Thanksgiving

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: Thanksgiving

Postby vmh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:18 am

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll!

The only thing I'm drunk off of right now is carbs. I took my mom and sister out to eat earlier. I haven't had a traditional Thanksgiving meal in years so I noticed that they had a special on the menu that came with turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, warm cinnamon apples, and pie...all for $18. It saved me the trouble of cooking (which would only end in disaster anyway). I only ate half of it but I feel like I'm going to die...in a good way. I think I'm completely satiated for the next few days. But my place of work has decided to have a post Thanksgiving potluck tomorrow. :o To hell with black friday sales! I'm sleeping in and hitting the gym tomorrow before work. I'm probably going to need it.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:07 am

Happy Thanksgiving all y'all Americans! :D
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:50 am

I felt the need to use the word "ya'll" because the restaurant we ate at normally serves BBQ/Southern food. I was trying to get in the spirit. Give me a break! :lol:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:44 pm

I hope everyone had a lovely day yesterday, whether they had a big meal or not. :)

Indy....wow, your pecan pie is a beautiful thing! It's one I've never tried before but seeing that makes me want a bite!

I checked in while everyone was here to see if there were any pics posted and my Mom and I were like this :shock: at the size of that sweet potato, lol! How'd that mash come out? And did you incorporate bacon into the turkey breast? :)

delirium, your chili looks yummy! I can tell you like the spicy...I see those jalapenos. I'm a wimp when it comes to spicy.....I'll send Tom to you next time you make some, he'd love it....:D Bet he wouldn't need his little bottle of hotsauce at your place!

I remembered to get a couple of pics of the finished food just as we started helping ourselves to it! I'll upload pics later...right now, I guess I'd better get on the million dishes that need washing. (Yes, I'm the dishwasher. We don't have one.) :P

It was a nice day, everything went off without a hitch, the turkey was so moist and juicy and it was cooked in just over 3 1/2 hours! That's an almost 21 lb bird! Go brine and roasting bag, lol.

It's just nice hanging with family, talking and laughing.....my brother Jeff and Jacob played Wii and our Moms and stepdad got to "oooh" and "ahhhh" over the new technology of today's video games. :) Then after everyone went home, we watched the new Star Trek movie- for the 3rd time. Before last night, I had it tied with Wrath of Khan at my #1 fave ST flick....but now? It's #1. It really was so damn good....so well written, cast, and acted.

So, dishes and then a bit of online shopping with free shipping. :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:50 pm

LauraK wrote:we watched the new Star Trek movie- for the 3rd time. Before last night, I had it tied with Wrath of Khan at my #1 fave ST flick....but now? It's #1. It really was so damn good....so well written, cast, and acted.

We watched that too-the guy they cast as Capt. Kirk did a great job, a lot more humorous than expected (esp. when he had the allergic reaction)! :lol:

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:59 pm

Pecan pie is actually quite easy. Definitely give it a shot! It's also very delicious. I've had a few slices today already. ;)

The sweet potato really was huge. That one potato gave me at least two cups of mash when it was roasted, and the roasting took close to two hours! Very tasty, though. One of the most flavorful sweet potatoes I've ever had, before adding anything to it.

I did end up wrapping the turkey breast in bacon and then slow roasting. Really juicy! I took pictures, but haven't got them uploaded yet. I've been lazy today. Amazingly, I only have three pots/pans to wash. I did a good job of getting stuff washed up yesterday. Just as well, since I've not bothered today. I did at least empty the dishwasher, though!

We're having leftovers for dinner tonight. Why mess with a good thing!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Hope everyone had a good day yesterday. My mom and I went to a very nice Italian restaurant near her home that we'd never been to. I had the best chicken parmigiana I've ever had and she had the turkey dinner - turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, veggies, mashed potatoes and sweet mashed potatoes (for only $16.95!) that was excellent. I sampled some of her dishes and she sampled mine and we agreed that they were both exceptional. We ordered chocolate mouse filled profiteroles for desert with whipped cream, fresh strawberries and white chocolate sauce on top. It was all so yummalicious :drool: I told her that's where I'd like her to take me for my b-day so I'm looking forward to going back in a little over a month and trying some other things. :D
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Mmmmm, yep- you can't beat the flavor of a baked/roasted sweet tater. That one was a monster! :) I love pecans, especially if I've roasted them for a few minutes. I'll have to try making a pecan pie one of these days.
I'm with you- today's dinner is a duplicate of yesterday's only much more laid-back and simply prepared, lol!

SW, your dinner sounds great and the dessert too. I've never had profiteroles in fact I only looked up what they were after Hurt Feelings! :P (Did you say something nice to the chef about his/her profiteroles, btw?)

Jill- yes, lol! Very funny in spots and so many nods to other Trek stuff. :thumb: It was just great. 2 things though- not enough Scotty (LOVE Simon Pegg!) and that little alien dude with him really wasn't needed, imo. (Even if it was Deep Roy under that makeup!!)
But I can't wait for the next one.

If you rent it, be sure to watch the extras- there's a really good Gag Reel and great behind the scenes thing. JJ Abrams is obviously well-loved by everyone and for good reason. :)

So who got up at 4 am to hit the door-buster sales?? Not me! I don't shop on Black Friday.:)
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:21 pm

Ok, pics. (Last ones, I promise!) :P

This was how much stuffing I had after the bird was stuffed:

I'd just gotten him in the oven and remembered to get a pic:

Uncooked Broccoli and sweet potato casseroles:

What wouldn't fit on the table, I put on a card table off to the side: (Sweet taters w/ marshmallows)

My Mom and stepdad getting started. We put the important stuff on the table- turkey, dressing, gravy, potatoes, and rolls:
ImageImage

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:27 pm

Nope, no hot sauce necessary with my chili. It clear your sinuses completely on the first bite. :lol: He might be disappointed in the fact there's no meat though. hehe

I so want to go to your house some year Laura! Hey! your rolls aren't burnt! That's weird to me hehe. They're done when they're charcoal black on the bottom right? It's how grandma always made them! :lol:

Glad everyones holiday went well. Boyfriend stayed on the computer working on various things all day. My only interactions were "No more wine." and "You're too drunk to take a bath right now. You'll drown." hehe So, I twittered (sorry again guys!), drank, watched some tv, and wrote some classy (cough) emails. But, hey I was happy and not depressed so I enjoyed myself hehe. Probably the best Thanksgiving I ever had really.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:38 pm

delirium, you're welcome here any time! :) It sounds like you had a good night- as long as you were happy- it's all good! :hug:

I enjoyed 2 glasses of slushy wine while we watched the movie. I like whatever I drink to be supercold, so I put the bottle in the freezer. WOW.....slush-wine is awesome! lol...
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Yay I'm glad to hear you all had a nice Thanksgiving. Oh my gosh Laura your pics are killing me! (I want some :P) Profiteroles are a nice treat. I remember making some when I was about 14 in school and I remember that they were fun to make, if a little tricky to get just right but mine came out well. They usually can be bought too and make nice desserts. All this food talk is making me hungry...;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:24 pm

LauraK wrote:delirium, you're welcome here any time! :) It sounds like you had a good night- as long as you were happy- it's all good! :hug:

I enjoyed 2 glasses of slushy wine while we watched the movie. I like whatever I drink to be supercold, so I put the bottle in the freezer. WOW.....slush-wine is awesome! lol...

Thanks! I may take you up on that someday! :hug:

This slush-wine intrigues me, but I probably should stay away from all things alcoholic for a while hehe. I like things to be supercold too!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:47 pm

I'm not a big fan of wines since I like sweet and most I've tried have seemed dry and a bit bitter or vinegar-y, but my bro gave me a bottle of Arbor Mist last year that I loved and now it's what I get when I'm in the mood. (Which isn't often, I think I've had 3 bottles in the last year.) Anyway, it's the blackberry flavor and it's yummy. I think it's less alcohol than regular wine.....I just know Ilike it. :D

Venus, if you could just get here I'd happily make you up a plate of leftovers!
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:55 pm

LauraK wrote:I'm not a big fan of wines since I like sweet and most I've tried have seemed dry and a bit bitter or vinegar-y, but my bro gave me a bottle of Arbor Mist last year that I loved and now it's what I get when I'm in the mood. (Which isn't often, I think I've had 3 bottles in the last year.) Anyway, it's the blackberry flavor and it's yummy. I think it's less alcohol than regular wine.....I just know Ilike it. :D

Venus, if you could just get here I'd happily make you up a plate of leftovers!

Nice one! Just give me about 10 hours to get there ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “Off topic rambles”