Christmas!!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Dot
Lost but happy at sea

Re: Christmas!!

Postby Dot » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:55 pm

It's been really interesting reading everyone's christmas plans/traditions, so I thought I'd come share mine.

We normally get the tree and put it up about a week before christmas. Every year my mum decides that 'maybe we should just have a small tree this year', cue my sister and I arguing back with her and so she always caves in and we get the biggest, bushiest one we can find that will fit in our lounge. Then we get the christmas boxes down from the loft, decorate the tree and house whilst listening to christmas carols. My sister and I particularly enkoy singing along to the version of rudolph the red nose reindeer we have (it includes all the extra bits, the ones shown in brackets here: http://www.the-north-pole.com/carols/rudolph.html).
For the last few years on christmas eve we have been going to my aunt's house (my dad's sister). Normally we go in the evening and my aunt also has some friends and neighbours round. Though this year she isn't inviting everyone around so it's just us going round for a late lunch.
On Christmas day I wake up and open my stocking that's on my door handle then go through and see my sister and we compare stockings. Then we go wake up the parents, though these days they are normally awake before us anyway. We all go downstairs and they make some tea, after which we are allowed in the lounge. The presents are all under the christmas tree and my sister and I pass them out. We then all open our presents at the same time, but quite slowly so everyone gets a chance to see what everyone is getting. At lunch time we go round to my aunt's (mum's sister) house and my other 2 aunt's and families are there (there are 13 of us in total). We then all have presents from each other followed my christmas lunch. Christmas lunch consists of the usual turkey (or veggie alternative for me and my sis), roast and boiled poatatoes, lots of vegetables, gravy, bread sauce etc. We also have starters and pudding. Basically we all end up completely full. Then in the afternoon we all drive down to my parents house and eat more food, watch dr who, play various games and have general fun.
A few days after this we have a big family gathering at another of my aunts house and all of my mum's side of the family normally come (she has 7 sisters and a brother + their partners and kid and kids partners).

This year a few things are going to be slightly different though. One of my aunts and my cousin who we are really close to are actually going to stay over at our house on christmas eve night so that in the morning all 6 of us will have presents together. Which should be loads of fun. We are also having the main christmas lunch at our house and so will probably go for an afternoon walk or something in the afternoon to break up the day a bit and not feel confined to one house all day.
Although I'm 19 and my sisters 23 we still do christmas in our house like we did as kids with quite a lot of presents and still doing stocking etc. I suspect it's not til my sister and I have properly moved out (we're both at uni) that we will actually become mor elike equal adults to our parents and get equal numbers of presents as they do (though they still get each other a lot and we get them both presents).

Typing this all up has made me really excited now.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:15 am

Glad you all like the pics I posted of the Christmas lights on Oxford Street. Funny you should talking about mochas, Laura cos yesterday my friend and I popped into Starbucks on Oxford Street after shopping and I bought a Dark Cherry Mocha and wandered through all the hustle and bustle with that warm beverage in my hand underneath all the Christmas lights. Bliss! :D

Aww thank you so much for sharing that video of the Santa Lucia celebrations, biscuit! :)

That's really sweet of you to do that for your dad, Digi. Let's hope that gets him into the Christmas mood!

Thanks Dot for sharing your tradition. I still feel like a little kid at heart when it comes to Christmas. I still get Advent calendars each year filled with chocolate which I look forward to opening everyday haha! :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:25 am

Dot, that sounds lovely! I imagine your lounge all decorated and sparkly with a huge tree the centerpiece. :) Sounds a lot like our Eve and day- lots of food, lol!

Venus...oh my....a dark cherry mocha??? :thud: I must go to our Starbucks and see if we have that......
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:39 am

LauraK wrote:Dot, that sounds lovely! I imagine your lounge all decorated and sparkly with a huge tree the centerpiece. :) Sounds a lot like our Eve and day- lots of food, lol!

Venus...oh my....a dark cherry mocha??? :thud: I must go to our Starbucks and see if we have that......

The Dark Cherry Mocha is absolutely amazing, I'd definitely recommend it! I'm not usually adventurous when it comes to coffee since I'm not a huge fan but I decided to give this one a go and I'm glad I did. It's one of the Christmas specials over here alongside Toffee Nut Latte which my friend had and Gingerbread Latte. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:43 am

Dot, I really like the idea of putting the stockings on the bedroom door handles. I haven't seen anyone do that before. I'll have to file that idea away in case we ever have a kiddo since we don't have a mantle to hang stockings on. And I was like you in that I didn't Christmas at my parent's house the exact same way every year even when I was technically an adult. It wasn't until I got married that things changed a bit. Thanks for sharing! :D

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:47 am

That dark cherry mocha sounds so tempting. I want to try it! They don't have it advertised over here but if they have cherry syrup, I'm sure they can make it. The three holiday drinks they've been promoting here are: gingerbread latte, peppermint mocha, caramel brulee latte.

I usually go for a tall Refresh tea or an americano but I tried a zebra hot chocolate the other day. It's just a hot chocolate with half dark chocolate and half white chocolate. :tonqe:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Panda..ness » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:00 am

i used to put my stocking on the end of my bed, then its moved out into the hall & sometimes i will be on the door handle too hah!

im having a hard time trying to decide what to make people for christmas, i have no money so im trying to make nice things that are cheap for me but still lovely...i have an idea now, im hoping its ok (not saying what it is cos dots getting one hahah)

ohh also ill say im getting this from my nana for christmas which has made me VERY happy :D :D
http://fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/digital/ ... ix-s2000hd

NEW CAMERA *squeee*

Why did i get double stuffed?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:53 pm

If the Starbucks around here have cherry syrup it's something new. I know they didn't used to because I had been addicted to cherry mochas at another coffee shop that went out of business and was jonesing and asked at Starbucks but it was a no go. They don't even have coconut :( There's nothing like a cocomocha. :drool:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:58 pm

SW, I'm terribly distracted by your latest addition to the sig-gif..... :drool: That 3rd, um....movement..... :shock: :)

Yeh....dark cherry mocha. Must find....
ImageImage

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:56 am

LauraK wrote:SW, I'm terribly distracted by your latest addition to the sig-gif..... :drool: That 3rd, um....movement..... :shock: :)

You and me both....I just stared at it for a good five minutes :twisted:
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:41 am

Peaches wrote:
LauraK wrote:SW, I'm terribly distracted by your latest addition to the sig-gif..... :drool: That 3rd, um....movement..... :shock: :)

It does transfix one, doesn't it?

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:56 am

Go to Seattle's Best in Borders if there is one in your area. They have black cherry (and coconut)! At least they did when I worked there.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 pm

The cafe at Borders before they were taken over by Seattle's Best a couple years ago had IMHO the best coffee drinks and they had cherry mochas at Xmas. I used to meet a friend there every Sunday and we'd have drinks & soup and chill and browse. When Seattle's Best took it over we didn't care for the drinks or the food so we stopped going. I still miss it. :( Thanks for the tip though vmh. I'll give their cherry or coconut mochas a try.

I've been listening to an all Xmas radio station and after a few days I think I'm done. Is it James Taylor that sings some god awful popular holiday song? His voice has the most I wanna shoot myself quality so between the repeated playings of that and the Carpenters (another voice that makes me crazy) I will now be listening strictly to my own CD compilations, which frankly, ROCK. :rock:
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:45 pm

jillbean wrote:
Peaches wrote:

It does transfix one, doesn't it?

Thems is baby making moves.

I figured all of those gifs are in keeping with Jem's quote in my sig. :yawinkle:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:07 am

Had to post this here! At another board, we also do a Secret Santa and mine got me 2 Conchords gifts:

I only unrolled it for the pic....I'll have to get it in a poster frame. :)

And this awesome t-shirt! Apparently, you can get this tee with __________ University on it. How cool is that?? Only fans will get it..... 8)

(The other tee is from her state fair in Iowa. I will only wear this at home, lol.)
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”