What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby biscuit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:21 pm

We veered a bit off topic in the FOTC, UK thread and ended up discussing Easy Bake Ovens (which I didn't really know what was, being a Norwegian). I didn't like playing house when I was a kid, and I'm not a big fan of house work still :lol: This got me wondering about the similarities and differences between kid biscuit and grown up biscuit.

For the sake of my nerdy entertainment, would you answer these two questions? :eyelashes:

What was your favourite toy, or game, growing up?

How does it relate to you and your life now?
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

closet jemainiac

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:29 pm

I dont think I had a favorite..I liked playing barbies with my sister, but also played star wars and transformers with my brother..... and then jumping rope and hide and seek with the neighbor kids....

we all played card games and video games...not cool atari but the ODYSSEY...I wish I knew what happened to that thing...probably at my mom's house

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... N%26um%3D1

Im still ADD :D I like making jewelry, playing guitar, knitting, watching movies....want to star the uke and Im in the middle of a career change.....still the same husband though! :lol:
Last edited by closet jemainiac on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:30 pm

As I recall I never played much with toys. I had toys but most of the games I played were very much in my head. I have two brothers who are a bit younger than me, and together we would create these great universes and alter egos. A lot of our games were about travelling. We had a bunk bed that would be a submarine one day and a space shuttle the next:) Sometimes we'd play the same game for days, incorporating sleeping into the game :lol:

As an adult I still entertain myself using my imagination. I imagine wild and wonderful scenarios that make me smile, and I'm also a fairly restless person who likes to be constantly moving. I love travelling, not to reach a destination, but to be on my way somewhere:)

Looking back not much has changed apart from that I have the freedom now to make some of my fantasies come true, but also the responsibilities of adult life that limits the extent to which I can follow my dreams.
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:35 pm

yes...Im very much in my own head(both as a kid and as an adult)...probably cause Im too shy with people I suppose..

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:37 am

My Little Pony; I had the traveling stable and loved arranging everyone in their own little stall. I was and still am a total horse geek!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:40 am

We had a fantastic board game called Labyrinth. That was definitely a fave. I liked reading a lot. And I LOVED playing dress-up. I had a whole huge giant basket full of dress up clothes. I also loved doing hair and nails. And I loved cooking. I still pretty much love to do all of those things. But I don't walk around the house in an old bridesmaids dress as often :D

seasick_sarah

Postby seasick_sarah » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:10 am

Emafer wrote:We had a fantastic board game called Labyrinth.

It's 1986 David Bowie....

I'll stop.

Like biscuit, my favourite games were the ones I made up in my own head. I had lots of imaginary friends, compensating, I suppose, for the fact that my brothers are 10 and 12 years older than me, respectively, and we lived in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't have any friends my age until I started school when I was five. Now I still live largely in my own little world and I have social phobia. :roll:

I was also constantly making things, drawing, moulding things out of plasticine, playing with building blocks. I could read and write by the age of four and I made a whole series of books that I called "Nice Books", which basically plagiarised Golden Books. (I only remember one title from the series, called "Where is the Cat?" :lol: ). Nowadays I do a lot of scrapbooking, knitting, beading and card-making, and I've been told I'm good at creative writing, but I hate having to show it to other people for scrutiny once I'm finished!

I mainly played with my brothers' hand-me-downs, so I don't think I ever played house when I was little but I absolutely love doing housework now (just not ironing and vacuuming). :lol:

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:35 am

When I was a young teen we had this girl game called Mystery Date, you'd open a door and get a dreamboat, a dud, a preppie or a geek. Ah, the 60's.

This is the actual commercial, I remember it all too well. Watch it and laugh with me not at me, ok?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsQpTbQ9Uo

oh and an honorable mention for click clacks we always knocked ourselves in the head with them and had huge silly bumps on our heads. Explains a lot. Mine were purple with silver & glitter & sometimes you could get ones that glow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHftISLNHE

Lastly the childhood scar this topic brings. :D The toy I remember most wanting, only my sister got it and wouldnt let me touch it. I know its a big ugly orange dog but Ray Rayner was the most loved kids tv host & Cuddly was his buddy.

Sorry didnt mean to overshare. All of a sudden this Cuddly Duddley thing hit me again. Lets see im how old?
Last edited by 4everconchordsfan on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

seasick_sarah

Postby seasick_sarah » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:49 am

^ Teehee, Mystery Date. I'd only ever seen it on that episode of The Simpsons, where the "dud" looks just like Milhouse, but I assumed it was a real game.

The Clackers look frightening...I can imagine winding up with bumps all over my head if I tried them. :shock:

I wish kids still played games like those, though...I babysat my neighbours' grandkids once and EVERY toy in their house was some stupid "teach your kid to read" Fisher Price toy with an awful, overly-happy electronic voice shouting at them...and you know what? The youngest girl was well into her first year of school and couldn't read at all! :shock: :x :roll:

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:58 am

Yeah, those clackers were pretty dangerous when you got them going real fast near your face & then all your friends were doing it at the same time trying to outdo ya so they always went flying into somebody's head or eye.

We also used to play with those little plastic green toy soldiers a lot, must have been a direct reaction to the mystery date. :lol:

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 am

to this day, i still sing the jingle to 'mystery date'.... ;)

totally enjoyed the creepy crawlies thing where you had the metal molds and you'd pour the gooey liquid in the molds and 'bake' them, then put them in cold water to sizzle cold and carefully peel out your spiders, roaches, and assorted worms and bugs...i think this desensitized me from being afraid of most bugs....most, not all.

op-yops! anyone? the pull apart-together yo yo type thing? anyone?

spirographs - would literally wear down the teeth on the wheels from playing with that too much...this led to my incessant doodling whenever i'm talking on the phone or bored...

just a couple of mentions...there are so many more ;)
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 am

ardy wrote:to this day, i still sing the jingle to 'mystery date'.... ;)

totally enjoyed the creepy crawlies thing where you had the metal molds and you'd pour the gooey liquid in the molds and 'bake' them, then put them in cold water to sizzle cold and carefully peel out your spiders, roaches, and assorted worms and bugs...i think this desensitized me from being afraid of most bugs....most, not all.

op-yops! anyone? the pull apart-together yo yo type thing? anyone?

spirographs - would literally wear down the teeth on the wheels from playing with that too much...this led to my incessant doodling whenever i'm talking on the phone or bored...

just a couple of mentions...there are so many more ;)

Ardy, we must be close to the same age, I remember all of the toys you've mentioned & I loved those rubbery bugs. We all played operation, we played with play doh, and silly putty and slinkys & everyone had a hula hoop, pick up sticks and we played hopscotch, tic-tac-toe and double dutch jump rope.
Last edited by 4everconchordsfan on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:16 am

We were also HUGE fans of truth or dare. We hadn't gotten to the point where the "truth" part was terribly interesting but we LOVED making up ridiculous dares. Like jumping into the swimming pool with our clothes on or ringing a neighbor's doorbell and doing something stupid. Or eating hot sauce straight from the bottle.

When I was in college, we consequently found the "dare" part let interesting and we invented a game called "truth or truth" hahahaha The BEST part was that we would ask the question:
Me: Truth, or truth?
Roomie: Um..... this one's hard, um.... truth.

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:20 am

Emafer wrote:We were also HUGE fans of truth or dare. We hadn't gotten to the point where the "truth" part was terribly interesting but we LOVED making up ridiculous dares. Like jumping into the swimming pool with our clothes on or ringing a neighbor's doorbell and doing something stupid. Or eating hot sauce straight from the bottle.

When I was in college, we consequently found the "dare" part let interesting and we invented a game called "truth or truth" hahahaha The BEST part was that we would ask the question:
Me: Truth, or truth?
Roomie: Um..... this one's hard, um.... truth.

Betcha there are some good stories there.... :whistle:

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:44 am

Oh my gosh, we invented a whole series of what we called "roommate games" and only my roomie and I knew about them and were allowed to play unless we had a "sleepover" in our dorm room and then we would teach our sleepover friends about roommates games and they would be all "in on it". We even had a couple of friends who would play with their roommates in their own dorm rooms. Another roommate game was "Either Or" and consisted of making lists of people you would or would not have a two way with. The best round were when you made the options INCREDIBLY difficult to choose either by coming up with two people who were as equally disgusting OR equally hot like a curry.

Return to “Off topic rambles”