Accents: Or How I Learned the Difference Between Cop and Cap

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: Accents: Or How I Learned the Difference Between Cop and Cap

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:20 pm

LauraK wrote:Then you should not be laughing at me cuz I say it just like the dude in the video too!
Oh. I thought you said it like Pare -is which I thought was the same as Pear-is. Le touche!

LauraK wrote:Here, a soda is ice cream in seltzer water with syrup and whipped cream
What part of this isn't 1950s? Do you drink this at the counter of the five and dime in your poodle skirt & bobby sox or is that just malts and eggcreams? :P
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:52 pm

SheWolf wrote:
LauraK wrote:Then you should not be laughing at me cuz I say it just like the dude in the video too!
Oh. I thought you said it like Pare -is which I thought was the same as Pear-is. Le touche!

That's what I thought too. Sorry Laura. So now I guess we'll have to make fun of you for something else. ;)

SheWolf wrote:
LauraK wrote:Here, a soda is ice cream in seltzer water with syrup and whipped cream
What part of this isn't 1950s? Do you drink this at the counter of the five and dime in your poodle skirt & bobby sox or is that just malts and eggcreams? :P

Like this. :twisted: :lol:

Actually I noticed at the grocery store just yesterday that the soda aisle is labelled "Tonic". Tonic?? Who calls it tonic anymore?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Oh really now. If you've never had an ice cream soda soda, then it's your loss. I haven't actually had one in an ice cream shop for about 3 years...and we do still have a few Sanders where we can indeed sit at the counter on a stool (and spin around) and are served in old-school metal sundae cups....I remember the pointy paper cups placed into the metal ones and filled with ice cold water.......here's a pic!

And here's an ice cream soda....it'd look better (and chocolatey-er) if I made it. :P

And I would not drink it in a poodle skirt, but I could probably get behind wearing this 50's style, especially since I wear capri pants now:

You guys are just askin for me to hop a plane and come to your houses and smack you around..... :twisted: I'll do it.

no,i won't. if i could, I'd hop a plane and go see fotc in Amsterdam w/SW, nonch, and indy...
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:10 am

Yeah if you were any closer I would never talk smack like this because I know you'd come after me, lol. ;)

I want ice cream now.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 am

I've heard of an ice cream soda but I never gave any thought to what it actually is and I don't think I've ever seen one. Ice cream in seltzer, sounds barfy.

Tonic? I thought that was something medicinal. Oh like gin and tonic? What's tonic? Like selzer?
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:36 am

I don't know about ice cream in seltzer but ice cream in root beer is awesome. :drinkers: :tonqe:

SheWolf wrote:Tonic? I thought that was something medicinal. Oh like gin and tonic? What's tonic? Like selzer?

"This medicinal tonic will do wonders for your constitution, Ms. SheWolf," lol. It's a very old fashioned word I think. I guess it does refer to specifically that stuff you mix with gin but my grandparents used it as a word for all soda, like Coke and 7-Up etc. Speaking of which, I have no idea what the difference is between soda, tonic and seltzer. In a technical, bartending sense I mean.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:04 pm

I think they're all the same things- sparkling water. Fizzy water. You can get it with quinine or without...I only know this cuz my Gramma used to get it to helps with cramps in her legs.

A chocolate soda: Chocolate syrup in the bottom of a tall soda glass. Spritz in seltzer/soda water/tonic water. Add 2 healthy scoops of good choc ice cream, a little more choc syrup, whipped cream, and top with cherry. Place a tall straw and a long teaspoon into the glass and serve. Yum.

My Grandparents used to sit on the porch in the summer and have a Vernor's float (Vernor's and vanilla ice cream) or an orange creamsicle float or a root beer float.
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:46 pm

LauraK wrote:My Grandparents used to sit on the porch in the summer and have a Vernor's float (Vernor's and vanilla ice cream) or an orange creamsicle float or a root beer float.

Oh yum! :tonqe:

I used to make orange soda floats for myself when I worked at Seattle's Best and The Cheesecake Factory. I kind of miss working at a cafe because when it was slow, I used to experiement and combine different things together to make interesting drinks. When the Borders in Rancho Cucamonga first opened, we had a guy come into the cafe requesting sparkling water mixed with chocolate sauce. I tried it myself. No bueno! :sick: It might work with ice cream but alone it's just...weird.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:25 pm

I must live under a rock coz I've never heard of Verner's either. This ice cream & soda thing doesn't grab me. But I can attest to the fact that custard and mango ice is a good combination as I just scarfed one of these down:

http://www.ritasice.com/cool-treats/menu/gelati.aspx
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:21 pm

Oh, those look delish, SW! :tonqe: I'll have the one on the right...looks like choc on raspberry or cherry?

Vernors is a ginger ale that's a Detroit thing and has been around a loooong time. Read about it a bit here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors

When my cousin and I went on the SuperWalk years ago, Vernors was one of the sponsors. I hate Vernors, btw...not a fan of ginger ale. Let me tell you how much it sucked while walking 20 miles at age 12 or 13, finding that the only thing to drink at checkpoints was warm Vernors. It sucked hard.
But it's a Detroit institution. :P

When the Conchords play my backyard, I'll make sodas, floats, sundaes, shakes, blizzards, cake, pie, and cookies for everyone! :D
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:21 am

I like pie.

We have a weird ginger drink here, too, it's called Ale-8-One. It's gross. It's super sweet.

Oh and Laura, you are cracking me up with your documentary photos. :lol: Are you running down to the corner shoppe and ordering these drinks? ;)

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:05 am

I'm a ginger ale fan. I love all things fizzy and bubbly. They carry Vernors and Canada Dry at grocery stores in California but I haven't met too many people who drink it.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:15 am

mock wrote:Laura, you are cracking me up with your documentary photos. Are you running down to the corner shoppe and ordering these drinks?

No....but certain people who may never have seen or heard of these things might need a pic too know what I'm talking about. :P ;)

Plus, i like finding pics of things I've been talking about for demonstrative purposes.
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:02 am

I know what you mean, I do the same thing actually. ;) In fact here's a pic of Ale-8-One. :lol:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:44 am

"A late one..." *wink-wink* :lol:

I like seeing regional products...it makes me want to come check out your stores. :)
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”