What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby Emafer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:10 am

Speaking of "cooties". We had this thing where we would give each other "cootie shots" to immunize against the cooties hahaha. One kid would stick out the middle and index fingers on one hand in a peace sign. Then you would stick out the index and middle fingers of your other hand in a peace sign and lay the perpendicular to the fingers of the first hand so it kind of made a # sign. Then another kid would come along and stick thier index finger into the hole made by the # sign and the kid making the # sign would squeeze the four fingers together and kind of squeeze the other kids inserted finger. Sometimes you'd make a point to squeeze hard enough to make it hurt hahahaha. And THIS successfully made you immune to cooties :D:D:D:D:D I wonder if it works for Swine Flu hahahahahahah.

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Does anyone remember those red-caps.?

Im not sure what other name it goes by. They came on a roll and each one was a little circle & you'd rub a rock or penny over the circle and it was like a little firecracker.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Oh yeah, but they were sprecifically for cap-guns. I'm with you though...it was more fun to lay em on the ground and hit em with a rock- bambambambambam! The wonderful smell of the gunpowder or whatever that was was great, lol.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Since we're all talking about our favorite childhood toys and games, let's talk school supplies.

How many of you were guilty of owning anything by Lisa Frank?

What about Sanrio products? I had pencils, pencil cases, wallets, pouches, stickers, notepads...you name it. Everytime I was at the mall, I probably brought home 1 new thing. I went through phases with the characters. It started with owning everything Pochacco. Then, Pekkle. Then finally Deery Lou.

James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Ok, here was what I had thru junior and high school- a Trapper Keeper. A must-have!

I had this in grade school. How I loved the Sid and Marty Krofft Supershow and HR Puf n Stuf....

OMG! I had this exact kind of record player! #6(Phonograph) It didn't have the BeeGees on it, maybe the Bay City Rollers...

And how could I have forgotten??? This was my number one most favorite toy- the Hoppity Hop! The red one with just a handle....seems like I'd hop all over the place on that thing and daddy always had to patch it and eventually he'd just go and get me a new one, lol.
ImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:04 pm

LauraK wrote:Oh yeah, but they were sprecifically for cap-guns. I'm with you though...it was more fun to lay em on the ground and hit em with a rock- bambambambambam! The wonderful smell of the gunpowder or whatever that was was great, lol.

Oh yeah :D I loved the smell of those!
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:36 pm

Weused to buy them in France - one of the highlights of being stuck in the middle of nowhere..... :D

These days a peaceful countryside holiday en famille would be lovely...when I was 12-15 it was tedious. Only really enlivened by blowing shi' up!
It's a psychological analogy

Maze
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Maze » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:23 pm

This is such a fun thread...the cootie game, the stickers...it's all coming back to me. :P

Thanks for setting me straight about the sea-monkeys, CJ. I knew they were too good to be true. Considering they're still marketed today and purchased for classrooms, somebody's getting rich...here's a more recent ad. Gotta love the modesty on the Mama Sea-Monkey!
seazerobones.jpg

Since I didn't care much for dolls, I totally ignored the whole cabbage patch craze, except for the deluxe playing cards like these...
GPK_EvilEddie.jpg
gpk_BTBrenda.jpg

Somewhere in my mom's home are few dozen of these classics! :lol:

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:52 pm

I completely forgot about Trapper Keepers. If I remember correctly, I had one complete with Lisa Frank folders. :lol:

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Did anyone have Keepers (keypers?)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:27 pm

I had trapper keepers all through school, and I LOVED Lisa Frank stuff. Lisa Frank was ALL the rage when I was a kid. So where the shoes that lit up when you stepped. Man those were hot.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:43 pm

We had shoes with fake jewels inset into the soles...weird :D

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Oh yes, Lisa Frank EVERYTHING. I even had a Lisa Frank watch where you could change the watchbands. And there was a point in the 80's where wearing like 3 or 4 watches up your wrist was THE coolest thing ever. It was up there with wearing 3 pairs of socks in different colors and then sort of stacking them and scrunching them up your ankle. I always had a Trapper Keeper. Through Jr. High. You HAD to have one. It was THE thing.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:19 pm

When I was in jr high, we wore tight jeans and tennies with either t-shirts or jersey tees or flannel shirts with the sleeves rolled up. I also always had a comb in my back pocket to feather my hair with. I do believe that comb was huge, green and said "If you can read this, you're too close." :oops: Combs with stuff written on them were big in jr high....
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Did you guys ever "peg" your jeans. It's where at the cuff you would fold over the excess pant and then roll it up. Then you put on the 3 layers of socks and stacked them up over the rolled up cuff. I distinctly remember my cousin teaching me how to do it hahahaha.

Return to “Off topic rambles”