Christmas!!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Christmas!!

Postby LauraK » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:58 am

SW, your tree is beautiful. Why isn't it up this year? (Though I admit I haven't been as "with it" on decorating for any of the holidays this year myself....)

I also noticed the oven door right away. Our stove was like that in the apt I grew up in. I always thought it would blow up when I'd light it, lol.
I think they should renovate while you're in there if you want them to! Your rent better be cheaper than your renovated neighbors! *shakes fist*

I think whatever foods a family loves to have at the holidays becomes traditional! :D

I did a butt-load of shopping today, online and in a few stores, and I'm almost done. Jake's home from school tomorrow, so I think we'll stay in and I'll wrap pressies while watching the crackling fire........on the tv screen, lol. :lol: I got one of those fireplace DVD's at Sam's today, it has many changing fires, crackling sounds, Christmas music, piano, guitar, orchestral......for $6 it's pretty neat. (Lame to those of you with fireplaces.)

BGirl, your tree is gorgeous and so is your house! What a beautiful hearth and mantle!

I'm loving seeing everyone's trees and decos......:D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:51 pm

LauraK wrote:SW, your tree is beautiful. Why isn't it up this year? (Though I admit I haven't been as "with it" on decorating for any of the holidays this year myself....)

I also noticed the oven door right away. Our stove was like that in the apt I grew up in. I always thought it would blow up when I'd light it, lol.
I think they should renovate while you're in there if you want them to! Your rent better be cheaper than your renovated neighbors! *shakes fist*

Mock, I'd love it if my oven was avocado green but it's Brady Bunch brown. The oven is immaculate, it's like no one's ever used it. The stove top however, is horrendous. It was filthy when I moved in. We figured we'd be able to clean it but even the toughest of cleaners can't help it. The previous tenant was Chinese and wok-ed everything so there was literally grease dripping down the paneled wall that would not go away and the oven hood still drips grease occasionally - 8 years later! I've had maintenance in to clean it a few times but they can't do much short of replacing it and it can't be replaced coz they don't make the parts anymore. I believe this area is the source of my bug issue and will not be fully resolved until the room is demo-ed. When I moved in you could choose renovated or non and I chose non coz it's cheaper but these days they automatically renovate when you move out so most units have newer kitchens and bathrooms than mine. I thought it was a good deal back then but now I feel like for the rent I'm paying I should have something newer. They've had people sue over damage to their personal items during renovations in the past so they will no longer renovate an apt that someone is living in. I've kind of begged them but they still won't. They really just rip everything to shreds and they bring all the new stuff through the living room so I can see them damaging stuff & it wouldn't be pretty. They suggest I move to a renovated unit but that's a lot of work and money and I'm happy with my current space except for the hideous state of the kitchen.

Yis I was afraid I'd blow up too Laura which is why I called the rental office when I first moved in and asked WTF was up with this stove? I wanted to make sure I got the go okay from someone before I stuck a lit match in there. :lol:

I don't feel like putting up the tree. I didn't feel like it last year either & I did it but I was never really glad that I did. I didn't sit there in awe of it or anything it just felt like an obligation. I will have a decorated area set up on one of my small tables - I do that every year too and that will suffice. I'll take pics once it's up.
90% evil
ImageImage

Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Panda..ness » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:52 pm

i cant stop listening to christmas songs..theres a channel playing them all the time & im listening to last christmas by wham right now....I LOVE CHRISTMAS.

Why did i get double stuffed?

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:43 pm

I only love christmas because it means I hear "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas" for 2 months straight :D
Now I sing "I want a hiphopopotamus for Christmas!" :sing:

edit:

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:52 pm

A few pics from Christmas past (2004):

In Norway and Sweden we celebrate Santa Lucia on 13/12. According to the old Julian calendar the 13th of December was the shortest day in the year, which meant all the evil spirits were out and about. Santa Lucia was the bringer of light. We bake special buns called lussekatter and the kids have a procession. When I was a kid I used to be Lucia, and now it's Christi's turn. Here she is with Nic as her whiteclad stjernegutt (lit. star boy) in 2004

On Christmas Eve it is common for people to dress up in national costume

Father Christmas ( julenissen )comes calling. In 2004 we celebrated at home with our Kiwi friends, and my husband played the part:)

Our tree in 2004. I'm very particular about my trees, so they usually always look like this one here. And I need it to be spruce and not pine :wink:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:40 pm

Beautiful pictures, biscuit. Your daughter looks just like you. Are those actual lit candles on her head? :shock:

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Yup, lit candles. :halo: She was closely supervised, and only had them on her head for a few minutes :wink:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for sharing your Christmas photos! :D

Here are a few pics I took whilst doing some Christmas shopping in central London a couple of years ago:

For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:01 pm

I loe window displays...the Harrods Wizard of Oz one is lush.

I want the Ruby Slippers they have too! :D
It's a psychological analogy

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:22 pm

Those huge angels were awesome! :D

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:56 pm

Biscuit your kids are the cutest!

ooh aahhh love the London lights Venus.

I'm a sucker for Little Italy at Xmas. It's not overly grand but I like the simplicity of the lights and the cozy smell of garlic in the air. These pics are from a couple years ago & me with a cappuccino that I had to had to work like the dickens to get (long story) but I was triumphant and had the moment documented.
90% evil
ImageImage

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:27 pm

While I was taking snow pics, I took one of the tree to so I could share:

My mom loves ornaments, so my sister got her this kiwi bird when she went to NZ a few years ago.

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Awesome pics everyone! I want to go to London for Christmas now. So pretty! Italy wouldn't be bad either.

Ew! about the oven hood dripping grease. Ours did that when my mom and I lived in the little farm house. My mom used two cans of paint stripper and got it clean. I highly suggest opening windows though! I was taking a nap while my mom was "cleaning" and the next thing I remember is being half naked in the back yard running around and freaking out about there being some invisible/imaginary knife in my leg. All the while, swatting at invisible hallucinations of knights on horses with a broom. But, darn if that oven hood wasn't clean! No more grease after that! You will have to paint it once done though.

Tacos for Christmas sounds like a great idea! I may make Tacos too! :tonqe:
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:30 am

Paint stripper eh? Good to know. The grease drips mostly from the vent beneath the hood though. Don't think I can do anything for that.
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:45 am

Wow! :shock: Now there's an idea for Christmas ornaments to put on my Christmas tree. :roll2: Love the pics of Little Italy. You look very pleased with your Cappucino, SW. ;)

Pretty Christmas tree, Faith! It's gettin really cold over here but there hasn't been any snow yet but I think I saw some sleet for about 1 minute yesterday. :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “Off topic rambles”