Learning Languages

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Re: Learning Languages

Postby Ozpot » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:42 pm

I like the name Lorelei. If I were born German, I would declare that my name. :P
Although I do favor Austria, even though it's not in Germany, but they speak German there.
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:48 pm

SuzyBatt wrote:
SheWolf wrote:IMHO learning language in school doesn't amount to a hill of beans. I never took French but suspect I learned more of it by spending a week in Quebec and being forced to speak it than I ever would have done in class.

SheWolf, la prochaine fois que tu viens au Québec tu devras venir me visiter, surtout si tu viens à Montréal! :wink:
I should have pointed out that the French I quickly accomplished was related almost exclusively to ordering breakfast at Dunkin Donuts. :roll2:
90% evil
ImageImage

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:55 pm

SheWolf wrote:
SuzyBatt wrote:
SheWolf wrote:IMHO learning language in school doesn't amount to a hill of beans. I never took French but suspect I learned more of it by spending a week in Quebec and being forced to speak it than I ever would have done in class.

SheWolf, la prochaine fois que tu viens au Québec tu devras venir me visiter, surtout si tu viens à Montréal! :wink:
I should have pointed out that the French I quickly accomplished was related almost exclusively to ordering breakfast at Dunkin Donuts. :roll2:

:rolls:
Ah oui, café et beigne au chocolat? Lait ou crème dans le café? Half et half??

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Ohh, that's like how everything in Canada is written in both English and French. Like you'll buy a box of cookies and it will say "le biscuits" or something. :P
ImageImage

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Bueno, Oz..si quieres aprender castellano podemos empezar cuando tu quieras.. Oz y quien quiera apuntarse

i si voleu aprendre català..n'estare encantada i em fareu molt feliç :D

3 bonus points to whomever deciphers those sentences :yawinkle:

hint: they're not in the same language :wink:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

SuzyBatt

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:15 pm

I know what it says, but I can't quite translate it! :oops: A few gaps, especially in that last bit.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Amanda wrote:Bueno, Oz..si quieres aprender castellano podemos empezar cuando tu quieras.. Oz y quien quiera apuntarse

Good, Oz..If you want to learn Spanish we are able to begin when you want. Oz and whoever wants to sign up.

Something like that? I admit, I had to look apuntarse up. I don't know about the last sentence because I am unfamiliar with Catalan (if that's the language it's written in).
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Amanda wrote:Bueno, Oz..si quieres aprender castellano podemos empezar cuando tu quieras.. Oz y quien quiera apuntarse

Si, Amanda! :jc:
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:36 pm

SuzyBatt wrote:Ah oui, café et beigne au chocolat? Lait ou crème dans le café? Half et half??
le petite ju d'orange et croissant avec jambon et frommage (mind you I don't know how to write french so forgive me) One day the beignet du jour appeared to be boston cream but it wasn't marked and not being one to turn down boston cream I had to enquire about it so I figured it would be something like creme d'boston but wouldn't you know that day they had an English speaking worker who looked at me like I was a dope and said, in unaccented English "It's Boston Cream!" :roll: When we went through customs the only word I could read of the sign above the desk was derriere and there was a picture of a person standing behind a line. I said to my friend that they were telling us to keep our derrieres behind the line. She laughed until she couldn't breathe. When she regained her composure I learned that derriere actually means behind. :oops: (I knew it meant behind as in butt but not behind like I'm standing behind you )
Last edited by SheWolf on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

SuzyBatt

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:39 pm

SheWolf wrote:
SuzyBatt wrote:Ah oui, café et beigne au chocolat? Lait ou crème dans le café? Half et half??
le petite ju d'orange et croissant avec jambon et frommage (mind you I don't know how to write french so forgive me) One day the beignet du jour appeared to be boston cream but it wasn't marked and not being one to turn down boston cream I had to enquire about it so I figured it would be something like creme d'boston but wouldn't you know that day they had an English speaking worker who looked at me like I was a dope and said, in unaccented English "It's Boston Cream!" :roll: When we went through customs the only word I could read of the sign above the desk was derriere and there was a picture of a person standing behind a line. I said to my friend that they were telling us to keep our derrieres behind the line. She laughed until she couldn't breathe. When she regained her composure I learned that derriere actually means behind. :oops:

Thanks SheWolf, that's made my day!
:roll2: :rolls: :clap:

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:53 pm

vmh wrote:

Good, Oz..If you want to learn Spanish we are able to begin when you want. Oz and whoever wants to sign up.

Something like that? I admit, I had to look apuntarse up. I don't know about the last sentence because I am unfamiliar with Catalan (if that's the language it's written in).

2 Bonus points for VMH!! :clap: :lol:

actually it is:
Well, Oz.. if you wanna learn Spanish we can begin when you want. Oz and whomever wants to join us.

and the tricky/Catalan (very good!) part says:
..and if you wanna learn Catalan, I'll be delighted and you'll make me very happy :lol:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

canattack
Half a shapely halibut

Postby canattack » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:41 pm

I been learning French for 6 years.. and I still can't put a sentence together.

Ach tá an-tádh orm mar tá mé labhair Gaelige an-mhaith.
But I am in luck because I can speak Irish very well.

Tá Bret go háilinn, sín fíor :wink:

Edit: Well I lie about French. I can carry a conversation as long they speak slowly to me. I read it pretty well though
Flighty est. 2007

Ozpot

Postby Ozpot » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:48 pm

I only took French in elementary school, but my teacher was a big goofball and we barely learned anything. It sure was fun, though. :lol:
I got preempted from French in high school. After that I never really bothered learning. :hrm:
ImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:02 pm

ooh, a language thread. Me likey! :D

Er det nå jeg skal skryte av at jeg snakker, eller iallefall forstår, seks forskjellige språk?

I did English for 9 years in school, and then another couple of years at uni:)

I did French for 2 years at middle school, but only remember the foux du fa fa-stuff. I'll be able to order food and ask people to shut the window. I can also ask for directions, but I would probably not understand the answer :lol:

I did German for 3 years in high school. I don't speak it very well, but I understand most of it when written, or spoken slowly:)

I tried to teach myself Italian. I recognize some words, and I can count and name the colours, but not much else. I would love to learn it properly, as it is part of my heritage.

In addition to this I know both Swedish and Danish fairly well :nod:

I love languages, but suck at grammar. Luckily I have an ear for language, which gets me some way without having to learn all the boring stuff :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

SuzyBatt

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Mon petit biscuit, comment vas-tu??

Do tell us about your travels, but not here of course (in the Off-topic thread - c'mon, we want to hear about the flying. Well, I do...).

Return to “Off topic rambles”