Accents: Or How I Learned the Difference Between Cop and Cap

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: Accents: Or How I Learned the Difference Between Cop and Cap

Postby SheWolf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:16 pm

The minute I arrived in Glasgow a native Glaswegian said something to me that sounded like no language man has ever known. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:21 pm

When I first started my job the same happened to me...i asked him to put in an email - for audit purposes :D
My accent's in the WTFIUO vids thread
It's a psychological analogy

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Zebra talks very fast and sounds posh-ish :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:15 pm

It's the nerves and booze! :D

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:17 pm

The fast talking of the posh talking?

Apparently I sound Britishy, but I think with booze in the picture I may start to sound more Americany...
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:27 pm

My accent goes all over the shop when I'm with someone who has one.

I think of myself as mainly accentless, even though I clearly have one of some kind :D

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:17 am

I thought I would have real trouble in Glasgow, but they were easy to understand!

But I didn't understand a word some Northern woman said to me in a supermarket....I had to ask her to repeat herself 3 times :oops:
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

seasick_sarah
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby seasick_sarah » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:02 am

Eee bah goom, if brehhhns were goonpaoohhder, you'd not 'ave enoof ter blohhhh yer 'at off.

Just kidding! :P

That just reminded me: last December I was working at a pizza restaurant taking phone orders (...for two days...:oops: I have a phobia of talking on the phone!) and this elderly Scottish lady rang up asking for a main-sized Calabrese pasta.

Me: Good evening, how may I help you?
Her: I'd like a meen calabreeeeze.
Me: Okay, a main calabrese ('cala-bray-zee'); was there anything else?
Her: No, a meen calabreeeeze.
Me: Yes, a main calabrese. Was that all?
Her: No, a MEEEEEN CALABREEEEEEEEEZE!!
Me: Yes, I've got a main 'calabreeze'...
Her: MEEEEEEEEN CALABREEEEEEEEEZE!!!!
Me [getting very worried and about to have a panic attack]: Um...okay, a main cala-
Her [very exasperated]: Look, can I speak to somebody else?
[I hand the phone to one of the other girls and go off and bawl my eyes out in the bathroom...]

:shock:

:rolls:
Last edited by seasick_sarah on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:11 am

Haha, did you find out what a MEEN calabrese was?! :D

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:27 am

Ah, seasick_sarah, you have my sympathy. I hate talking on the phone, too. I also had a job once where I was working the information desk at a store and had a call one day from someone asking about an item in our catalog. I was looking at the right page, but I just could NOT understand what the actual item was that the woman was asking about. What she was saying bore no relation to anything I was seeing on the page. Eventually, working clockwise or something, I figured out which item she was asking for, but the whole experience was horrific.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:59 pm

Today an eastern European woman asked me if i was from Australia, which is not the first time someone has questioned my accent, but it is the first time a foreign person has.

In my first job I was known as the Australian Girl in the deli and was told by a former boss that if I wanted to go home for Christmas to let them know in plenty of time so they could sort out my time off, seeing as I would have so far to travel (bless!). They were a mixture of happy and embarrassed when I told them I was from round the corner!

Another time I was serving a regular customer and told him how it was my last week in that job. He asked me if i was going back to Australia. I replied with a bemused "What?!", to which he quickly came back with "Sorry! New Zealand?" I wish :yawinkle:

Thing is I've never been to Australia or even that part of the world! The only way I picked it up is that my Dublin native father had lived in Australia and New Zealand during the 60's and 70's and had a bit of a twang, but nothing major. He would say
"G' day mate" as much as he would say "How-ya".

My accent is pretty much all over the place though; I moved from Oxford to London when I was 13 and my slight "Ooo arr" country accent was set upon when I started school.
Then I moved from London to Galway, so it was my general english accent that got a ribbing. At 21 I moved down south to Cork city and picked up that accent which is hard to describe so I'll let the famous Tommy Tiernan do it for me

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:25 am

Let's swap :) I get asked if I'm English all the time...even in Australia... :oops:

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

eejm

Postby eejm » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:17 pm

When I was a teenager, I took a cruise with my family. I got my hair done aboard the ship by a Welsh lady. She seemed to understand me fairly well, but I felt rude asking her to repeat each sentence she said at least two times. She did have a gorgeous lilt to her accent that I haven't heard before or since.

VaiVedrai

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:46 pm

I have a much more annoying habit of repeating accents. If I have a teacher who speaks with an accent, then later on when discussing the classwork/quoting the teacher I will slip into the accent the teacher uses. This is not meant to mock the teachers in question; I respect them all, but as an actor and a "parrot", I pick up on these things often.
I have a film studies teacher from India and keep on quoting her with accent. I'm not as worried about picking up on a music teacher's almost-stereotypical Quebecois accent because I'm not in his class, but the film studies teacher...that's more worrisome. :lol:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Eejm, the welsh accent is so nice but if it's a thick accent then it's hard to catch quite a few words. I'm sure she was well used to having to repeat herself :)

One day in the deli I had an elderly(ish) american tourist ask me what type of soup we had. I started to tell her but before I could finish she got all agitated and turned to her husband saying "what is she saying I don't understand her". Even worse though is the fact she made no effort to be discreet. I tried again, this time enunciating every silable but got the same reaction.
Luckly her husband understood me and "translated"! :doh: :bang:

Return to “Off topic rambles”