What's for Dinner?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Aimee
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby Aimee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:27 pm

Oh how I miss a sizzling plate of yummy fajitas! Sounds very yummy Laura!

Tonight will probably be "leftover buffet" as I like to call it. Choice of rotisserie chicken, Greek Chicken, or sausage chicken with apple (hmmm do we like chicken??) with vegtables or rice...

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:29 pm

Mmmm nachos... :tonqe:

I have a crockpot recipe for this chicken/black beans/corn/salsa concoction that is really good, and really easy. I usually make it and then eat that every day for about a week because :sing: I'm only one (wo)man, pretty baby...
Anyway, I'll be eating that tonight, and probably every night this week. :P
Image Image

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Sounds lovely - how do you make it??
It's a psychological analogy

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:55 pm

It's nice to see some action in this thread. I sometimes think about posting to it, but as I'm not the one who makes dinner at my house, I often have no idea what's for dinner until it's in front of me!

However, we've started doing this Meatless Monday thing. So we do have to think ahead a bit. We don't necessarily always have meat as a main dish, but it does usually play some part in meals, especially something like pancetta that goes so well in veggie soups or pastas.

So tonight we are feeling ambitious and will make even more food than necessary. Hubby said he'll make a chick pea soup (again, not as good as it would be with pancetta, but oh well), and I'll make a fritatta with a bunch of yummy veggies we've got leftover (asparagus, bbq roasted potatos, green beans...). And we'll have enough for lots of healthy leftovers. :D

FS, would you share your crockpot recipe in the recipe thread?

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:08 pm

The kids' school had a Summer BBQ today and I ditched the usual hotdogs for baked salmon with salad (lettuce, tomato, feta cheese), garlic bread and tzatziki. It was yummy!
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Image Image

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:28 pm

Aimee wrote:Oh how I miss a sizzling plate of yummy fajitas!

That sounds wrong :lol:

I had chicken tikka masala last night, so tasty :)
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:29 am

After splurging on burgers and fries for dinner Tuesday night, I tried to be a bit healthier last night. I cooked up a big mix of veggies (leeks, cabbage, snow peas, red bell pepper) with a dash of sesame oil, sweet chili sauce and ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce) and served it with some homemade pot stickers of sorts. I made a shrimp, celery, carrot, green onion filling for them. Really tasty!

No idea what to do for dinner tonight, though. Maybe a white bean, spinach, zucchini casserole.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

curlisue
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby curlisue » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:05 am

Mmm I'm getting hungry reading all your delicious posts :tonqe:

Last night we had chicken in a mushroom and mustard cream sauce, with baby potatoes and asparagus. Tonight I'm being lazy and having pizza and a shop bought feta and cherry tomato salad.
Sometimes when I'm freestyling...I lose confidence

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:20 pm

I had to change my plans for dinner 3 times while out shopping for it just now. The store didn't have in stock some key ingredients so changed plans. A lot.

Finally settled on cold pasta and salami salad. Done with a creme fraiche and mayo creamy dressing with some chilli and paprika powder thrown in to spice it up.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:50 pm

I hate when that happens. I almost had to change my own dinner plans when I couldn't find the shrimp I was looking for. I got lucky, though, and now we're having asparagus spears wrapped in crepes with hollandaise sauce on top and some shrimp to top it all off.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Yum, sherry and indigo_jones.

I crockpotted a chicken with some garlic, soy, ginger, celery. It's not overtly spicy so it will make a lovely huge chicken salad for dinner. Since it's so humid, that's perfect.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Indy - I recall reading somewhere you find the lack of variety of veggies on offer rather limiting.

Have you tried the fresh produce markets? I don't know when they would be in Utrecht or if they have them but I know Amsterdam used to have various markets and I used to get loads of wierd and wonderful veggies and fruits at them, dependant on the time of year. The Albert Cuyp was good for most foods as it had various communities selling and buying from it, so always a wide range. Also the shops in neighbourhoods, I used to get loads of med veggies from a turkish shop for example.

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Great thread! I love to cook, but I don't enjoy it as much during the summer, when it's too hot to turn the stove on. Lucky for me, it's been pretty cold and wet here lately, so I've been trying a lot of new recipes lately. (Although, a change in weather would be nice...)

Last night, I made chicken Marsala, and it was FAB! I tried Emeril's recipe for it last week, and I was not satisfied. It didn't make nearly enough sauce, and the chicken (which was lightly breaded) got all soggy. :x Last night, I tried the Chicken Marsala recipe from Chef John at Foodwishes.com. (Amazing site, BTW. He posts recipes and video tutorials to help you learn!) Anyway, his recipe was PERFECT! The chicken was juicy, there was plenty of luscious Marsala sauce, and I thoroughly enjoyed the leftovers for lunch today. :D Dont you love how some foods taste better the next day?

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:51 am

Sherry, our Saturday market is a good source for veggies -- one stall in particular -- but one day a week isn't the most convenient thing. One of the grocery stores does tend to have a slightly bigger selection, but the rest of their stuff seems a bit pricey. I have options, it's just the one-stop shopping where items are consistently available that I miss.

We've got leftover pita from making shoarma the other night, so tonight it will be chicken salad and pita for dinner. I've got some leftover asparagus from last night, so that will go along with it.

Return to “Off topic rambles”