Genealogy advice.. Help!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Genealogy advice.. Help!

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Okay so my Mom has asked me to do a Genealogy chart of our family. But the problem is I know nothing about how to do one of those. I Googled it and found tons of sites but have no clue as to which would be the best :? . So my question is do any of you have any idea how to go about starting a genealogy chart? To me it feels a little overwhelming to start something like this. Is it? Most of the Elders in my family have already past on and I think there are only 2 siblings on each side still alive. I've got countless Cousins but I don't think anyone of them would know much more than we do already. :|

So any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
ImageImageImageImage

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Genealogy advice.. Help!

Postby ItsAllRyche » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:04 pm

Friends that I know here that did a genealogy of their family started at the Morman Library. (You do not need to be Morman).
It seems the Mormans (sorry if that is not correct)are very meticulous record keepers, for various reasons, they follow everyone from Ellis Island on...as explained by my LDS friends.
Co-workers of mine went to the library in Mesa and found the women at the library were so very helpful and they got loads of information in a relatively short period of time over a few visits. :)
So, maybe try that?
Good luck!

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 pm

Thanks! We do have a Morman Library very close to me. I shall check that out. :D
ImageImageImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:16 am

I wouldn't know where to look for information, other than church records and censuses, but I keep my chart online at www.geni.com :wink:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:50 am

Thanks Biscuit! :)
ImageImageImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:36 am

My cousin started one on Ancestry.com and through that, he's had many members of his extended family contact him, send pics, old church member lists, pics of headstones, etc. It is a pretty cool site. BUT...he did pay the extra money for digging deeper. Not sure how much he pays yearly.....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:11 am

I have started with Ancesty.com but am hitting a brick wall with not knowing some dates and complete names. :bang: My Mom is trying to contact some extended family that might know... :| Thanks Laura :)
ImageImageImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:22 am

Yeah, ancestry.com is good :nod:

I do family history in periods :worry: and a few years back I was at ancestry.com looking for relatives who had emigrated from Sicily to the US. Through ancestry.com I was able to access Ellis Island records, which was really good :D
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Return to “Off topic rambles”