WTFIUO Logo Contest!!!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: WTFIUO Logo Contest!!!

Postby deliriumtree » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Darn! I was heading off in this sort of direction...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elfinia23/3834335707/

Pencil sketches would probably unuseable... I don't do computer art. But, if I used pen or ink and brush...? Sorry, I'm oddly comforted by being told what to do lol.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 am

Ack! Sorry, nonch! I must've gapped on commenting last night but I studied them for a while and I like #2 best- colors seem perfect. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:47 am

I like all of these so far.

Nonch- I love your mermaids! The ukulele in tree is awesome too!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:20 am

d-tree. Your art is amazing. I would wear that t-shirt. I'm not sure if a drawing would work for printing the shirts or not, but I sure hope you try a logo. I can't imagine how long that takes though so I'm sure I don't know what I'm asking.

I'm going to want one of each I'm afraid... :rolleyes:

You guys really won't wear the t-shirts?!?!?!? I work out everyday so I wear a lot of t-shirts. Maybe we should do a canvas bag or something. :hrm: Or a hoodie? That's what the underground had, right?

Biscuit and LauraK, you are killing me with the business time conversation. :roll2:
Image..Image..Image

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:08 am

Thank you Nonch! I want to try one but it be really handy to know what sort of mediums would work and what would not... Acrylic? Pastels? Watercolor? Ink or Pen? I'm a bit lost right now, not being the digital art type.

I would wear a shirt! I also love hoodies!

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 am

This may just confuse you, but this is how it works at our printers.

If the drawing is a one color creation, I think it could be scanned and made into an image for the printer without too much trouble. You can even use greys and it is still considered one color. (They just use tiny black dots at various distances from each other) So it appears to have 3 colors, the color of the shirt, (absence of black) greys (or various shades of the shirt color) and black. Does that make any sense at all? Now if you wanted to get fancy, you could use thin paper to create another color image to lay over the other. Then a screen could be made from that for the other color. Like say a red ukulele. :D You would have to have a guide to line up the images. Otherwise I don't know how they could separate the colors for the screens. I'm sure someone knows more about this than me, and you should confirm my info with Sherry before you do too much work. I'm sure printers vary in their requirements.

I've only ever had shirts made using computer generated images which make it easy for the printer to separate the colors for the screens. I just email the image in whatever format they require. (we run youth hockey leagues)

I hope we get shirts too, or hoodies! I want to brag about us (and I do) to everyone. I should try to be more subtle I know. I'll try making a less "in your face" creation this weekend. :lol:

You gonna get a uke D-tree? :pray: Feeling better?
Image..Image..Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:49 am

Great drawing d-tree :) And nonch, I had commented I think :)

OK, I can clarify all these questions.

My saying 'simple' means you can use a picture and words. Or both ;) Logo's generally are more simple and not overly busy with detail. Short and snappy is what you aim for with a logo. That's because they are designed to stay in peoples mind and become recognised. Anything too detailed/busy and big is a picture and isn't really a logo :lol: As lovely as they are :)

If you do a hand drawn design or a picture it can be as detailed as you like but will only be able to be digitally printed on a white basic tee shape. These tend not to wear as well with washing and wear. It can't be put onto other colours or fitted tees etc.

By keeping things more simple you can increase your print options then. Look at the WTF! logo on tees. We had to thicken out a couple of lines to fit the minimum width they had to be for flock printing but it was fine. Just a few minor tweaks was all it needed.

I can have a logo put onto bags, badges, mugs, mousepads, stickers and more. And every shape and style of tee, baseball caps and other things. It just needs to fit certain perameters for printing.

Anyone with queries on the measurements can PM biscuit and ask for more info I think.

And yes, I'd always suggest simple for a logo. Clean and not overly busy. Eye catching even when printed on something small. That sort of thing.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:56 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:This may just confuse you, but this is how it works at our printers.

If the drawing is a one color creation, I think it could be scanned and made into an image for the printer without too much trouble.

Yes it can be scanned easily and is the best and cleanest option for printing a design. Wording isn't as much of a problem as that can be added in later. Our WTF! tees are all one colour on the image logo as it was awkward and more expensive to have more colours. So we kept it simple.

nonchalant obsession wrote:Now if you wanted to get fancy, you could use thin paper to create another color image to lay over the other. Then a screen could be made from that for the other color. Like say a red ukulele. :D You would have to have a guide to line up the images. Otherwise I don't know how they could separate the colors for the screens. I'm sure someone knows more about this than me, and you should confirm my info with Sherry before you do too much work. I'm sure printers vary in their requirements.

I'm not sure entirely but my printers says 3 colours so I am guessing it can be done as you've said. I've sent all the info on printing to biscuit so she can let you know more (am so busy the next few weeks its not funny).

nonchalant obsession wrote:I've only ever had shirts made using computer generated images which make it easy for the printer to separate the colors for the screens.

Computer generated ones are generally the easiest option. Plus they can be tweaked more easily. The WTF! logo was done in some paint program iirc

nonchalant obsession wrote:I hope we get shirts too, or hoodies! I want to brag about us (and I do) to everyone. I should try to be more subtle I know. I'll try making a less "in your face" creation this weekend. :lol:

I can have a logo put on to shirts, hoodies and loads more. Loads of options.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks Sherry. That gives me a better vision for the overall look we should shoot for. I'll check with biscuit for the rest of the details. Good luck with your move. How exciting! Dream house? Iirc, the one you were in was in such a beautiful location.

Mousepads! :lol: We simply must have mousepads. How about lunchboxes... :rolls:
Image..Image..Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:53 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:Thanks Sherry. That gives me a better vision for the overall look we should shoot for. I'll check with biscuit for the rest of the details. Good luck with your move. How exciting! Dream house? Iirc, the one you were in was in such a beautiful location.

Not my dream house. Am pretty much in that already. Apart from it being too small for us now. The one we are moving to is a boring 40 year old 4 bedroom place so we have more room, are closer to hubbys work and stuff. Its practical, I don't love it, I like it. Which is fine for a few years now. Compromises had to be made, so this was my decision to move from here. Hubby loves it also but is happy to move for his work. Loves his job so I can't complain. The new town we are moving to has everything we need and is a nice clean place.

Anyways, back to topic. Look forward to seeing your next efforts :) My things about a logo were suggestions. Its not that people *have* to comply. Hand drawn and so on are still options, just there are not so many things you can do with them.

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Thank you Sherry! :D

I feel like a crapscicle today, but thanks for asking nonch! I am thinking about getting a Uke, biscuit is quite the Ukulele temptress showing me a pretty purple one and all.

I have a better idea of what to do now, thanks to both of you!

helgecko

Postby helgecko » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:41 am

This is really exciting guys! :D
Beautiful logos so far, it's going to be really hard for you guys to choose :clap:
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Awww sorry you're still feeling poorly d-tree. Order a uke, you'll feel better immediately. :D

Helgecko? Have you got your ukulele? You simply have to take it with you to NZ. With your badge making skills, I know you could enter a sweet logo... :pray: pretty please with sugar on top? :eyelashes:

Sherry, Well at least the new house is larger and you can turn it from boring to fabulous, right? Do you still have room for gardens and such? To me the best part of moving is the purging of accumulated stuff that I don't need. But I digress....

More logos everyone!!!! :cheer:
Image..Image..Image

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:53 pm

My idea was a Ukulele at the centre - mermaid draped over it.

Maybe some lampshades in the background :D

The uke could have something associated with each WTFIUO member on it - eg a biscuit....that's easy enough to represent, some less so.

I guess the flaw with this is that any new members we get may have hurt feelings if they're not represented :hrm:
It's a psychological analogy

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Oh I love your idea, Zebra. You have to do it. So is biscuit a flakey round roll, or a doggie treat? :lol: Mine would be tough, huh. sorry. But if it were subtle, it might be fun for the original crew to be worked in somehow. Hmmmmmm. :hrm:
Image..Image..Image

Return to “Off topic rambles”