What's for Dinner?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby vmh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:32 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:
I actually like to cook but I don't like doing a lot of prep. Specifically, I hate peeling butternut squash! And that sucks because I really like butternut squash. Maybe there are some cooks here that could give me some tips. There must be an easier way.

Roast 'em on the 1/2 shell - just cut them in half, clean out the insides and put some oil and salt on the cut surface. Put on a cookie sheet and roast in a 350 oven for 45 minutes-hour or when it's fork-tender. Scoop out and enjoy. You can also stuff them in this fashion - there are loads of great recipes.

Thanks mm!
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

onefeathertail
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onefeathertail » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:52 pm

indigo_jones wrote:
onefeathertail wrote:Tonight I've been semi-ordered to make spaghetti bolognaise which consists of very high quantities of onion and garlic.

I won't be kissing anyone tonight. :waggle:

My boyfriend (who is actually from Bologna) would have a heart attack at your whole description. ;) First off, Italians never serve the sauce with spaghetti -- it has to be tagliatelle -- and it shouldn't be exceptionally garlicy. But then, the Italians have a ton of weird rules. I love to cook, but I won't even think about making anything that is remotely Italian, for fear of hearing some sort of horrified complaint. :lol:

If I'm still feeling up to it, tonight we're having a variation of this matar paneer dish, except we'll be having chicken instead of the paneer, because I don't know where to get paneer here.

I'm actually Italian-Australian, the recipe I'm using is my grandmothers. I tend to add more garlic than required, though, purely because I love garlic. It's an unfortunate habit I've had to take up calling it spaghetti bolognaise, because using the term "tagliatelle" usually just raises eyebrows and sparks confusion. Sometimes I use farfalle with the bolognaise too, just because I'm a rebel that way. I'm also butchering the spelling, but that's what we do here, butcher words. :lol: You're right, though, there are a ton of strange rules my grandmother and mother throw out the window. Such betrayal. Don't ask me to speak Italian, though, you'll give me a heart attack. :lol:

And that dish looks ridiculously delicious.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:54 pm

I love garlic. And real Italian cooking. And the variations wrought by Italians all across the gastric diaspora. nom nom nom.

Okay we figured out the Frito pie/nacho combo - broil cheese over peppers and Fritos corn chips, douse in chili. Eat. Jeez, I'm drooling right now.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Cannelloni. Tesco's Finest range, microwave for 6.5 minutes.

I couldn't be arsed to cook at 9pm at night.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:02 pm

Sherry wrote:Cannelloni. Tesco's Finest range, microwave for 6.5 minutes.

I couldn't be arsed to cook at 9pm at night.

Yeah, if it were that late, I'd be doing something similar!

I am bike-cheese!

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:23 pm

Grr might be a Lucky Charms night... did not have time to go get lunch today :x But on the upside I share mine... the birds get the nasty oaty bits and I get the marshmellow bits 8)
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:13 am

Everyone has exotic food!

Last night I had a boring chicken salad. It's too hot to cook anything and salad is always refreshing :) Except there was a suspicious lack of seeds in my cucumber...
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Panda..ness » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:17 am

i had sausage & chips tonight cos i feel so ill..dunno why, but mum treated me! but then i fell asleep & woke up hungry, so ive had crisps & milky bar buttons haha!

Why did i get double stuffed?

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:19 am

Haha, no offence...but I take the exotic food comment back! Ain't nothin exotic about bangers and chips!
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:24 am

YUM for this thread. :tonqe:
My sister let me have a bit of a break from cooking tonight so she made some AWESOME stir-fry with beef and red,green and yellow bell pepper and TONS of onion with steamed rice. So good! :tonqe: :P
ImageImageImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 am

Loteria Grill. Because a) it's near the movie theatre, b) it has good reviews, and c) it was still open.

I had tortilla soup and chicken enchiladas de mole. So good! I had a sore throat before the movie and after finishing my soup, my sore throat was cured! I'm so going back.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:47 am

The chicken version of the mater paneer last night was so good I might make it again tonight, since I'm on my own for dinner. Or I'll just do some veggie patties or something simple like that. ;)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:43 pm

Yum to all.

So the chili pie nachos worked splendidly. You take Fritos Scoops, cover 'em in cheese and jalapeno rings, throw em under the broiler or in a hot oven. Meanwhile, heat up some chili. Remove chips from oven. Douse with chili. Garnish with plain yoghurt. Enjoy, but in moderation. I made the mistake of looking at the nutitional info for Fritos. Yow!!!!!!

I saw that mater paneer recipe, and I'm going to make it this weekend with chicken as well. Thanks, indigo!

um, tortilla soup...!

I am bike-cheese!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:54 pm

Oh, I also substituted coconut milk for the cream at the end, which turned out really nice.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Oh, jeez, that sounds wonderful.

Tonight we're having chili dogs. We really like chili, and I never fail to make plenty of it.

I think tomorrow might be indigo's recipe, though, or some other kind of curry.

I am bike-cheese!

Return to “Off topic rambles”