Thanksgiving

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: Thanksgiving

Postby mockingbird » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 am

I have a very small family here where I live currently - just my hubby, 2 kids and my mom. I also was jonesing for a big gathering so last year we had a chili party on Thanksgiving Eve. I made two huge pots of chili and had rice and crackers and chips and cheese. The guests brought the drinks. ;) My theory was that nobody wants to cook the night before Thanksgiving, so come over and eat chili, lol. We invited practically everyone we knew and it was a blast. We had a huge crowd. There was some post-party cleanup involved but it didn't matter because we weren't having guests over on Thanksgiving except my mom. I recommend it as a great way to include friends in your Thanksgiving holiday, because these events tend to be heavily family focused and I think we overlook the importance of including friends in the celebration.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:48 am

I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to holidays. Thanksgiving is distant memory for me now but I did celebrate it by avoiding family and letting my hubby prepare a nice non-turkey dinner for me.

However American Thanksgiving has had a special meaning for me for several years now. First off it coincides with my daughter's birthday (this year, it's actually on her birthday). And it also means my expat best friend, who lives in Mass. now, takes advantage of the time off to come up for a visit! :D

Don't even get me started on X-mas... :hrmpf:

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 pm

mockingbird wrote:I have a very small family here where I live currently - just my hubby, 2 kids and my mom. I also was jonesing for a big gathering so last year we had a chili party on Thanksgiving Eve. I made two huge pots of chili and had rice and crackers and chips and cheese. The guests brought the drinks. ;) My theory was that nobody wants to cook the night before Thanksgiving, so come over and eat chili, lol. We invited practically everyone we knew and it was a blast. We had a huge crowd. There was some post-party cleanup involved but it didn't matter because we weren't having guests over on Thanksgiving except my mom. I recommend it as a great way to include friends in your Thanksgiving holiday, because these events tend to be heavily family focused and I think we overlook the importance of including friends in the celebration.

We don't have any family in our town, one sister visited once in 20 years. (on the other hand, I don't go away for Thanksgiving, so that's only fair.) So my Turkey-Day's always been me hosting friends, or at least going out to a restaurant with them. You're right, doing something the night before is always really fun - I always try to catch a show or go out for a glass of wine with other friends.

On the menu front, I've decided to replace the stuffing (which I can never get the way I like it) with a savory bread pudding...
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:16 pm

We used to have a group that all came from somewhere else. We called ourselves the Lonely Misfits. Every Thanksgiving we would each make a dish and rotate who's house it would be at. I always had to work until 2pm so it was never at my house. Over the years people got married and had their 'new family' gatherings. I am one of the still single holdouts for a multitude of reasons. But I started feeling like a third wheel, I decline all invitations to their new gatherings. :cry: I usually come home from work and watch dvd's by myself and make the obigatory phone call back home to my family.

Vanessa, had I known you were alone too I would have tried to make arrangements for a road trip to LA to see you and Beverly!! :rolleyes:
But I decided it was time to go home for a visit and even found out my entire family is gonna be at my mom's for a surprise Thanksgiving dinner that includes all the siblings! This is for the first time in about 15 years.

I hope we get snow! :pray:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:22 pm

ItsAllRyche wrote:We used to have a group that all came from somewhere else. We called ourselves the Lonely Misfits. Every Thanksgiving we would each make a dish and rotate who's house it would be at. I always had to work until 2pm so it was never at my house. Over the years people got married and had their 'new family' gatherings. I am one of the still single holdouts for a multitude of reasons. But I started feeling like a third wheel, I decline all invitations to their new gatherings. :cry: I usually come home from work and watch dvd's by myself and make the obigatory phone call back home to my family.

Vanessa, had I known you were alone too I would have tried to make arrangements for a road trip to LA to see you and Beverly!! :rolleyes:
But I decided it was time to go home for a visit and even found out my entire family is gonna be at my mom's for a surprise Thanksgiving dinner that includes all the siblings! This is for the first time in about 15 years.

I hope we get snow! :pray:

Aw, Ryche. That stinks. I grew up with us always having single friends of our parents at our table, and we loved it. What is wrong with people?!?!?!?

But yay! For Thanksgiving surprise dinners!

Menu as of today:
little nibblies from the olive bar
Turkey
Garlic mashed potatoes
Savory bread pudding of some sort
sweet potatoes
curried spinach (friend is bringing)
Green bean casserold (friend is bringing)
cranberries (canned and whole)
Pumpkin and mincemeat pie

now to shop this weekend for some of it!

I am bike-cheese!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:30 pm

My 21 lb turkey is in the freezer and I have everything here except the fresh stuff from the fruit market where I get the best prices: apples, onions, celery, taters (reg and sweet) and the like. I am soooo anal about the prep, I make lists on the dry-erase on the fridge for day-before and day-of and check off as they get done. I do the majority on Wed. I've decided to make 3 pies- the choc angel, a dutch apple, and a pumpkin. :)

Rych-it's cool that there's goign to be a big family surprise get-together for when you decided to go! :D

Let's all take plenty of pics.....if not of people then at least of our food spreads so we can all see the different meals. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:34 pm

At this rate I'm thinking the pic you'll see from me will be from Olive Garden.
90% evil
ImageImage

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:38 am

I'm usually in charge of dessert and I usually make either cakes or cookies. I can't decide if I want to make chocolate oatmeal cookies this year. They're kind of a pain to make, but they are soooo good.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:36 am

That's awesome, ItsAllRyche! I'm glad that you'll get to be together with all of them again after all those years.

I won't be entirely alone this Thanksgiving. I'll be with my mom. I want to cook a vegetarian thanksgiving (I've never cooked a turkey or any kind of poultry before and I'm not going to try) dinner but the problem is that I can't invite my mom to my dad's house (where I currently reside) because they don't get along at all! And I can't go to her house because she hates her roommate. We'll probably be going out to eat if anything is open around here. And we might see a movie too since AMC is usually open.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:24 am

If I'm feeling up to it today, I'll be going in search of pecans and sweet potatoes for Thursday. I should probably stop by the butcher and put in my request for a turkey breast and leg, too. Just to be on the safe side.

Does freshly made cranberry sauce freeze well? I was hesitating on making it, since neither of us eat that much of it, but then I remembered that the boyfriend's mother is coming for Christmas and she really likes the cranberry sauce I make, so I thought I'd go ahead and make it and freeze the leftovers until she arrives.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Well we had more invitations to join people for Thanksgiving dinner this year than ever before and we had to turn them all down because I have to work 3pm to 10pm that day. :down: I've ordered some turkey, pecan cornbread stuffing, and gravy from a local place that they'll deliver on Tuesday and I'll just have to heat up Thursday. Then I'll make some cranberry sauce and mash some sweet potatoes, and Ben and I will have a nice little Thanksgiving lunch before I head off to work.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:18 am

indigo_jones wrote:If I'm feeling up to it today, I'll be going in search of pecans and sweet potatoes for Thursday. I should probably stop by the butcher and put in my request for a turkey breast and leg, too. Just to be on the safe side.

Does freshly made cranberry sauce freeze well? I was hesitating on making it, since neither of us eat that much of it, but then I remembered that the boyfriend's mother is coming for Christmas and she really likes the cranberry sauce I make, so I thought I'd go ahead and make it and freeze the leftovers until she arrives.

It freezes very well. You can also just freeze a bag of cranberries. They freeze like a dream.

And Red, you'll have a great midnight snack or leftovers Friday.

I talked my guest who was going to bring green beans into bringing gumbo instead. He lived in New Orleans for years and years. mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm

I am bike-cheese!

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:23 am

Mmmmm...Thanksgiving gumbo sounds delicious! :tonqe:

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:05 am

As someone who also lived in New Orleans, you're making me drool at the thought of gumbo. I might have to make some myself soon. :drool:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:10 pm

Just a Holiday update from me. :wink:

I am in PA now and it is so cold and rainy today. But, ya know what? I love it. really never get these days in Phx. so I feel like it is really the holiday season. I am at my girlfriends house on her computer. I have been friends with her since 5th grade. I am staying the week with her.

My entire family is in town, it seems like the movie "A Family Stone" in the fact that that is the atmosphere at my moms house.
:roll: Too many sisters...6 of us, (2 poor brothers having to tolerate us) and it was quite hectic Sunday night. (Thus the real reason I am staying here instead of at one of my siblings). There would be too much jealousy regarding which one I chose to spend the most time with because we are a gossipy bunch, God love us!

Ir's my oldest sister's birthday today so tonight; a big dinner out, (with lots of wine). We do laugh a lot and it is gonna be a blast.

I am glad I never had kids, the competition among my nieces and nephews is fierce! The direct product of sibling rivalry, Seriously, doctors, pharmacists, RN's, one currently in med school and finally a lawyer. That is some major peer pressure, and I am totally shocked, given my family, that no one is a psychiatrist, or in the mental health field, but I do have a niece that is a senior in high school so it still may happen yet. :lol:
(I was next to youngest in family and the ones that had kids were a lot older than me).

Anyway, just wanted to give a holiday update since I am not allowed to cook or to bring anything I can only chat about the festivities, no recipes or anything to share.

Have a Grand Thanksgiving you all! I probably won't get back on until Monday next.

JoAnn
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Return to “Off topic rambles”