Learning Languages

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Re: Learning Languages

Postby biscuit » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 am

seasick_sarah wrote:Aye, I "ken" the word "ken". :shock:

Also, the Icelandic word for child is "barn"...very similar to Scottish "bairn".

We call kids 'barn' here as well:) But then Norwegian and Icelandic used to be the same language sort of :lol:

We also use 'ken' as in I ken him :nod:

Sometimes I watch films with foreign subtitles even if the DVD isn't broken :worry:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Kijk! Iemand spreekt Nederlands!

Part of the reason why I haven't been around much recently is that I'm really trying to tuck in and finally get a hang of this language. I'm getting better and can occasionally get the gist of conversations I hear around me or hear on tv, but I've got a long way to go still.

On the other hand, I can still understand whole Italian conversations, even if I find myself incapable of now responding to even the most simple things. Inevitably I end up thinking of responses in Dutch. We ran into a couple of tourists last week. The husband is from Italy and the wife is originally from Russia, but they both live in Italy. I had no trouble following their Italian -- my boyfriend is Italian and I had studied it some long before I met him -- but I couldn't think of anything in Italian when I tried to say anything. Sad, because I used to be more fluent. I think I'm too focused on trying to learn Dutch now. Of course, when I try to say anything in Dutch, I can only remember how to say it in Italian and sometimes French, which I studied in high school and college. So basically, I'm a mess. :roll:

Nu, tijd voor een Nederlands les.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

silentflighty
Giving the paper to the people

Postby silentflighty » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:59 pm

I love languages! My first language is German and I'll be more than happy to teach people or help out with useful phrases.
I've lived in Finland for a while so I'm also quite fluent in Finnish. Now trying to learn Swedish (Finland's second language), which is actually not so hard being another Germanic language.

Ozpot wrote: Flug aus die Conchords
This should be Flug der Conchorde :wink:

Conchordien lento in Finnish. I wonder if Taika (as in Waititi) means anything in Maori. 'Taika' in Finnish is the word for magic. Quite fitting methinks.

munchkin
Half a shapely halibut

Postby munchkin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:32 pm

My grandaughter is being brought up in Macedonia. My daughter always speaks to her in english, but her father and everyone else (in their huge extended family!) speaks to her in Macedonian. I love that she is able to speak and understand both english and macedonian. It'll be such an advantage to have been brought up bi-lingual. I'd imagine it'd make picking up other languages easier.
Anyone know?

BTW she's only 2. It's so funny as she answers questions in a mix of english/macedonian. She always uses whichever word is easier to say (she's clearly inherited her mum's lazyness!). He dad speaks quite a few languages, so I'm assuming she's inherited his language gene-if there is such a thing!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:20 pm

munchkin wrote:The only problem I have found is that all Dutch people speak english
I found this to be the case with the exception of when I needed to find my way to my ride back to the UK (& hilarity & chaos ensued.)
90% evil
ImageImage

canattack
Half a shapely halibut

Postby canattack » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:36 pm

silentflighty wrote:Conchordien lento in Finnish. I wonder if Taika (as in Waititi) means anything in Maori. 'Taika' in Finnish is the word for magic. Quite fitting methinks.

Ooh fits him perfectly!!
Flighty est. 2007

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:56 am

munchkin wrote:My grandaughter is being brought up in Macedonia. My daughter always speaks to her in english, but her father and everyone else (in their huge extended family!) speaks to her in Macedonian. I love that she is able to speak and understand both english and macedonian. It'll be such an advantage to have been brought up bi-lingual. I'd imagine it'd make picking up other languages easier.
Anyone know?

BTW she's only 2. It's so funny as she answers questions in a mix of english/macedonian. She always uses whichever word is easier to say (she's clearly inherited her mum's lazyness!). He dad speaks quite a few languages, so I'm assuming she's inherited his language gene-if there is such a thing!

I have a very good friend who worked in the Peace Corps teaching English in Macedonia. However, it was an Albanian town so he had to learn both Macedonian and Albanian (Of course all I can think of now is the badly burned Albanian boy hahahahahaha)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:40 pm

I thought I read somewhere that Taika means tiger in Maori & Taika has a tiger theme on his MySpace so I assume that's correct.
90% evil
ImageImage

munchkin
Half a shapely halibut

Postby munchkin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Emafer wrote:

I have a very good friend who worked in the Peace Corps teaching English in Macedonia. However, it was an Albanian town so he had to learn both Macedonian and Albanian (Of course all I can think of now is the badly burned Albanian boy hahahahahaha)

What a coincidence! My daughter was a bit isolated untill she stumbled upon the peace corp people! Now she has some amazing US friends.
And it's more people to speak English to her daughter!

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:35 pm

OZ!!!

Something for your German studies?! :D

German trailer for Eagle vs. Shark
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Ozpot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Biscuit!!! :yay: That was awesome!
I only understood a few common phrases, and memorized quotes from the English movie. It was still very interesting to watch. It makes the tone of the film a lot different. :lol:

This deserves a whitey emoticon!!

:whitey:
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:35 pm

munchkin wrote:
Emafer wrote:

What a coincidence! My daughter was a bit isolated untill she stumbled upon the peace corp people! Now she has some amazing US friends.
And it's more people to speak English to her daughter!

Oh that's funny. The Peace Corps must be all over Macedonia.

Cleren
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Cleren » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:41 pm

I did Spanish O level at evening class some... no, many... years ago, but can't remember much now. Use it or lose it, that's the rule with languages.

I used to speak French fairly fluently, after a year of living in the Languedoc and another of sharing a flat with a French assistante from Provence. Since then I haven't had much practice - occasional holidays and that's about it. 18 months ago I did a French course at the local university, just to try and brush up my skills, and did manage to pass my DELF B2. DELF is a French government qualification, diplôme d'études en langue française, which has several levels, including B2.

I am, however, bilingual in English and Welsh. Maybe I should get a t shirt with Hedfa'r Concordiaid on it.

I would say I'm pretty good with languages, but I'm completely useless with numbers. I'm sure I have dyscalculia.

Return to “Off topic rambles”