Harry Potter

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Re: Harry Potter

Postby Ozpot » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:53 pm

I'm seeing Harry Potter tonight~! I am bouncing 'round with excitement! :whitey:
ImageImage

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Yeah ! Have loads of fun, I am sure you will enjoy it!

Where abouts in Ontario are you from? We have a summer place not far from Kingston, in Thousand Islands area.

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Oshawa. It's a small, crummy city. :lol:
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:00 pm

I saw Harry Potter last Wednesday. It was my first Harry Potter movie ever. I've never read the books. In fact, I've been trying to avoid the craze.

I'm still recovering from the HP book release night at Borders and that was like, 2 years ago? I was lucky enough to work that night in the cafe and holy sh*t! :doomed:

The only reason I went was because my younger sister (a HP fan) was moaning around the house because she's been having issues. Money issues. Long story short, she was upset that she I had to put off seeing the movie because she didn't have the cash. So I just bought tickets for us. This might not be the right place to say it but...ummm...I couldn't get into it. Maybe, it was my mistake that I've never read the books first or that I started with the sixth movie.

It also sparked a lot of questions from me (which may sound ridiculous right now but bear in mind that I have no prior knowledge of the story). These questions include:

1. Who's Dumbledore? My sister answered this one for me, to the annoyance of our theatre going neighbors.
2. Is Snape evil?

3. What's up with Helena Bonham Carter?

4. Do Hermione and Ron have a past?

I'm still unfamiliar with several of the characters in the previous discussions. Ah, so much to learn!
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:15 am

I'm PMing you...
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:49 am

Haha! That shut her down!

2. Is Snape evil? It's a bit of a is he or isn't he...it's revealed in the final book, so I won't spoil it for you :) (even though you haven't read any of the books!)

3. What's up with Helena Bonham Carter? She plays Bellatrix LeStrange, a certified nutter and rampant death eater (follower of Voldemort). She killed Harry's Godfather. She's quite evil oh yes.

4. Do Hermione and Ron have a past? They've been friends, she just wants Ron...and he's too dumb too see it :D
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:02 am

Okay, so saw it again on Saturday...and I couldn't stop giggling everytime I saw Draco in a black suit....wtf!?! Why isn't he wearing a uniform like everyone else?!

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:37 am

So far I have encountered two camps; either LOVE it or HATE it! There seems to be no in-between.

We made the mistake of not getting there super early so we had to sit about 10 rows back from the screen-it was kind of like being at an Omnimax theater without the motion sickness and in very uncomfortable seats. I am a fan of being in the back third of the theater and in the middle of the row, hmmmm, guess we'll just HAVE to go see it again and get there in time for those seats.

Any how, while I think there are some major parts of the book that would have been great to see, like the big school-wide battle at the end (budget cuts?) and that they burrow scene was just random, I think they did a good job overall. I really liked seeing the relationships that the kids have in real life carry over onto the screen so nicely; like where Harry and Ron finish fighting over the text book. I loved seeing the twins' magic shop almost as much as seeing them!

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:38 am

I'm in between!

I enjoyed it, I didn't hate it...but wasn't salivating over it either :)

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 am

I have to see it again. But I want to re read the book first. Just wanted to say though, Vanessa, that havin not read the books or even seen the previous movies puts you at a huge disadvantage. Obviously the stories are intended to be a series, and this "late in the game" you've missed approx. 12 hours of important backstory. I'd highly suggest watching the previous movies before making your final judgment :)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:12 am

Oh and Richard Harris was THE original Dumbledore. He played him in the 1st 2 films and then sadly, died. I'm still trying to get used to Michael Gambon...he's not bad, just different.

Draco doesn't wear his Slytherin robes in school??? That's the kind of thing that jolts me out of the movie, grrrr! (Nit-pick much? Why yes...yes I do!)

They better have filmed the last bits as they were in the book.....
ImageImage

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:14 am

No you're not alone! Why was he wearing a suit?! It looked silly!

And I preferred the original Dumbledore (shame he died :( ).

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:22 am

I liked the way he played him...much more soft-spoken and Grandfatherly, which belied the power we knew he had.
I hated the scene in GoF where new DD gets all up in Harry's face....that wasn't in the book!
ImageImage

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:36 am

Exactly! Soft spoken and kind...but powerful, Michael Gambon made him have an Irish accent and he seemed cranky all the time.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:59 am

Ahhhh, a kindred spirit! I don't understand why he'd come into a series where the headmaster was already beloved by fans and change him so drastically. Bah! I mean, he's still Dumbledore but......not the same. :hrmpf:
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”