Christmas!!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Christmas!!

Postby Red » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:14 am

It was really fun to hear about everyone's plans for Thanksgiving and see the amazing food pictures on the day of, and I'd love to do the same for Christmas.

So what do you have planned this holiday season? Family traditions? Anything in particular you're hoping to see with your name on it under the tree Christmas morning? Any gifts you're excited about giving to others?

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: Christmas!!

Postby vmh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:48 am

Red wrote:Anything in particular you're hoping to see with your name on it under the tree Christmas morning?

Dear Santa,

I would love my very own Jemaine Clement for Christmas! I've been good this year! If you do this for me, I promise extra cookies and bourbon milk punch.

From, vmh

I plan on sleeping. :zzz: We've been really busy at B&N but it hasn't been too bad...yet. At least all the holiday madness will all be over in a month. So if I do get a day off, I usually like to spend it doing nothing.

I feel weird celebrating the birth of Jesus when I'm not even religious. So I don't really celebrate. I might end up hanging out with my mom. We don't usually do gift exchanges. I think Christmas is more for kids. As for holiday food, I'm thinking tamales. :tonqe:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:41 pm

If we all get what we want from Santa I think Jemaine will be busy sprawling himself under various trees on 12/25.

I think Xmas is more for kids too. I haven't cared about presents for years and my family circle is getting smaller and more depressing by the years so holiday fun has sort of pooped out. I'm also a bit turned off by the uber consumerism involved and everyone getting caught up in the manic ambition of achieving the perfect day. I'm kind of dreading it to be honest because it sounds like my mom, aunt and I will be spending it 2 hrs south at the grandparents house, which isn't the cheeriest of places to be since my grandfather now has a live in home health aide due to his declining health & my grandmother has quite simply lost her flippin' mind. I'm thinking lots and lots of wine will be in order. LOTS. :drinkers: :rolleyes:
90% evil
ImageImage

Digitoonie
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Digitoonie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:55 pm

All I want for Christmas is a boyfriend. I promise not to break this one. :pray: :lol:

I don't have alot of to shop for this year. Basically friends and a niece. That and I'm too busy with work this year. But that may change.
"Garfunkling" is not a trend... it's a way of life.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:50 pm

SheWolf wrote:If we all get what we want from Santa I think Jemaine will be busy sprawling himself under various trees on 12/25.

:nod: :lol: Ain't that the truth. I have a wonderful image in my mind right now of Jemaine under my tree Christmas morning, wearing a big red bow. Humina. You know how good Jemaine looks in red. ;) It might be difficult to explain to my family what he's doing there but it'd be worth it.

I'm considering what you all are saying, about Christmas being for kids. In one sense it is, with Santa and all that but in another sense it isn't. Of course if you are Christian it will have a lot of meaning for you. I don't consider myself as belonging to any particular organized religion (much to the dismay of my in-laws) but I was raised as a Catholic and all my relatives are Christian, either Catholic or Southern Baptist so you can imagine Christmas is a pretty big deal to everyone. Before we had kids hubby and I still celebrated Christmas, even if we didn't join our families. It's just a tradition I guess. However, I will say that since we had kids, our Christmas observance practices have kicked into overdrive, lol. This is mainly due to my husband. Let me warn all of you who are unmarried or do not have children - having kids brings out a side of your partner that you had no idea existed, lol. For instance, since having children my husband has turned into Santa's personal emissary. SW was talking about the hyper-consumerism, etc. and I hate all that too. I prefer a more relaxed, laid-back Christmas. My husband turns into Kris Kringle. I'm not kidding you, he starts talking about Christmas in July. He never did this when it was just us. So be warned.

We put up our Christmas tree yesterday. (This is further evidence of my husband's insanity, by the way. It's not even December yet.) We got this tree eleven years ago, when we got our first place together here in KY. We got it at Salvation Army. It's the most pathetic Charlie Brown fake tree ever, lol. It's skinny and sparse and I could probably make a more realistic looking tree myself out of pipe cleaners. We didn't have any actual ornaments and we didn't want to go to the store and spend what little money we had on them (this is how we USED to celebrate Christmas, lol) so we just took whatever objects we had lying around and tied loops of ribbon on them and stuck them on the tree, lol. So we have lots of random objects like a rubber bendy horse and some plastic Buddhas I got out of a gumball machine once, the center of a golf ball (it has sentimental value, don't ask), the broken off tops of a set of Jetson's plasticware I got as a gift once, etc. etc. We also cut out photos of our family and friends and hung them on there. Then we made a star out of cardboard and covered it with glitter. So, the point of me telling you all this is that we STILL HAVE all this crap on the tree, lol. Here we are supposedly mature adults raising small children and we still have a golf ball center hanging on our tree and that same cardboard glitter star, lol. Every year we say to each other, "We really should get a good tree and stop hanging these ridiculous ornaments on it," but we don't. We can't, at this point. So, that's our tradition, lol.

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:07 pm

I absolutely love Christmas! I have done for as long as I can remember, even when I was sort of grown up, but not yet a mother.

I'm not a very spiritual person, but I was brought up in a Christian home, and I do like going to church on Christmas Eve. But more than anything Christmas is a continuation of the pre-Christian midwinter feast that our ancestors used to celebrate in the darkest time of the year.

In Norway, as in the rest of the Germanic countries (I think), we celebrate Christmas Eve and not Christmas day:) We take the tree in the night before Christmas Eve, and most people still have real trees. I need to have a real tree because it smells of Christmas:) We don't have a star or an angel in the top, but rather a spire:) We hang our stockings on the night before Christmas Eve as well, and the stocking is all we get the next morning, because up here we don't get any presents until the evening. During the day we make the final preparations (wrap gifts, eat marzipan and chocolate and watch tv :lol: ) and then we have a great Christmas lunch in the middle of the day:) Afterwards we get into our finest clothes and either head off to church or maybe just down the cemetary to light candles for the people we miss. Then we have Christmas dinner. This is a big deal for many people in Norway and you usually have either pork or lamb. After dinner the kids will run to the windows and start looking for Santa:) The Norwegian Santa these days looks a lot like the Coca Cola one who enters your houses through the chimney, but in Norway he comes to your door and you invite him in:) We often celebrate with my mum and dad, and my dad is the Santa. He'll come walking through the deep snow with a torch in one hand and a huge bag over his shoulder. He wears a mask and when my kids were younger they might get a bit scared. Ben still believes in Santa, whereas Nic and Christi knows it's grandad, but they still play along, and I think they would be sad if he didn't come.

When we are done unwrapping (it takes forever) it is usually time for bed for the kids. The rest of us will stay up a while longer and have a drink or two.:)

In Norway Christmas Day is a day for staying in with the family and enjoying whatever you got the night before:)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:26 pm

That sounds lovely biscuit. I hope you take pics of your dad as Santa for us to see.

As for the religious aspect it's not something that was ever part of our home. Aside from being made to do the sacraments my parents didn't care what I did or thought so once I received confirmation I said "I'm done with this bull" & they said "okay then." :lol: My grandma goes to church but keeps it to herself so Xmas never had a religious tone within the family. Despite this one of my family members, who is also an atheist, think that I'm a hypocrite because I "celebrate" Easter and Xmas. Uh hellooo, if celebrate means receiving gifts & eating meals hellz yis I'm a hypocrite and not ashamed. (oh and she'll be putting up an xmas tree so whatever :roll: ).
90% evil
ImageImage

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Everyone's souunds ace, but I am taken by the Norwegian one. I want Santa to come to my house- but my Pops would make a rubbish Santa!

Christmas Timeline

Christmas Eve, 5pm. Arrive at Mum and Dad's. Deposit presents under tree. Commence drinking

7pm Family dinner (usually gammon, sometimes salmon. That rhymes! :D )
8pm Head to pub to meet old schoolfriends. Continue drinking, often in bizarre combinations
9pm Begin bitching about people from school who were bitches, and now have a million kids by different fathers)
9.15pm Worry about getting a slap.

11pm - Pubs shut. Go home. Make toast. Sleep

10am - Commence drinking - often champagne. Yum
1pm Dinner!! (Turkey, stuffing etc)
2pm Presents!
3pm Dad falls asleep. We wash the dishes up, badly.
5pm Board games.

I love Christmas! :D Good times with family and friends.

This year I'm at the boyfriend's parents, and will therefore be unable to indulge in the usual boozy Christmas Eve with my friends. On the plus side, we get early presents on Christmas Eve:partyman: Booze also plentiful there
New Year though...not keen :partyman:
It's a psychological analogy

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:50 pm

I love Christmas and I always look forward to celebrating it. It’s an important time of the year for me and my family. Yes I suppose Christmas is more exciting for younger children when it comes to looking forward to opening their presents and stuff like that but I appreciate viewing Christmas from a different perspective as I grow up and appreciate other things more such as celebrating the true meaning of Christmas, spending time with family and going to mass and carol services. I go to mass on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day usually involves spending the day with my immediate family, exchanging gifts and having a massive Christmas feast which usually includes turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, vegetables, potatoes, salad and various cakes and pies for dessert. Oh and watching dreadful Christmas television. The Queen’s annual Christmas message is usually on in the background. :lol:

Christmas decorations will be up in our family household sometime within the next couple of weeks. It’s always my brother and I who take care of putting up and decorating the Christmas tree whilst my mum displays Christmas cards and sets up the dinner table. We also put up a few extra Christmas decorations around the house. My dad mainly deals with the Christmas lights and has gone a bit crazy with outdoor Christmas lights over the past few years and I guess that will continue. It’s always us and another house down the road which have rather extravagant Christmas lights. :lol:

I’ll be going Christmas shopping soon to shop for gifts for my family and close friends. I still need to figure out what I’m going to be giving them. Chances are that I won't get Bret or Jemaine for Christmas so I’m hoping for a new phone this year instead. :eyelashes: ;)

It's great reading about how you all celebrate Christmas. Let's hope we all have a good one wherever we are. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:41 pm

I want to see your tree mock. :D Also, taken with what biscuit described. Sounds lovely! Zwp- start drinking at 10 am. You go girl! hehe

My family is very religious but more in a deliverance religious extremist kind of way. How to explain best...? :hrm: For instance, I have not one but several family members who have been kicked out of churches. Yes, churches... plural! When you get up and yell at the preacher and the entire congregation that everyone will burn in hell at a church... it doesn't go over well. :roll: The religious aspect of Christmas always had a weird standing growing up. My grandmother decked the house in the most garish cluttered way possible. No surface in the house was safe! Santas abounded. Not normal looking santas mind you. But, ones with weird epilepsy inducing lights surrounding and when possible light up eyes! If they also talked, moved, rang a bell or played repetitive music even better! She'd get them all going, creating some colossal, deafening, animatronic horror show. In the midst of that was always a nativity scene! To prove we were above all those heathen families who didn't have a nativity scene in the middle of their 1970's disco hell!

To this day I avoid images of santa on my tree. (shudders) I have dragons, porcupines, star wars and star trek ornaments, peacocks, glittery snowflakes, and naturally dogs. A dove is my topper. :D A picture or two...

Other than a few candles that's all the decorating I do. I try every year, with holidays to leave the bad stuff in the past and create new traditions that are so far removed from my childhood as possible. Christmas I've come to love. Other holidays I still struggle with. Thanksgiving I've resolved to spend utterly sloshed every year. It's for the best. :lol:

Presents, not sure what I want on that front. It's rare that I get a chance to buy things so I tend to not want anything as a solution. When I do think of something it's usually practical. A cordless dremmel and a new bra is all I can really think of this year lol. Well.. a vacation...been saving for that for a while. :) Jemaine under our trees is a pleasant thought though! :D

I actually have 3 people to buy for this year thanks to this board and the addition of an online penpal in my life! So I'm excited about that! I've stopped buying for my mom. Her religious beliefs have her mark the box "return to sender" each time and after 5 years of it I've given up. Last year, I made a variety of treats for the bathing staff as a special thank you for all they do and I want to do that again as well. As far as plans go...some movies, a warm blanket, perhaps a book. Hopefully some Christmas light viewing if boyfriend is up to driving. (I'm nightblind). I always love that! Never got to do that as a kid. If not a car ride, then a walk with the dog around the neighborhood in the chill air to see what we can find. We did that last year and it was very peaceful. The world is so vacant at Christmas. It's like you have the town to yourself. That's about it. :D
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:14 pm

I really enjoyed all your stories. This is something I will consider a tradition. Us all on this board and telling about our families and traditions. I hope we all stay on here at continue this through the years.
I am far from home, not as far as some of you are, but it is still painful. Thanksgiving gave me a chance to meet some new family members. I am a great Aunt. A little guy just 9 months old, very cute, but cried when I picked him up because I am vitually a stranger to him. :(

Christmas to me is gonna be special this year. This is the second year being single at Christmas, I love it now, but was so miserable last year.(put it all behind me now) I have such marvelous friends that are near to me to celebrate. I decorated prior to Thanksgiving and it was so wonderful when I got back from home, to turn on all the lights on my trees, yep plural, and relax drinking a wonderful little drink with my girlfriends. Liquor 43 mixed with warm apple cider with a cinnamin stick! I highly recommend it! yummy!
As for holiday gatherings, we go to Glendale to the "Glendale Glitters". There is a marvelous German resturaunt there and shops and music and lights that start Dec. 1st every year, this will be our 4th year going.
There is a beautiful display in Mesa at the Mormon Church. Acres of lights which includes palm trees up to the tops and all the flower gardens come to life. They allow all of us (non Mormons) to go there to enjoy the choir concerts every weekend night and admire the light displays. There is a display of the 3 Kings pilgrimage in the front grassy area, and continue 'the story' with gigantic displays throughout the complex all along trails of light. I will attempt to take pics to share in a future post.
I send gifts to my mom, and to close friends. There is a neighbor boy 8 years old who I buy special little secret santa gifts for because he is so sweet and raised by a single mother struggling to make it all good for him.
We do a cookie exchange at work, and so that is about it. No real plans for Christmas Eve, or Christmas day, but I am not sorry for myself, I am enjoying freedom and relaxation this year and will finally not be lazy and will volunteer somewhere too.

never mind my poor spelling, contacts off and still a bit groggy from trip
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Panda..ness » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:31 pm

my christmas traditions have changed a bit from when i was a child, im in that bit where im not quite grown up but im too old to be a big kid haha so its weird at the moment..plus ive only had a couple of christmas's without my dad living with me, so thats weird to get used to..
but the last couple of years ive just gone to a couple of christmas fairs in dec, to build up, then meet up with my friends down in london & give cards & stuff :) then stay up very late christmas eve, mainly cos mums usually obsessing over everything!
then christmas day i get up quite late compared to when i was little (3am anyone? xD) drink from about 11am, open presents, fall asleep at some point, chat to dad on the phone about what things we got, & then have dinner around 5, & watch doctor who :D
then we usually go to my nanas on boxing day too, where i see my dad & get presents from him & everyone on his side of the family, tis nice..but involves more drinking!

& for presents this year, i kinda know what i want which is rare, but i havnt had much money this year for nice things so..i mainly want a couple of film cameras & things like dvds & if i have enough money, a passport for a trip to paris xD

Why did i get double stuffed?

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Panda..ness wrote:& for presents this year, i kinda know what i want which is rare, but i havnt had much money this year for nice things so..i mainly want a couple of film cameras & things like dvds & if i have enough money, a passport for a trip to paris xD

By film cameras do you mean ones that use 35 mm film instead of the digital cameras. If you do then I bet you can find them relatively cheap at used shops. I am holding on to mine, as too much money was invested and I simply cannot part with them...(photography is my favorite hobby)
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Panda..ness » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:43 pm

yeah! i basically want this camera: http://uk.shop.lomography.com/cameras/d ... diana-mini
& a polaroid one too! xD

Why did i get double stuffed?

funny schipperke

Postby funny schipperke » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:49 pm

My close group of friends and I have a tradition of doing a secret santa amongst ourselves where the gifts have to be homemade. We also started a tradition a couple years ago of a homemade ornament exchange. One day, when I have an actual tree (as opposed to the 6 inch tall one I usually "put" up) I'll have a nice collection of homemade ornaments from my friends to put on it. Plus it's always fun to see what people can come up with. Speaking of which, I need to get started on my gift for this year, so if anyone has any ideas for a cool homemade gift send them my way!
Last edited by funny schipperke on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Return to “Off topic rambles”