What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
User avatar
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:14 am

I don't remember the pegged jeans or layered socks, but I definitely remember Lisa Frank and Sanrio! I had a Pochacco duffel bag that saw me through five years of summer camp (until my parents finally let me stay home), and lots of Hello Kitty memorabilia, including a compact mirror in the shape of the character's head. (I lost it, and still miss it. :oops: ) I liked some other characters--Chococat, Badtz-Maru, and Keroppi, but didn't own any of their products. I loved the themed candies, though, and a few stores nearby sell the candies...I'm going to be broke soon. :lol:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.
Image

User avatar
jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 am

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby jillbean » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:00 am

Um, I totally still have an active sticker collection. Lots of Mrs. Grossman's but it is near impossible to find scratch 'n sniff ones these days!

I still buy Sanrio stuff too, but I'm part Asian so I attribute it to that! :D

Hell's yeah on the Trapper Keeper!

How about one of these?
7e7f_1.JPG

User avatar
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 1:58 am

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby Bad Atom » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:43 am

I was searching for a picture of my favorite toy/game (well, it was both) and I can't believe how quickly I found this lost treasure of my childhood...

Behold, the Talking Computron! (Note: not my video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZfL_cmDgg

I was overcome by a wave of nostalgia and immediately searched one out on eBay. I'll let everyone know if I win the auction. :)
Image
Image

Emafer

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby Emafer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:36 am

jillbean wrote:Um, I totally still have an active sticker collection. Lots of Mrs. Grossman's but it is near impossible to find scratch 'n sniff ones these days!

I still buy Sanrio stuff too, but I'm part Asian so I attribute it to that! :D

Hell's yeah on the Trapper Keeper!

How about one of these?
7e7f_1.JPG


OHMYGOD! I haven't seen one of those in 20 years. I had a MILLION plastic charms on mine. And jelly bracelets. Did you all have those. I had billions of jelly bracelets all up my arms. And jelly shoes. Oh man we were all OVER jelly shoes.

User avatar
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:04 pm

I loved jelly bracelets, wore them all up my arms! Oddly enough, though, I never wore jelly shoes.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.
Image

User avatar
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper
Posts: 3543
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby Faith » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Bad Atom wrote:I was searching for a picture of my favorite toy/game (well, it was both) and I can't believe how quickly I found this lost treasure of my childhood...

Behold, the Talking Computron! (Note: not my video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZfL_cmDgg

I was overcome by a wave of nostalgia and immediately searched one out on eBay. I'll let everyone know if I win the auction. :)



I think I had one of those. Or it was something very similar, because I remember that computer voice.

User avatar
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae
Posts: 1318
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:05 pm

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby deliriumtree » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:23 am

Jelly shoes! Why did I wear those? I had the worst blisters on my feet from them, but I wore them anyways. That's the only time in my life I ever succumbed to trends and I pick one that gives me blisters. But, I was determined to wear them. hehe
Image
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

User avatar
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 1:58 am

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby Bad Atom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:32 am

Faith wrote:
Bad Atom wrote:I was searching for a picture of my favorite toy/game (well, it was both) and I can't believe how quickly I found this lost treasure of my childhood...

Behold, the Talking Computron! (Note: not my video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZfL_cmDgg

I was overcome by a wave of nostalgia and immediately searched one out on eBay. I'll let everyone know if I win the auction. :)



I think I had one of those. Or it was something very similar, because I remember that computer voice.


Yeah, that voice is ingrained in my memory. I even remember how the audio would get all wonky if I clicked the wrong setting on the AC adapter.

I just won it a few hours ago - I bid on it on the condition that I would make a video about it and therefore justify the $15 expense. I can see it now... I find my favorite childhood toy in my dad's attic. I take it home, and that night a disembodied voice echoes, "PLEASE CHOOSE AN ACTIVITY". But I never plugged it in...
Image
Image

User avatar
jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 am

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby jillbean » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Congrats on the win Atom! I did not have one of those but I remember a friend having a "Speak and Spell" that I was SO jealous of her about. The voices are very similar (of the Computron and the Speak and Spell, not the Computron and my friend!).

User avatar
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff
Posts: 3777
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby biscuit » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:43 pm

My best friend brought a Speak and Spell home from the US, as did my cousin. I was sooo jealous, cause there weren't anything like it in Norway. I did get to play with them a lot though, and I totally give that credit for my fantastic English skills :geek:
Image
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

User avatar
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 1:58 am

Re: What was your favourite toy / game growing up?

Postby Bad Atom » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:32 am

Speak & Spell... (shudder) Sorry, but those things were scary.
Image
Image


Return to “Off topic rambles”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron