What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby deliriumtree » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:50 pm

I really loved my little ponies. I had all the fanciful ones like Unicorns and Pegasus. I would go outside and fill this little ditch in the yard with water and the my little ponies had to defend their side of the yard from "Non-believers". (Too much religious private school gets in your head as a kid. lol)

I also really, really loved mud. It was so upsetting to my grandmother who always bought these ridiculously frilly dresses for me (the kind with 8 layers of ruffles that would poof out). There was so many places in the back yard you could make a good sized mud puddle. I loved how cool it felt and I would smear myself with it head to toe, maybe even lay in it on a hot day. Loved the feel of it squishing between my toes. Then I'd start sticking leaves to myself, then maybe climb up into the tree and howl. She hated all of that. I guess no one wants some sort of howling raised by wolves looking primitive kid running around, but still. I also really loved to build things out of sticks.

I played pretend a lot. For the longest time I pretended to be a dog, maybe til 2nd grade. I could scratch behind my ear with my foot (very flexible) and would pant and bark, even with a house full of company. (I was a kid, in my mind I was being normal :D ) Again, I was in those stinkin frilly dresses so probably flashed the whole room when I did that. I also really loved to eat under the table, made me feel more doglike.

Loved Nintendo too when that came out.

How it relates to now. Well the dog thing is obvious. Can't grow up to be a dog as originally hoped, but surrounded by them all the time. The sticks and mud, still very much a nature girl. If I had the guts I could easily do a "Into the wild" type thing and just drop out of society and live off the land. Still very much into any fantasy stuff, faeries, unicorns dragons etc... Nintendo I no longer have, but I go on Pogo and Neopets quite frequently. Also still have a very active imagination.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:38 am

I wasn't really gifted with doing hand claps or jump rope games that were so popular with majority of the girls in my class but I do remember that Miss Mary Mac song.

I was a good balance of tomboy and girly girl. Before I started school, most of my neighborhood friends were boys because there weren't any girls to hang out with on my block. Much to my mother's disapproval, I would often come home with dirt on my clothes. And I played sports when I was in elementary school. Mostly soccer.

At home, I liked building forts out of mattresses, blankets, chairs, whatever was around. I read chapter books at an earlier age than most of my classmates. I hardly do any recreational reading at the moment. Also, I drew a lot. Not so much anymore.

I had tons of barbie and ken dolls. I used to give the barbies haircuts. My mother did a lot of sewing so I would use scraps of fabric to try to recreate new outfits for them. And I made the ken and barbie dolls have sex. I was oddly comforted when Natalie Portman stated in an interview that she did the same thing as a child. Glad I'm not the only weird kid out there. :roll:

I never got into video games but I did have a Tamagotchi when they were all the rage. All the girls had one. They were eventually banned from school because they distracted us from class. Because who cares about learning cursive when you have to clean up your virtual pet's poop?
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:00 am

Emafer wrote:Oh the clapping games!!!! Yes, yes yes. We did that ENDLESSLY. In the car, waiting in line. A LOT at recess at school. And it was so funny becuase a few years ago when my cousin got married she was so nervous so to keep her occupied and her mind off her nerves I played that with her before she waled don the aisle. It worked :D

Remember this one...

Miss Susie had a baby, she named him Tiny Tim, she put him in the bathtub to see if he could swim, he drank up all the water, he ate up all the soap, he tried to eat the bathtub but it wouldnt go down his throat, Miss Susie called the doctor, the doctor called the nurse, the nurse called the lady with the alligator purse.

:roll2: :rolls: :yay: :clap:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:06 am

vmh wrote:

At home, I liked building forts out of mattresses, blankets, chairs, whatever was around.

Vanessa, that was the best ever. Making forts with chairs and blankets and pretending like you were camping. Flashlights, popcorn, cereal, toys, and in my day a transistor radio in the fort. Sometimes walkie talkies if you had a rich friend. Oh you've brought back a great childhood memory with that one.

What about when your formed a girl band with your friends. Our girl band was inspired by the beatles, I couldnt remember the name if ya paid me. Our big hit song was a cover of the beatles 'Come Together'. Also doing songs by the Supremes, Donny Osmond, The Partridge Family & The Brady Bunch.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:57 am

4everconchordsfan wrote:What about when your formed a girl band with your friends. Our girl band was inspired by the beatles, I couldnt remember the name if ya paid me. Our big hit song was a cover of the beatles 'Come Together'. Also doing songs by the Supremes, Donny Osmond, The Partridge Family & The Brady Bunch.

Oh gosh, yes! I formed dance groups with my friends and we'd practice most lunchtimes. Dancing to songs by the Spice Girls was a popular choice. I remember once we even convinced the boys to get involved to perform a dance to an S Club 7 song (I played Tina, the dark haired one :oops:) for a talent show. We ended up coming second place :thumb: :lol:

vmh wrote:I never got into video games but I did have a Tamagotchi when they were all the rage. All the girls had one. They were eventually banned from school because they distracted us from class. Because who cares about learning cursive when you have to clean up your virtual pet's poop?

I had a tamagotchi too! They were incredibly popular and yeah they ended up getting banned at school. I remember falling out with a friend who killed my virtual pet by spanking it too many times :lol:. I also used to visit the Neopets site quite often.

Good times :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:12 am

SPANKING IT TOO MUCH!?

:spit:

I had a Tamogatchi, a nano pet, and a nano baby. And they were also banned from my school. But I had it in my backpack so I could take care of it on the bus to/from school and on lunch/recess breaks. I was such a freaking freak about those things!

Oh man, the hand claps - DEFINITELY! I had an hour long bus ride to school (one way), so that was a LOT of time to burn. "Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack all dressed in black, black, black with silver buttons, buttons, buttons all down her back, back, back..."

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:30 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:SPANKING IT TOO MUCH!?

:spit:

Yep! It must have been a very traumatic experience for my virtual pet :roll2:
&

LikeACurry
Consistently Mediocre

Postby LikeACurry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:06 am

I had some barbies, care bears (I actually still have a couple of them :roll: ) and I was always listening to music and used to carry around a fisher price tape recorder everywhere lol.

I loved the old video games as well, my mom got me a the miniature version of Galaxian, I wanted Ms. Pac Man but was still happy with what I got :)

oohh, those were the days :lol:
Oh, it was always "Bowie's bumped into a door..."
ImageImageImage

curlisue
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby curlisue » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:08 am

Oh my goodness, its great reading everyone's childhood games. We played a clapping game that went "A sailor went to sea sea sea, to see what he could see see see, but all that he could see see see was the bottom of the deep blue sea sea sea" :lol:

My sis and I always played tomboyish games, racing about on bikes, disco roller skates and bouncing around on space hoppers (which we called horsies). We played with lots of local lads so often played hide and seek, tig and rounders and often came home with scraped knees, staved fingers and burst heads. Our poor mum must have been demented :rolleyes:

I also had a girls world which I adored :oops:
Sometimes when I'm freestyling...I lose confidence

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:18 am

curlisue wrote:Oh my goodness, its great reading everyone's childhood games. We played a clapping game that went "A sailor went to sea sea sea, to see what he could see see see, but all that he could see see see was the bottom of the deep blue sea sea sea" :lol:

My daughter knows that one from when we used to live in England:)

No use in me writing up the ones I used to clap because you won't be able to understand it :P

And I also used to be in bands :lol: Me and my brothers would take the planks from our beds and draw strings on them and play the Beatles :rock: I was usually John IIRC, although sometimes I would be Paul just to hold the guitar the wrong way around, which was cool :lol:

When I got older me and my girlfriends had several bands. I even wrote a rap and performed it on the town square. I have a 'prize' that says 'worst rapper'! Fact! I did get hurt feelings too :lol:

Sometimes I would play radio DJ. I'd record shows on a cassette, complete with banter and interviews between songs that I recorded from the real radio. I did all this in English because I've always been a giant language nerd, and one day my mum and dad found one of my tapes and made me listen to it with them. Oh the horror! :oops: I was soooo embarassed, but in retrospect I can see that they were just really proud of me and thought it was well done:)

How does it relate to my life now? :hrm: Did you see my latest video over at Uke Corner? Nothing much has changed I'm afraid :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Maze
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Maze » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:57 pm

Great idea for a thread, Biscuit. Such a nice trip down memory road...although some of these toys/games I'd never heard of.

As a kid and Archie comic lover, I always dreamed of having a pet Sea Monkey. What's not to love about the ad below? Just add water. No pooper scooper needed. :D

sea2-786993.jpg

Since my allowance was pretty limited, I never did realize my dream of getting any of those comic gizmos like the whoopie cushion, the throw your voice device...or those beloved sea monkeys. :cry: So much for my hardscrabble childhood.

Was anybody so lucky to own one..or the whole family?

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:01 pm

not until I owned pea puffer fish!(which was this year!) They really dont hatch instantly...more like 24 hours. They are brine shrimp!! I fed them to my puffers. :D

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Maze wrote:Great idea for a thread, Biscuit. Such a nice trip down memory road...although some of these toys/games I'd never heard of.

As a kid and Archie comic lover, I always dreamed of having a pet Sea Monkey. What's not to love about the ad below? Just add water. No pooper scooper needed. :D

sea2-786993.jpg

Since my allowance was pretty limited, I never did realize my dream of getting any of those comic gizmos like the whoopie cushion, the throw your voice device...or those beloved sea monkeys. :cry: So much for my hardscrabble childhood.

Was anybody so lucky to own one..or the whole family?

Maze I totally remember the sea monkeys. what a riot. It has been forever since I thought about those.

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:32 pm

curlisue wrote:Oh my goodness, its great reading everyone's childhood games. We played a clapping game that went "A sailor went to sea sea sea, to see what he could see see see, but all that he could see see see was the bottom of the deep blue sea sea sea" :lol:

My sis and I always played tomboyish games, racing about on bikes, disco roller skates and bouncing around on space hoppers (which we called horsies). We played with lots of local lads so often played hide and seek, tig and rounders and often came home with scraped knees, staved fingers and burst heads. Our poor mum must have been demented :rolleyes:

I also had a girls world which I adored :oops:

Yep I remember playing a clapping game to that song too! :nod: :D

I rode my bike quite often when I was younger. I tried out a bit of rollerskating too. Yep Hide and Seek, Rounders, Bulldog (which I hear is banned in many schools now), Heads down thumbs up, sticky glue etc.

I used to fall over graze my knees all the time! My parents still to this day make fun of how unbalanced I was lol! :lol:
&

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Venus wrote:
curlisue wrote: I rode my bike quite often when I was younger. I tried out a bit of rollerskating too. Yep Hide and Seek, Rounders, Bulldog (which I hear is banned in many schools now), Heads down thumbs up, sticky glue etc. I used to fall over graze my knees all the time! My parents still to this day make fun of how unbalanced I was lol! :lol:

I just love this thread.

Venus thanks for bringing up another great memory. We used to play hide & seek, hopscotch, red rover red rover & musical chairs. I remember rollerskating & my completely suck-y balance. I never really perfected the rollerskating or ice skating gig. In high school there were a lot of roller skating parties and I always ended up on my bum more than my feet.

Who remembers making bubble gum wrapper chains? What about those thing-y's that you folded into something that looked practically like orgami and you wrote something in each square then you put them over your fingers and moved your fingers around to open to a saying or dare or something. What the heck were those called? We used to play that for hours on end?

Oh and colorforms (spelling) anybody remember those, they were really cheap and would keep you occupied hours on end too.

Return to “Off topic rambles”