Can I have a rant with a side of BITTER, please?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Can I have a rant with a side of BITTER, please?

Postby Amaria » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:35 am

Because we have too many "congratulations" and "feel good" threads around here and life just isn't all roses and posies and ponies.

We've all experienced disappointments. We've all been so angry we shot a circuit. We've all wanted to hit someone, slap someone. We've all cried out to the powers that be "WHY, DEAR GOD, WHY?!"

So here's the place to rant, rage, vent.

I'll go first. I got semi-fired two weeks ago. Fantastic. Right after I get a computer and right before Christmas. My employers won't even give me the courtesy of actually firing me so that I get severance pay. No, I'm just on the substitute list now -- which isn't helpful because no one is ever bloody well sick.

Secondly. I entered a writing contest. I wound up being part of the editing team that puts together the winners and selects other choice stories to include in the yearly magazine, so I was able to read all the stories entered in the competition myself. I just found out I lost today, to a story with the most abysmal grammar possible. The verb tenses change with every.bloody.sentence and it drove me mad reading it. I'm not arrogant enough to have expected to win -- but I didn't expect to lose to a story that was obviously written an hour before deadline and the author couldnt' be bothered to PROOFREAD. It's not highschool, judges! You aren't supposed to make allowances for that kind of bollocks. And there was a cash prize. Which is one of the main reasons I entered -- as aforementioned, I need money at the moment. This really really bites. BRET ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS AND CHEER ME UP, YOU DARN WEEDY SHY MULTIPLE PROJECTS...PERSON.

GAH!

So. Slightly better. Anyone else?

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:36 am

I'm never very good at this, but I'll give this a shot... I'm really sorry for what you're going through right now, Amaria. Lousy timing, lousy time of year.

The last few years have left me wondering where God is, or if He/She/It even exists, but I never wonder about the ability of the human spirit to rise above the muck and the mire, and from time to time, triumph over all of it. Whatever we believe or don't believe, we owe it to ourselves to try and not let the bastards get us down. We just can't let them win.

So, even though I'm not very religious anymore, I am still a spiritual person, and when I meditate tonight before I sleep, I'll meditate on sending you some really positive energy. It may not make things all that much better, but it may help make you feel less alone in your situation. Less negative, and hopefully, less powerless against the bastards.

:bighug:

I sincerely hope a lot of things are much better for you soon.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:14 am

I really feel for you, Amaria. I went though a job loss at the beginning of November a few years ago and it was a lousy lousy experience. I'm still bitter over why I was let go (considering I had just saved the magazine thousands of dollars the day before I was let go).

Still, hopefully this will lead to a more positive situation for you in the long run. I wish you all the luck in the world. Keep up with your writing. Hopefully someone else will recognize your talent.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:34 am

Aw, I appreciate it you guys, but don't feel sorry for me. Really. I'm just ranting. At times like these, I think about the millions of people out there that don't have food and dont even have the opportunity to go to a strange forum and rant to alleviate the anger from this lack of sustenance, and it's easy to see that comparatively, life is fantastic for me, and really, this is all just a slight (all right, maybe slightly major) vexation.

I just thought we needed a space for similar not-so-positive times.

And Kate, heh, I didn't really mean the WHY GOD WHY part. Though I wonder, what do the agnostics or atheists say when life screws them over? "WHY, UNSYSTEMATIC-SERIES-OF-EVENTS, WHY"?

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:44 am

Oh, but you deserve to rant. Anyone does, despite what they have.

As an athiest, I guess I just don't bring god into it at all, other than random cursing. :wink: When it happened to me, I do remember using a lot of the Italian curse words I had just learned recently. Italians are quite creative in their swearing.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:51 am

I love people that get creative with their cursing and damnations.

Once during a modern retelling of the Oedipus play, one of the characters read something quite ridiculous and said: "How, abominably absurd -- this is a pile of canine turd!"

Had me in stitches forever.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

UNSYSTEMATIC-SERIES-OF-EVENTS DARN IT!

Postby Andria » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:47 am

Okay, I've got a very whiny insignificant rant. Since this is the place to rant, perhaps I won't feel guilty about complaining afterward.

It is 16 freaking degrees outside(windchill factor of 5 degres), windy and snowing. Now normally I love snow and go for walks in it, etc. However, it just hit me like...BOOM. :wink: Last week I could go walking around outside in a t-shirt and this week I need boots, my winter jacket, a heavy scarf and mittens. And apparently this winter no amount of blankets can make me warm up when trying to sleep. My sheets, fleece, coverlet and afghan are apparently not enough to make sleep comfortable. I've added another blanket to the mix for tonight so *crosses fingers*.

Okay, I'm done. I will adjust to the weather. I still feel a little guilty and am considering not posting this...but I will. :roll:

And I have to add, Amaria. This - "WHY, UNSYSTEMATIC-SERIES-OF-EVENTS, WHY"?" is fantastic. I think I will have to start practicing using it in the future. :roll2:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:02 pm

Time for a communal cry...

Amaria: :tears: I'm sorry you lost the contest.
Kate: :tears: I'm sorry it's so cold in Wisconsin.

Chin up girls!

On Edit - this post could be taken the wrong way. I mean my sympathies sincerely. I've tried writing and it's not for the faint of heart. Also, I've lived in Chicago and the cold/wind can be ridiculous. I heart goes out to both of you!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:59 am

^ Kate? :shock: Kate lives in Wisconsin too?! Amazing! :wink:

Thanks for the sympathies, Gayle. :D I've just got to break out my heavy sweaters...and a face mask. :rolleyes: I could take to a life of crime while I'm at it!
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Kate

Postby Kate » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:07 am

Andria wrote:^ Kate? :shock: Kate lives in Wisconsin too?! Amazing! :wink:

Thanks for the sympathies, Gayle. :D I've just got to break out my heavy sweaters...and a face mask. :rolleyes: I could take to a life of crime while I'm at it!

Kate does not live in Wisconsin. But, it is cold enough where I am right now to freeze the whatsis off a statue! :D

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:07 am

Time for a communal cry..

Well, I was thinking more of a communal Break Things and Play Rage Against the Machine and Other Bad Death Metal sort of thing.

But I suppose I may be the only one to handle anger and frustration that way. ;)

Andria, I can relate to you about the quickly fluctuating weather, because it was insanely cold and rainy just last week and now I'm back to shorts and it is such a bother putting away the summer blankets and things only to have to bring them back and gah. Annoyance, that is LA.

I can't sympathize over the cold weather in general though. As I love snow. And I love having to bundle up and feeling like my toes will fall off. I love winter. :D Wish I was where you are.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:53 pm

Well, I was thinking more of a communal Break Things and Play Rage Against the Machine and Other Bad Death Metal sort of thing.

But I suppose I may be the only one to handle anger and frustration that way.

Substitute Rollins Band for Rage Against the Machine, and I'm right there with you!

Kate

Postby Kate » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:22 pm

For me it's Stevie Ray Vaughn or Eric Clapton, cranked so loud the windows shake. My dog hides under the bed, but since happens very infrequently, she can just deal with it. :lol:

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:03 pm

:oops: Sorry... I thought it was Kate that lived in Wisconsin... please forgive me. I assumed. :oops:
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Kate

Postby Kate » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:14 pm

Gayle wrote::oops: Sorry... I thought it was Kate that lived in Wisconsin... please forgive me. I assumed. :oops:

No harm, sweetie! Just an East Coast gal, born and raised. I don't think the "American Heartland" would know what to do with me. :lol:

Return to “Off topic rambles”