Accents: Or How I Learned the Difference Between Cop and Cap

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
rotunda
Lost but happy at sea

Re: Accents: Or How I Learned the Difference Between Cop and Cap

Postby rotunda » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Being born in London to northern parents meant that I would always pronounce certain vowels different to most other southerners when I was a kid. Then working in customer service created an odd edge to that. It wasn't as easy to be understood by non-English speakers if I talked in my usual fast slur-y way so I would enunciated much more clearly. Now Londoners I meet on a regular basis, after a few months usually ask me which part of Australia I'm from. Or Canada. :?

That really says more about other peoples hearing than my accent I think.

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:27 pm

rotunda wrote:Londoners I meet on a regular basis, after a few months usually ask me which part of Australia I'm from. Or Canada. :?

Yeah, I've had Canada a few times too! The first time anyone ever asked me if I was from another country I was 10. A substitute teacher asked if I was from America. When I said no she said "Oh sorry, you must be from Canada"!

I used to work in Customer Service too and had a woman ask me what part of America I came from and refused to believe I had only been there on holiday.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm from the northeastern US, and my children are growing up in Kentucky. So my accent is mocked by my own children, lol. I don't have much of a Boston accent anymore but there are still some words I say differently (some would say, more correctly) like "ah-range" instead of "oh-range" and "Flah-rida" instead of "Floh-rida", etc. In fact, they made fun of me so much for saying "fah-rest" instead of "foh-rest" during bedtime stories that now I just say "the woods", lol. It's amazing how many fairy tales take place in the fah-rest. ;)

rotunda
Lost but happy at sea

Postby rotunda » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:58 pm

kipples wrote:I used to work in Customer Service too and had a woman ask me what part of America I came from and refused to believe I had only been there on holiday.

I get that a lot and always find it incredibly weird when it happens. As if I couldn't possibly know where I was born and grew up more accurately than they do. :lol:

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 pm

mockingbird wrote: In fact, they made fun of me so much for saying "fah-rest" instead of "foh-rest" during bedtime stories that now I just say "the woods", lol. It's amazing how many fairy tales take place in the fah-rest. ;)

For some reason the english part of my accent causes me to say "ide-yer" instead of ide-a.
A girl I lived with who also grew up in England would say it the same way as well. My mates would rip the p*** out of me so I now say "I have a (cunning!) plan", to which they'll usually say "You mean an ideyer?!"
I get my own back by making fun of the way they say film ("fil-um")

rotunda wrote: As if I couldn't possibly know where I was born and grew up more accurately than they do. :lol:

Yeah, as if I'm going to suddenly stop and say "oh no, you're right I am from America I just totally forgot my life there for a second"! :doh:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

mockingbird wrote: like "ah-range" instead of "oh-range" and "Flah-rida" instead of "Floh-rida", etc. In fact, they made fun of me so much for saying "fah-rest" instead of "foh-rest" during bedtime stories that now I just say "the woods"
I say those words the way you do. I didn't realize saying them either way was part of an accent. I just thought there were different way to pronounce those words. Do Kentuckians have a southern accent? Johnny Depp is from Kentucky but he doesn't sound southern.

The midwestern accent kills me. I went to Paris with some Chicagoans who called it Pear-is. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 pm

Hm.

I say ore'-inge................Floor'-ida..............fore'-ist............and Pare'-iss. (Those are supposed to be accent marks on the 1st syllables...)

Doesn't Johnny have a slight French accent now? :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:26 pm

I've always said "ah-range." I didn't think arrange was pronounced any other way.

ETA: Oh, wait. You meant orange.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:36 pm

bwahahaha....

Laura, I kid because I love.

Pare-is. :roll2:

:twisted:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:34 am

How do you say it....cuz I want to laugh. :twisted:

(Please don't say Pare-ee.....lol!)
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 am

SheWolf wrote:Do Kentuckians have a southern accent? Johnny Depp is from Kentucky but he doesn't sound southern.

It's definitely southern, but not that pretty southern drawl that people from SC and GA have. It's kind of twangy and hillbilly. (Sorry KY.) J. Depp does not have that accent. ;) Actually a lot of people around here don't have it but I live in the "city", lol. It's the kind of thing you either definitely have it or you don't at all.

"Pare-is", lol. :twisted: Sorry. ;) There's a Paris KY so I hear people say "Pare-is" all the time, lol. There's also a Versailles KY and people call it "Ver-sales". In fact you have to call it that, it's what it's called - people would look at you very strangely and then laugh at you if you tried to call it "Ver-sigh". (I know from experience, lol.)

Oh and I pronounce it Pah-ris, with a short "a" sound.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:04 pm

See now, that's strange to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEASRwfBTj4
:D
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:14 pm

:lol: Yup, that's how you say Paris and London, lol. He should make a tutorial for Kentuckians on how to say Versailles. ;)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:07 pm

LauraK wrote:How do you say it....cuz I want to laugh. :twisted:
I don't know how to spell the way I say it but I say it the way it's meant to be said, you know, more correctly. :whip:

Edit: Oh yeah, I say it like the dude in the video.

The Versailles thing reminds me of some the streets in New Orleans with French names that I assumed were pronounced as if you were French, little did I know the New Orleaners have their own pronounciation for those things.

I noticed last week on Survivor that Jeff Probst has some weird ass accent - he said "sahhhhft drink" rather than "sawft drink" haha. I think somewhere between the 2 would be a standard American accent, right? At least he didn't say pop. Puh-lease, that's so 1950's. :snakeman:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Then you should not be laughing at me cuz I say it just like the dude in the video too!

At least he didn't say pop. Puh-lease, that's so 1950's.

Them's fightin words, missy. I was born in '67 and here in MI, we do say pop. And we like to say it. It's a catch-all so we don't have to specify exactly which pop we're talking about.... :lol: :P

My aunt and uncle lived in NC for a number of years when he was in the Marines and they came home saying crazy things like how they'd like to have a "soda" or a "slurpee..." :rolleyes:
Here, a soda is ice cream in seltzer water with syrup and whipped cream.....and a slurpee is a particular brand of frozen coke you can only get at 7-11. :P You can't get a Slurpee at KMart or the gas station, but you can get a frozen coke!
If I called my aunt on something like this, she might get exasperated and say something like "Well, John Brown!" and I'd be all :wtf:

:lol:
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”