Thanksgiving

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
kellysouthpaw

Re: Thanksgiving

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:15 am

Sounds like it's off to a good start for you, Ryche :) As for me, my Grandma arrives tomorrow and my mom has asked me to hide "those books I read" so Grandma can't see them and start yet another religious debate over Thanksgiving dinner :roll:

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:52 am

Just poppin' in to say hope all y'all have a great T-Day full of parades, football, and napping on the couch :lol: I am actually going home for the first time in 5yrs (I usually go to work and bank the days for later...) which is going to be interesting since counting me there is a total of 3 people in my family. I have this fear my mom is going to put me to work fixing crap at her house :|
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:33 am

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope everyone arrives safely at their destinations and nobody burns the turkey. ;)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm taking pics as I go...

Pies:

Chocolate Angel Shell: (Meringue)

Filled and ready to go in the fridge:

Apple crumble:
Before-
After-

Pumpkin:

Turkey thawing and the bucket it'll be bringing in soon:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:16 pm

Laura, I will be coming down that way early January, please tell me you will make me these things!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:57 pm

You come for a visit and I'll make whatever you want, Kelly! (Within reason....I have no way to make a Jemaine....) ;)

Ok, turkey is submerged in brine and outside where it's cold! (No worries, there's ice in it and it was freezing cold to start!) I have a lid on the bucket and it's weighted down, just in case.

After this, I added in the ice and a heavy pot to keep it submerged. The peppercorns darken it a bit I think, plus there's a gallon of veg stock in there.

Here's the crumbled bread and cornbread that's been out drying for the stuffing in the morning:

I think that's one of my favorite parts- making the stuffing in the morning and stuffing the bird.....having coffee and watching the parades on tv! :D

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope your meals are delicious and your company makes you happy- even if it's just yourself! :hug:
ImageImage

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:14 am

Those pies look amazing, Laura! :drool:
Image Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:36 am

Haha darn! I was totally going to ask for a Jemaine! But I think that gorgeous chocolate angel pie will easily suffice! It looks mouth watering! I will be down there Jan 1-7 so as long as all pans out hopefully I will be able to spend an afternoon out there with you! :D

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Laura your pies are beautiful. Oh how I wish I could be your taste tester.

Your turkey looks just like mine. I use stock, peppercorns, herbs, salt, brown sugar, bay leaves, celery tops, and cold water. Then I let the turkey get drunk on it for 12-24 hours. My brother has already stopped by & picked up the turkey cos my oven is too dang small. Wish that I had been able to roast it & have that aroma in the house.

I love your canisters, I caught a glimpse in the pics.

Happy Thanksgiving. Dont forget to take pics of your table tomorrow. :D
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:55 am

Thanks Kelly and 4e! I'm looking forward to our afternoon, Kelly. :)

Aw, I'll have to take pics of the kitchen. With 6 of us at the table, there's no room for the food. One year, I brought out a table into the living room to put it all on....but I've been just setting it all on the countertop and we all load up buffet-style! I bring the rolls, butter, devilled eggs, cranberries and olives to the table, though. We'll see if I can cram it all on! :)
ImageImage

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:47 am

Laura your desserts look AMAZING! :tonqe: I just caught my oldest Son trying to break into the chocolate angel pie! :lol: I told him to get away from the pie that it was for tomorrow!! I think I might have to make a couple more!! :D
ImageImageImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:49 am

This is the first year that I only made the 1 angel pie...I usually make 2! But then there's always a whole pie for us (mainly me) and I just didn't want to be that bad this year.
ImageImage

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:30 am

Oh! The apple pie looks amazing! Apple's always been my favorite.

Mock! Awesome photoshopping! I saved it! hehe
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:56 am

I got some cooking out of the way yesterday and I've started on some more this morning. Yesterday I made the pecan pie, cranberry sauce (with orange and ginger), and the cornbread for the dressing.
This morning, the mammoth sweet potato is roasting in the oven for a sweet potato mash made with coconut milk. I've also got to figure out how to cook the turkey, which is half of a turkey breast this year. I've only ever cooked whole turkeys, not a part, so I'm not sure what to do! There may be bacon involved. :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today! Watch the Macy's parade for me. I miss it!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Wow, all that food is making me hungry, and it's only 9 a.m.!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO MY AMERICAN FRIENDS!! :yay: :dance: :nana: :whitey: :bighug:

:chick: (let's pretend it's a turkey)

And let's hope you don't get too :partyman: :sick:

Return to “Off topic rambles”