Thanksgiving

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Thanksgiving

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:53 pm

Our big Thanksgiving holiday is just 3 weeks from today, wow!

What are your plans & what you are making?

Will you stay home to cook for your family & an army of extended friends and family or are you guest somewhere?

Do you brine your turkey?

Roast Turkey, Fried Turkey, Smoked, or on the weber?

What kind of stuffing do you make?

Which sweet potato recipe do you use?

What sides are you making?

Just curious....
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Re: Thanksgiving

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:09 pm

I will have my bachelor friends and probably a couple who are trying to avoid their families.

I don't make stuffing anymore, but I do a wild rice pilaf with tons of nuts and mushrooms. I don't brine, I don't like the texture. Instead I put loads of butter under the skin that's seasoned with herbs and garlic. And an onion, a lemon and herbs inside. I baste with the pan juices. The gravy? After it's defatted and strained, to die for if I say so myself.

Sweet potatoes are the frugal gourmet's southern style recipe - butter, sugar and time. My friend makes great green bean casserole - pretty much the classic recipe doctored up with secret bachelor spices :) My husband makes garlic mashed potatoes. We have marinated mushrooms and a few veggies as a starter.
We have the "round cranberries" from a can and I make up fresh ones, too.
And pie for dessert - mincemeat and pumpkin.

I've eliminated almost all veggies, bread and other tidbits from there because really in our house it's about the turkey, the pie and the spuds.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks MM, your menu sounds great. Lot's of work & love goes into that menu.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:21 pm

I've learned to spread it out, and thank God for piecrust from the fridge!

What're you having?

I am bike-cheese!

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:23 pm

I like this 4ever! Anything that discusses food Im down with! :D

Your Thanksgiving meals sounds great MM!

We at the Davis/Villa household are pretty typical. I usually stick to the baking and helping my mom with the sides. We just do a turkey big enough for leftovers. We like the turkey sandwiches for the week. :tonqe:
So it's usually just turkey baked and nicely basted, mashed potatoes, LOADS of stuffing, green bean casserole which is sort of new to my family as we didn't know about it till we moved here to Texas. But is now a favorite, sweet potatoes that have butter, brown sugar on top. A couple pumpkin pies for dessert. And I like to bake various cookies. :tonqe: :tonqe:
Last edited by bakergirl30 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:07 pm

Going home to H-town for a long weekend :cheer: Taking the red-eye so all I know is that T-day breakfaast will be at the Taqueria :tonqe:
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:08 pm

What does it mean to brine a turkey?

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:11 pm

Red wrote:What does it mean to brine a turkey?

I think it just means let it soak up salt water :hrm:

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Yes, soak in seasoned salt water to keep it juicy.
Problem is, you can't use the juice for gravy. Too salty.

I am bike-cheese!

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:23 pm

tee hee MM.

Yeah, I'm into brining, but I switch it up from year to year. I make my brine with saltwater but I use some cooled chicken stock for the liquid, celery tops, carrots, onion, orange juice, whole peppercorn & the like. It makes the turkey really flavorful. It seems to be more moist.

I dont stuff the turkey with dressing anymore. The last couple years ive stuffed it with carrot, onion, apples, herbs, then slather the whole darn thing in butter on the outside & under the skin with the herb/butter rub.

I like the 'martha stewart' baste & I think that it is so cool because it is efficient. You soak cheese cloth with the melted butter then cover the turkey with the buttered cheesecloth, that way the bird doesnt burn & then when you baste the butter doesnt all 'run off' the turkey the cheese cloth holds it in. Then remove the cheese cloth toward the end so that the bird browns. It's a great method.

canattack
Half a shapely halibut

Postby canattack » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:52 pm

At Thanksgiving do you just have a large meal is it? :tonqe: I'm afraid I've never celebrated.
Flighty est. 2007

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:58 pm

canattack wrote:At Thanksgiving do you just have a large meal is it? :tonqe: I'm afraid I've never celebrated.

Same here. One of my friends recently moved to Canada and celebrated her first Canadian Thanksgiving meal a little while ago and the food that she describe she had sounded so good! :tonqe: Sounds just like having another Christmas meal. I'm intrigued by pumpkin pie though because I've never tried it before and it seems to be a popular choice for Thanksgiving meals.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:39 pm

I'll carry on the European tradition of not being American by not celebrating Thanksgiving, but rather heading out for a Big Mac and Coke :lol:

No, seriously. That tradition sounds lovely:) In fact my mum thought it sounded so nice that she insisted on copying it when I was younger. True story :) You can't have too many special days I think. Of course it didn't have any special significance to us (pilgrims and Indians and all that), but it was a nice family day.
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:44 pm

canattack wrote:At Thanksgiving do you just have a large meal is it? :tonqe: I'm afraid I've never celebrated.

Plus traditionally you watch the parades on TV and then watch football for the rest of the weekend. The other thing is the stores have really big sales on the next day (Black Friday) and usually open way-way too early. If you work in retail it is the day you dread :cry:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm

I'm so traditional and old-fashioned when it comes to Thanksgiving, lol. I make the same foods each year, changing things up very little. I've brined the turkey for the past 3 or 4 though, as it does make for a more juicy and tender breast. Brining doesn't make it really salty, though, as long as you rinse your bird well after it comes out of the brine.

Brining increases the moisture content in meat through a process called Osmosis. The salt is very important in this process that causes the cells to incorporate more water without absorbing much of the salt.
You can read more about the scientific process of brining here;
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/me ... lavor.html

I make turkey, stuffing (the same way I learned as a 12 or 13 year old from Mom who learned it from Gramma :) ), mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes (some years candied, some years mashed with mini-marshmallows baked on top), broccoli casserole, green bean casserole (not every year but usually), cranberry molded salad, Plain ol cranberry sauce in the can, rolls of some sort, iced tea and coffee.
For dessert, pumpkin pie and chocolate angel pie, which is to die for if I do say so myself. :) I used to make 4 different desserts when there were more of us for dinner, apple pie or banana pudding or peach cobbler were a few.

It's usually the 3 of us, Tom's Mom, My Mom and StepDad for dinner and then my brother and his gf join us for dessert. Both Grammas were always here, too, but they've been gone over 4 years and almost 1 year, repsectively. Before that, both Grampas as well.

I always make too much food but I like to send everyone home with leftovers. I'm always exhausted the next day and have no desire to go out shopping on Black Friday, lol. Just stay home and eat leftovers, yum. :D

Oh, I always put the Christmas tree up a day or 2 before TGiving so it's up for dinner. Yes, I'm weird.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Off topic rambles”