Christmas!!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Christmas!!

Postby LauraK » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:43 am

Hellooooo, Heat Miser.....you're making me hot, sir.... :waggle:
:lol:
I LOVE the Year Without a Santa Claus....we even watch it in the summer when we're in the mood. My brother sat in front of the tv when we were kids and recorded both of their songs on his portable cassette player so we could sing along to them later, lol. And even now, when Santa sings I Believe in Santa Claus and later when the little girl sings Blue Christmas, I still get teary. :)

What excellent pics!! Your kids are so cute, biscuit and yep, your daughter in a mini-me of you. :)

Venus, those pics....wow. So beautiful! We don't have anything like that here. :( So post lots more if you have em, lol!
(Maybe if I went to Royal Oak at night....hmmm.....)

SW, Little Italy looks great, not too simplistic. Were you having your hard-won cap at Cafe Sorrento's? Looks like you're very happy with it. :D

Faith, that tree is beautiful- and the lights in the window must really make it gorgeous at night. :) Did you gather up any of the snow and make a snowball?

Venus, we're having the same weather as you here in MI.....:lol:

I've got all the presents I've bought so far wrapped and under the tree. I want to be finished......
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:57 am

Holy frijoles, how the heck did I miss this thread!? I have had a lovely time looking at all of the pics and reading about what everyone does!

I have just three places left to go to for shopping and then I am set, I LOVE love love finding fun gifts that are just right for people. Like for a former student of mine (I used to teach horse back riding for beginner kids); she is obsessed with Twilight. In particular Jacob from Twilight. I met this kid when she was 8 and she is now 13; that freaks me out! Anyhow, I found a package of chocolates at Target and each piece has a Twilight character on the wrapper...I am seriously considering removing the Jacob ones just to mess with her, hee hee. I would eventually give them to her, just after watching the teenage angst-ridden theatrics.

Anyhow, I spent alllll day today by myself and shopping and found a lot of good deals and that was pretty rad. I am on "vacation" this week (read as got the short end of the stick in the competition for days off between co-workers since we all have vacation time to burn the next 3 weeks). It's the first I have had more than two days off in a row since June so I gave in to all of my misanthropic inclinations and was a loner for the day. I needed it, I really am an introvert-I have to have time to re-charge after social situations. When I told my boss this he responded "yeah, you're an introvert when you're not being an extrovert!" I told him that just means I do the customer service part of my job well.

Christmas for my family is a huge open house on Christmas Eve. This started about 50 years ago when my maternal grandparents had moved here after the war and knew a random assortment of other people also new to the area. My g.g. (stands for "gorgeous grandmother; she didn't want to be called grandma) didn't want anyone to be alone on Christmas Eve so they just invited whomever wanted to come over to stop by. My Mom has now taken over hosting and everyone invites friends and family and we end up with 60-80 people stopping by throughout the evening.

Christmas morning is immediate family on mom's side (totals around 20 people) all coming over to my mom's around 10AM and munching on different brunch dishes people bring while one of my brothers and my uncle cook up omelets. Then there is an insane free-for-all with gift opening and by 1 everyone is stuffed and heads back to their respective homes. The gift giving melee has diminished over the years as the kids have gotten older (myself included) and the focus is now on my 2 nephews and niece. All but 2 of the rest of us are over 21 and qualify for the gift-exchange where you draw a name and buy for only one other person...BOR-ING!

Four years ago my husband and I started doing the monkey in the middle game given that my family is in Chicago and his in St. Louis; it is about a 5 hour drive. His extended family of 32 does from 11AM to almost 11PM Christmas day...grudgingly, at times. So, this year we are choosing to NOT leave Chicago at 6AM on Christmas Day and drive through the most boring landscape in the world to get to STL by 11. We'll head down in the afternoon and do something with his immediate family instead. There are some unhappy responses thus far; they'll live.

Thank you for reading if you have stuck with it this far; next post will have fun pictures, I promise!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Laura, I may be able to take more pics of Christmas lights in town later on in the week so if I do, I'll post them :).

Thanks for sharing your Christmas traditions, jillbean. That's really nice that you have an open house on Christmas Eve. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks, Venus! You don't need to go out of your way...it's just so beautiful there! :D

jillbean- wow. Your Christmas Eve sounds amazing...all of those people would imntimidate me. Kudos to your GG for starting such a cool tradition and your Mom for keeping it going!

Yup, they will live, lol. Christmas day shouldn't be about getting stressed and rushing around to cram in as many visits as possible. I hope it's an enjoyable, strees-fee day. Maybe you'll be starting a new tradition they'll all get into. ;)
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:49 pm

Oh, I'm not going out of my way at all cos I regularly go into central London. I'll be getting some Christmas shopping done soon too so I'll probably take some photos then. Just need to make sure I've got my camera with me. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:47 am

LauraK wrote:Were you having your hard-won cap at Cafe Sorrento's? Looks like you're very happy with it.
No, it was called Amici’s. Waiter told me there was no cappuccino that night, only espresso. But the machine was practically sitting on our table and I saw the milk hooked up to it so when I still got the same answer after asking him twice I got up to make it myself (I was familiar with the machine from my waitress days). Of course this got the waiters all in a tizzy and one finished my cappuccino for me. Hey, don’t mess with a chick who needs her fix!
LauraK wrote:I LOVE the Year Without a Santa Claus....we even watch it in the summer when we're in the mood. My brother sat in front of the tv when we were kids and recorded both of their songs on his portable cassette player so we could sing along to them later, lol. And even now, when Santa sings I Believe in Santa Claus and later when the little girl sings Blue Christmas, I still get teary. :)
It’s the only Xmas TV tradition for me. It’s on Tuesday I think but I have the DVD so I can watch it anytime. I bought this T shirt the other day because I am weak in the presence of red t shirts, vintage graphics and sparkles. When I wore it the other day my friend saw it and said “I believe in Santa Claus” then we both sang “like I believe in love!” :sing: That song makes me tear up too and when it snows in South Town (or whatever it was called) I lose my shi-. I live to see Santa fly into the sky at the end!!

90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 am

Haha, too funny! I bet those waiters were none too pleased with you, lol. Good on ya for having the cajones to get up and do it yourself..... 8)

I love that tee!!! Oh man, now I'm fiending to watch it. We're going to pick up a friend of Jake's he met at his summer camp to come here for a few hours tomorrow...maybe I can get them off their video games long enough to watch it.... :hrm:

(Our avs are very similar, lol....Jemaine really gets around in that Santa cap...) :yawinkle: Just need Kelly to XMas hers up and put it back, lol....
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:47 pm

That SheWolf, always giving the peeps a reason to stare at her chest. :lol:

I've been avoiding this thread. Bah humbug. But then I got an ornament that inspired me to drag out all the festive shi' so here's my tree.

:? Bad pics, I know. I'm hoping Santa will leave a new camera beneath it on Christmas. One with a big ass telephoto lens, perfect for snapping orgasmic photographs at concerts and stuff. :halo:
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:01 pm

:o :o :o at the tree and that awesome uke! I know I'm not a uke player but I've always been a fan of the little plastic decorated ones, pretty sure I even had one as a youth. Where do I get such an ornament?
90% evil
ImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:41 pm

Oooh, I want one too!!!

*hums Mele Kalikimaka*
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:43 pm

The ukulele ornament was a gift. I'll see if I can find out where she got it and pm you. It is so cute with it's tiny wire strings. The detail is amazing. It has miniature tuner pegs on the back and the frets are actually inlaid, not painted. It is freakishly realistic. I adore the palm trees painted on it. *sigh* Vanuatu, on the beach, in a hammock, playing my uke. :heart: You used to have a uke, SheWolf? Do you ever think about getting one? I adore mine.
Image..Image..Image

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:48 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:The ukulele ornament was a gift. I'll see if I can find out where she got it and pm you. It is so cute with it's tiny wire strings. The detail is amazing. It has miniature tuner pegs on the back and the frets are actually inlaid, not painted. It is freakishly realistic. I adore the palm trees painted on it. *sigh* Vanuatu, on the beach, in a hammock, playing my uke. :heart: You used to have a uke, SheWolf? Do you ever think about getting one? I adore mine.

:lol: There she goes again! Uke Pimp 8)

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:16 pm

I like that you have a sort of Bret like sweater next to the uke. :D
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:45 pm

Aw your tree is beautiful, Nonch! It makes me want one really bad. But alas allergies keep me from getting a real one and a really good fake one is a lot of money. Some day I'll break down and buy one. I like how the uke ornament in place prominently on the tree just at eye level. Very nice! :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:39 pm

deliriumtree wrote:I like that you have a sort of Bret like sweater next to the uke. :D

That's what I just pointed out to Jake, lol! "Look! A Bret-like jumper!" :) The uke looks 8)

Your tree is beautiful....I'm hoping you get that new camera, capable of snapping the orgasmic concert pics and stuff! :lol:
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”