know what you mean. There has been a pretty major organizational change at work recently, at the executive level, and it turns out there will be some people let go. I'm in a strange position because I find out about a lot of stuff before it happens - because I need to write these announcements. Today I was talking to a counterpart in another business unit and I know that she may not be working here anymore in the next few weeks - but she doesn't. How awkward! And now I also learned that my own department will be affected further down the road, but I don't know when or how.

On the up side, I was recently involved in some M&A negotiations (in a fly-on-the-wall role), and I was amazed to discover how important the 'people' element was. A bunch of our folks would possibly be going out to another company and their seniority was at issue. But not taking their seniority would have been a deal breaker for us. So at least that was heartening.

Zebra, how's the sick leave going? I wish I could burn-out! (kidding... or am I...?)

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:33 pm

:shock: Yikes... I hope it all turns out well for all y'all.

ZWP: no bothers; it is all good 8) Where I am there is no talk of bad stuff; which is really good since I tend to be a bad employee :P
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 pm

I was always OK, but am latterly shocking :roll:
It's a psychological analogy

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:15 am

Ok, I've been semi-unemployed(it's complicated) for the last year and I just started working again. yeah!! I do love my job, especially right now. I work from home **sweet** and am doing nothing. LOVE IT!! Of course, things will build up steam soon enough, but I do love working in my "loungewear".

The job itself is great, I work with a lot of great people all over the place. Then again, the best part of the job is also the biggest downfall. I work at home. I talk to people all day but it's usually work related. I hardly ever see clients in person so ,when I do, I talk like a mad person. I can commensurate with stay at home mom's.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

SuzyBatt

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:43 am

I figured I would pull this one out and dust it off, since I did start it...

I finally had my mid-year evaluation at work last Friday. Lucky for me it was right on the back of a very busy week where I was able to put together a three-page long message that had about 10 people reviewing it, and it was done well and on time. I swear, I have no idea how I can waste SOOO much time and no one seems to notice.

But that may all be coming to an end. I've got big meetings with all of our employees I've got to organize and the guy who's been working with me will be gone as of Friday this week. So I'm all alone in planning it and writing the script. And I'm WAY behind. And today I still managed to spend a third of my day on here. Ugh, I'm thinking I'm going to have to go cold turkey. I'd hate to get fired over a message board (but this would so be the message board I'd want to get fired over!).

I guess I just needed to unload a bit. But I really do need to stop coming on here when I'm at work. I think I need to write that on the blackboard 100 times.

I WILL NOT VISIT THE WTF FORUM WHEN AT WORK

For the record, I'm not a work right now so, it's ok.

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:45 am

SuzyBatt wrote:I WILL VISIT THE WTF FORUM WHEN AT WORK
I WILL VISIT THE WTF FORUM WHEN AT WORK

:snakeman: Mwahahahaha...
ImageImage

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:56 am

SuzyBatt wrote:I figured I would pull this one out and dust it off, since I did start it...

I finally had my mid-year evaluation at work last Friday. Lucky for me it was right on the back of a very busy week where I was able to put together a three-page long message that had about 10 people reviewing it, and it was done well and on time. I swear, I have no idea how I can waste SOOO much time and no one seems to notice.

But that may all be coming to an end. I've got big meetings with all of our employees I've got to organize and the guy who's been working with me will be gone as of Friday this week. So I'm all alone in planning it and writing the script. And I'm WAY behind. And today I still managed to spend a third of my day on here. Ugh, I'm thinking I'm going to have to go cold turkey. I'd hate to get fired over a message board (but this would so be the message board I'd want to get fired over!).

I guess I just needed to unload a bit. But I really do need to stop coming on here when I'm at work. I think I need to write that on the blackboard 100 times.

For the record, I'm not a work right now so, it's ok.

haha.. I have the same problem, Suzy! I tell myself I'll just take a little break from work and see what's going on in the forum and before I know it 2 hours have passed!
Image Image

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:32 am

I can sympathize and relate to those of you who are in a tough place at work (hope it's going better for you, ZWP - it sounds like you especially are having a tough time). I was in a really bad job up until March of this year. I work with the whole home mortgage/foreclosure mess going on right now. I used to be sort of an assistant supervisor over a woefully understaffed and undertrained department. We were part of a larger area with lousy management that had no idea what we did and did not want to utilize or spend any money on any technology that we desperately needed. And honestly, NO ONE knew what they were doing. I tried, I really tried.

I could go on forever about this, but I won't. I finally hit a wall in early February when the department was "restructured" and an already overwhelmed staff was halved. (No one was laid off, it was just shuffled around in a weird way and half of the staff was reassigned to something else.) I heard the news and knew that was it. I started applying for other jobs within the same company that day. And I was so so so very fortunate to leave a month and a half later.

The good thing was this that job taught me that I could think on my feet much better than I thought. I learned to multi-task much better, and in some ways gained much more confidence in my abilities. But in other ways, it totally broke my spirit. My anxiety attacks returned big time, and I used to have to go into a conference room 2-3 times a day just to calm down.

I hear it's actually gotten worse at my old department. Two people have left since out of sheer frustration. :bang:

My new job is...delightful. It's so quiet. No one is scolding me with non-stop emails about all of the things I *didn't* do. I'm almost completely independent, I get to write all day (I research various residential properties and make recommendations on their values), and my boss treats me like an adult. I've never felt like, "OMG, I have NO idea what I'm doing!" and my anxiety has subsided. I don't dread Mondays anymore. I can't tell you how very fortunate I feel now.

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:34 am

That sounds great, I'm glad you decided not 'put up and shut up', like so many people do.
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

SuzyBatt

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:32 pm

Ozpot wrote:
SuzyBatt wrote:I WILL VISIT THE WTF FORUM WHEN AT WORK

:snakeman: Mwahahahaha...

Looks like your evil plan is working Ozpot - I'm here again!!!

Ok, I'm logging off now... Bye...

:?

:cry:

:tears:

:computer:

:bolt: