What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby vmh » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:35 am

ardy wrote:spirographs - would literally wear down the teeth on the wheels from playing with that too much...this led to my incessant doodling whenever i'm talking on the phone or bored...

Now I'm getting all nostalgic! I miss the OLD spirograph! I bought two of the newer versions: a Hasbro edition at Target and another at Barnes & Noble. Both of these don't even compare to the one I had as a child! :(
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:13 pm

vmh wrote:Both of these don't even compare to the one I had as a child!

I find myself saying that a lot as I get hold of toys I had as a child. Are they really so different or is it our perspective now?

Does anyone remember Space Food Sticks? My Mom bought them for us to have as a special breakfast treat on Saturday mornings while we wacthed cartoons and I loved them...can still remember the texture and taste. Well, I found them online and ordered them a few years ago and they were yuk! Not at all like I remember. :( I think they're making them differently but maybe it's the perspective again....

I grew up in an apt complex so all of our friends were right there. We played a lot of group stuff but a fave was S.W.A.T. We'd split into 2 teams and one would be the bad guys and the other the swat team. As bad guys, we'd hide and the swat team would come hunting, with guns and cuffs. If we were caught, we might end up handcuffed to a clothesline of stuffed into a washing machine box (that was the swat truck, lol). Lots of fun pretending growing up. We'd also make big haunted houses in each others' basements. In winter, the manager would sometimes get the hose out and spray down an area of the parking lot so it'd freeze and we'd have our own little skating area. Oh, and we went to the roller rink a LOT. 8)

We played canasta and Monopoly and Gnip Gnop and Trouble...put together models...listened to music...rode bikes...played in sprinklers...found baby birds we'd keep in a shoe box and try to nurse with wet, mushy bread. But they always died. Sleepovers where the goal was to stay up all night long. (We rarely, if ever, made it!)

The boys had their GI Joe's and they'd bury them in the sand and blow them free with firecrackers, lol.

I had a Jane West doll and horse. Man, I loved her. I never had a Barbie. Jane West could kick Barbie's a$$. She was blue and came with rubbery clothes- vests, skirts, hats, boots and guns. Oh, and a knife. I actually got her again a few years ago on eBay and Jacob has occasionally played with her.

My dolls never played dress-up or got married. They got kidnapped and tied up. Then I'd rescue them, lol.

Childhood was fun.....the good outweighed what bad there was.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Ooh its really interesting reading about all the childhood gadgets, toys and games you guys played :D

I had such a happy childhood so I love remembering all the good times I had. I literally had hundreds upon hundreds of barbie dolls, I'm serious! I can't believe my lovely parents paid for all of those barbie dolls :lol:. I had a very active imagination so I would keep myself occupied dreaming about various scenarios with the dolls.

So I was quite girly in that respect but then I was also a keen video gamer. I had a Super Nintendo and Sega games consoles and loved the games I had such as Super Mario, Street Fighter etc. My cousins who used to live down the same road as me had every game console under the sun so I would hang out round their house and play loads of video games with them. I later got a PlayStation with my younger brother and now he's continuing the tradition with the various consoles he now has. I was also known as the girl who had the most Pokemon cards and used to rival the boys :lol:

I loved playing with skipping ropes and hula hoops particularly during lunchtimes at school. I also played lots of clapping games too and I was very quick with my hands. I remember so many weird and wonderful songs we sang during those clapping games e.g. "My boyfriend gave me an apple, my boyfriend gave me a pear, pear, pear. My boyfriend gave me a kiss on the lips and threw me down the stairs, stairs, stairs. I gave him back his apple, I gave him back his pear, pear, pear. I gave him back his kiss on the lips and threw him down the stairs, stairs, stairs. I went inside a sweet shop to buy some bubble gum, gum, gum and when he wasn't looking, I stuck it up his bum, bum, bum". Classy stuff! :rolls:

Right now, I don't really have any interest in any of these things but I guess I still have an active imagination ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:54 pm

That clapping game was hilarious :lol:

We had loads of those as well, and they all had very weird and random lyrics. Nothing as classy as gum up your bum though :lol:

I also played quite a lot with LEGO :nod: I still do that:)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Panda..ness » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:54 pm

Venus wrote: "My boyfriend gave me an apple, my boyfriend gave me a pear, pear, pear. My boyfriend gave me a kiss on the lips and threw me down the stairs, stairs, stairs. I gave him back his apple, I gave him back his pear, pear, pear. I gave him back his kiss on the lips and threw him down the stairs, stairs, stairs. I went inside a sweet shop to buy some bubble gum, gum, gum and when he wasn't looking, I stuck it up his bum, bum, bum". Classy stuff! :rolls:

im sure i used to clap to that when i was little too :D

Why did i get double stuffed?

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Dang it y'all got me thinking what wussies kiddos are today... heck I thought it was bad when I was little. Lawn darts were a bit before my time but you could still find them at garage sales. Man before everyone lost their minds about safety it must have been freakin' suhweet 8)

My favorite toys were not really toys... I got to operate heavy equipment when I was a little gal and that has to be my favorite out of all the stuff I got to mess with. (Parent in construction... favorite had to be a motor grader) My back-ups were Tonkas; but the real things were better.

Yeah I was a weird little girl, I detest barbies to this day... whereas my sister was totally into them.
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:07 pm

Venus wrote:Ooh its really interesting reading about all the childhood gadgets, toys and games you guys played :D

I loved playing with skipping ropes and hula hoops particularly during lunchtimes at school. I also played lots of clapping games too and I was very quick with my hands. I remember so many weird and wonderful songs we sang during those clapping games e.g. "My boyfriend gave me an apple, my boyfriend gave me a pear, pear, pear. My boyfriend gave me a kiss on the lips and threw me down the stairs, stairs, stairs. I gave him back his apple, I gave him back his pear, pear, pear. I gave him back his kiss on the lips and threw him down the stairs, stairs, stairs. I went inside a sweet shop to buy some bubble gum, gum, gum and when he wasn't looking, I stuck it up his bum, bum, bum". Classy stuff! :rolls:

Right now, I don't really have any interest in any of these things but I guess I still have an active imagination ;)

oh my, clapping games I do remember those we had so much fun. Miss Mary Mac mac mac, all dressed in black black black with silver buttons buttons buttons all down her back back back, she jumped so high high high she reached the sky sky sky and didnt come back back back till the 4th of july july july...ah Venus good memories of sitting with friends and going faster and faster and doing the clapping game in groups. That was fun. We were so easily entertained back 'in the day'.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Yay I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed those clapping games ;)

4everconchordsfan wrote:oh my, clapping games I do remember those we had so much fun. Miss Mary Mac mac mac, all dressed in black black black with silver buttons buttons buttons all down her back back back, she jumped so high high high she reached the sky sky sky and didnt come back back back till the 4th of july july july...ah Venus good memories of sitting with friends and going faster and faster and doing the clapping game in groups. That was fun. We were so easily entertained back 'in the day'.

That 'Miss Mary Mac' song sounds quite familiar so I must have clapped to that song as well! Yep I totally know what you mean about getting faster and faster, clapping with one other person or in a group :D

biscuit wrote:That clapping game was hilarious :lol:

We had loads of those as well, and they all had very weird and random lyrics. Nothing as classy as gum up your bum though :lol:

I also played quite a lot with LEGO :nod: I still do that:)

Ah yes Lego was good! I didn't really have the patience to make anything really spectacular though :lol:. There's a Legoland in Windsor (a mini amusement park with various lego-made sculptures) which is a great place to go to as a child. I'm a proud owner of a Legoland driving licence ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:54 pm

You know I did all those clapping games too, but for the life of me cant remember any of them...The Mary Mac one did sound familiar, 4ever.

You know I said "Barbies" in my first post, but they werent actually Barbie...they were all generic kinds of barbie like dolls...they had no dark haired barbies(that's what I was told anyway), so mom got me a doll similar in size to barbie but she had a bigger head (thinking about it now, it was quite silly looking)...but at least she had dark hair! and I had these very tiny dolls that were probably pre barbie.

My big headed non barbie DID have Ken as her bf though...the dark haired one of course! lol

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:58 pm

I had a couple of Sindy dolls when I was younger. I cut their hair and gave them a punk make-over, complete with piercings 8)

Our closest Legoland is in Denmark. I never got to go when I was a kid though. We took our kids there 2 years ago:) It was kind of cool actually. Not the rides as much as the cities and scenery built completely out of standard size Lego bricks :D
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Remember these?:

James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:01 pm

I loved tinker toys!

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:10 pm

I loved Light Bright! The only drawback was that the little bulbs always got sucked up in the vacuum cleaner.

Same with Barbie shoes. I loved Barbie, but like you Laura, my Barbies always got kidnapped and tied up and weird stuff like that. Oh, and I'd cross-dress Ken in Barbie clothes, pretending he was an undercover detective.

Surprisingly enough, I had a very normal childhood and grew up to be a productive member of society.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Most of my games were made up in my head (and those of my freaky friends). :D I also had My Little Pony and Rainbow Brite.

However, my Dad had a crane and a lorry that my sister enjoyed.

Not sure how any of this relates to my life now - I still love horses (most animals, in fact), and have a good 'imaginary life' though.
(Spirographs and Etch a Sketch also good)
It's a psychological analogy

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Oh the clapping games!!!! Yes, yes yes. We did that ENDLESSLY. In the car, waiting in line. A LOT at recess at school. And it was so funny becuase a few years ago when my cousin got married she was so nervous so to keep her occupied and her mind off her nerves I played that with her before she waled don the aisle. It worked :D

Return to “Off topic rambles”