Vancouver!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Vancouver!

Postby Ozpot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:15 am

I figure that this should have a thread. I was going to dedicate it to Canada entirely, but the country overall has quite a few boring bits. I chose Vancouver because it's the most lovely bit.
It's the biggest city in Canada, the second being Toronto. It is a heck of a lot more clean and less polluted than Toronto.
I went on a trip there last summer. Needless to say it was breathtaking, the best province in all the country. The air is incredibly fresh. The houses are gorgeous. The beaches and oceans are nice, but the most eye-catching sight is the boats on the sea.
I remember being in a drive across a bridge, and watching the rain fall into the sea. it was beautiful.
I just had a burst of inspiration to write about this amazing province.
I really want to retire there. :heart:

Here is a song which might help you imagine the experience~
ImageImage

stephv27
Half a shapely halibut

Re: Vancouver!

Postby stephv27 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:48 am

It sounds (and looks, hee hee) beautiful Ozpot. I've always wanted to visit Prince Edward Island. You've inspired me to turn it into a cross country road trip, PE Island to Vancouver. Let me know which 'boring bits' I should skip. :wink:
You'd have to be deaf to hear that.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:10 am

Nice thought Oz. I has thought about starting a Canadian thread for Canada Day but wasn't near a computer at the time.

Some of the boring bits would be the prairies where there's a whole lot of nothin'. You certainly wouldn't want to miss Montreal (not that I'm biased or anything).

As for Vancouver, yes, it is indeed a beautiful blend of nature and metropolis. But I just can't let this go by... Vancouver is actually third largest, after Toronto and Montreal, though Montreal and Vancouver seem to trade 2nd rank on a regular basis.

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:13 am

SuzyBatt wrote:But I just can't let this go by... Vancouver is actually third largest, after Toronto and Montreal, though Montreal and Vancouver seem to trade 2nd rank on a regular basis.

Woops, thanks. :P
ImageImage

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:14 am

stephv27 wrote:It sounds (and looks, hee hee) beautiful Ozpot. I've always wanted to visit Prince Edward Island. You've inspired me to turn it into a cross country road trip, PE Island to Vancouver. Let me know which 'boring bits' I should skip. :wink:

Saskatchewan is nothing but flat land. It's quite boring. You wouldn't be missing anything. :lol:
Same with Ontario, there's really nothing interesting here at all. :roll:
ImageImage

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:30 am

Yay! Love this Canada-themed thread (well Vancouver really, but still...)
You're right, British Columbia is breathtaking. And it's got awesome skiing! :supz:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:45 am

My sister told me that lots of Kiwis and Aussies go to Banff for it's skiing. :D
ImageImage

songbird

Postby songbird » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:49 am

She wasn't lying! Go to any ski resort in BC, and the entire hill is run by Aussies and Kiwis. One of the many reasons that I enjoy ski trips so much :D
I'll never forget my private snowboarding lessons with a certain gorgeous Australian snowboarder...brings back good memories... :rolleyes:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

LikeACurry
Consistently Mediocre

Postby LikeACurry » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:12 am

Ozpot wrote:My sister told me that lots of Kiwis and Aussies go to Banff for it's skiing. :D

Really? Its a few hours from where I am but perhaps I could take a trip there during ski season ;)

I'd love to go back to the west coast, it is beautiful. And you're right about Sask. you're not missing too much plus I don't care for the road conditions :(
Oh, it was always "Bowie's bumped into a door..."
ImageImageImage

Maze
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Maze » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Ozpot wrote:I figure that this should have a thread. I was going to dedicate it to Canada entirely, but the country overall has quite a few boring bits. I chose Vancouver because it's the most lovely bit.

Great suggestion for a post, Oz. I could not agree with you more. Having enjoyed the city on a few occassions, I think the world of Vancouver. It's widely recognized as one of the best places to live: tied for 4th with Auckland on a 2009 list while good ol' Wellington placed 12th. (http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent. ... _of_living)

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few more reasons why Vancouver deserves the love -

Awesome panoramas and generally nice weather
    One of the greenest cities on the planet
    Thriving arts/cultural scene and excellent world cuisine
    Super polite people (I think the same can be said for most of Canada, and the guys have mentioned it themselves in concert)
    Senior citizen - friendly city (ditto for the rest of Cda, I hear it is a really great place to retire..but that's a long way off for you WTFers)
    And it's the city in which FOTC was inspired by club experience to write "Too Many D's on the Dancefloor"!!!

I could probably come up with more but I'll leave that in the good hands of our dear Canuck friends. One more thing - as most of you know, all the world's eyes will be on Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics. Man, wish I could get some tickets for that!!!

Maze

Postby Maze » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Oh, forgot ONE BIG REASON why I love Vancouver and Canada in general, so much: they have great contests!!! I noticed this one when I bought some Zespri Kiwifruit - Green variety - recently, and was devastated that it's limited to legal Cdn residents only. Why can't we have great contests like this here???

Contest is called the Great Kiwi Adventure. Prize includes:

1. Return Pacific economy airfare from Vancouver,Canada to Auckland, New Zealand with Air New Zealand;
2. seven (7) nights accommodation in a beachfront villa;
3. ground transportation to and from the airport;
4. a White Island Tour;
5. a Glow-worm kayak trip;
6. a Kaituna jet boat experience;
7. an orchard tour and one voucher for NZD$200 at the Kiwi360 souvenir store;
8. a flight from Kiwi360 to Maketu coastline;
9. one lunch at a restaurant and location selected by ZESPRI and to be advised to the winner; and
10. a 15 minute blokart experience.

Approximate retail value of the prize is $20,000. For more information, go to:
http://thegreatkiwiadventure.com/

Good luck, Canadian friends!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Last edited by Maze on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:10 pm

I am fortunate to have friends all through Canada. The older ones are "snow birds" that live here all winter. The younger ones are through music and sport.

I have visited the BC area on several ocassions. My buds live in Kamloops so we went to Whistler and Vancouver. I have friends that have shown me around Edmonton and Banff, and Lake Louise. I must say nowhere is prettier.

On HDTV they show an hour long aerial tour of BC. Wow.

But I must disagree with "there is nothing in Ontario". Well there is Thousand Isles St. Lawrence Seaway and Kingston on the Lake. Love the history along the waterways and the forts and castles. I love Montreal and Ottawa and of course up through St John in New Brunswick. I think Canada is a lot like the U.S. such beautiful things to see and a variety of options.

But back to Vancouver, which is my favorite place in Canada on this side.
I am going to attend the winter Olympics in February. There are indoor events, speed skating and ice hockey in Vancouver. Then up to Whistler for the outdoor events, ski jumping, individual downhill skiing, and 2 man bobsled. Tickets were expensive and in short supply to non-Canadians, but...well worth it to attend!!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:38 pm

I haven't been around Ontario that much, but I do love Ottawa. I guess I'm just saying that because I've lived in the province all my life. :lol:
Oh yeah, the 2010 Winter Olympics! I'm excited to watch that.
ImageImage

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:42 pm

Haha, Maze, I just entered the Kiwi Adventure contest. Thank you for the link. I'm really hoping that I'll win now. :pray: :P
ImageImage

eejm

Postby eejm » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:15 am

I was in Vancouver once, in 1993. The weather was absolutely gorgeous - about 90 degrees, but with no humidity. It was clean, the people were ultra-friendly, and the views were beautiful. I went to Victoria too, and up through the inside passage to Alaska. I loved that trip.

I don't think I've been to a city in Canada that I haven't liked. I even loved Winnipeg, although I wouldn't want to go there in the winter.

Return to “Off topic rambles”