"Worst Ever" Gifts

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

"Worst Ever" Gifts

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:36 am

Did you ever get a really bad gift, whether for your birthday, Christmas, or whenever? Tell us about it here.

I'll start with an article in the paper this morning that shared some of the "Best of the Worst Ever Gift Stories":

"Hands down the worst Christmas gift came from my husband of 28 years:
He gave me an expensive diamond heart necklace accompanied by a tearful admission of his years of affairs and intent to divorce." :?

"When our three girls were very young, I received a large plastic garbage can wrapped in newspaper!
It did have a large red bow.
The girls thought it was the best thing ever, because it was so large. Every year since, the whole family laughs about that 'gift.'"

"More than 30 years later, my sister-in-law Linda remembers the worst gift she ever got as a child. She and her sister were asked what they wanted for Christmas. Her sister asked for a TV, but Linda asked to be surprised.
On Christmas morning, her sister got the TV. My sister-in-law got a pair of used wooden hand-shaped bookends. Surprise."

"On Christmas Eve in 1972, my fiance (now husband) presented me with a letter written on white notebook paper letting me know his gift was to be a set of 4 re-tread tires for my '69 Chevy Malibu.
I was speechless. I still am - maybe that's why our marriage lasted!"

"One year my father complained to my mother that he wasn't involved in buying gifts for us kids at Christmas. My mother gave him full responsibility.
That year, my 13th Christmas (1984), I received three cans of Aqua Net Hairspray held together with duct tape.
That's the last time my father was allowed to shop for the kids at Christmas."

Okay, mine was a gift from my husband after about five years of marriage. I had my heart set on this lovely leather jacket with fur lining. I wouldn't wear fur today, but back then it was accepted.
I tried it on for him, showed how foxy I looked in it (pardon the pun), and looked forward to getting it for Christmas.
Christmas morning we opened presents, and there was a large box with a card outside that read, "To keep you toasty warm in the cold wintertime." I opened it up, and no joke, it was a space heater. A. Space. Heater... :witsend:

Your turn!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Re: "Worst Ever" Gifts

Postby Red » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:01 am

Last year for my birthday my in-laws gave me 3 pairs of socks. That's it. Just socks. :lol: They're all about practicality.

My favorite though will always be the year that my dad got my mom a Nintendo game system for their anniversary. I'm surprised he didn't have his initials engraved on it so she'd remember who gave it to her!

thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby thestray » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:14 am

Haha. Since I do various creative things I usually take the easy way out and make girls something. I think they're cool sweet thoughtful gifts, but now I'm wondering if the girls don't go back to their friends like "What is he a 6 year old? What a cheap bastard." haha.

I have an aunt that gives me underwear EVERY year. The tighty whitey kinds, which I don't wear, I prefer boxers. So every year I have a pack of underwear that I don't know what to do with. I usually cut them up and use them to clean up paint with.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:21 am

:roll2: Poor Stray! Is this a very close aunt? I don't think I'd even consider giving my nephews underwear for Christmas. :shock:

And Red - socks! Well, they're practical, and if you have a lot you can always make sock puppets. :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Red

Postby Red » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:30 am

I hadn't thought of sock puppets, Nancy. Good idea!

And Stray if you make a girl a present by hand she will love it. I promise you that. Our first Christmas together my husband was dirt poor so he wrote and recorded me a song for my present. That was the best gift I've ever been given!

thestray

Postby thestray » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:34 am

Red, That's good to know. This probably belongs more in the confession thread, but I tend to recycle gift ideas for new girlfriends, haha. For instance, I made this one girl a book on tape, it was very elaborate, it was "10 Things I Like About Claudia", and I did illustrations to go with each thing, and got it bound at Kinkos, then I recorded myself reading the book against some background music I'd also made. She got all teary eyed, huge success, haha. Soooo... after that relationship came to an end, and another one eventually began, when I had to come up with a gift I was like hey, it worked once, it can work again, and I made "10 Things I Like About Liz". Bam, more teary eyes, haha.

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:47 am

:lol: That's freakin hilarious! You get points in my book for the effort....my husband cant come up with anything on his own to save his life :?

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Worst gift? One time, my aunt got me a heart shaped pillow with an AM/FM radio in it which would have been all right if I had been like 10 or 12. I was 22 at the time. :lol: No idea what she was thinking with that gift.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:25 pm

When I was in middle school, either my grandmother or one of my aunts kept sending my sister and I beanie babies. They were really into collecting them in the 90's. We accumulated a plethora of them over the years and instead of displaying them, they ended up being throw in brown paper grocery bags to be hidden in the closet. Once I reached high school, I gave them my dad and told him to get rid of them. For all I know, they could still be in a beanie babie orphanage (AKA Goodwill) somewhere but I'd like to think that they all have good homes by now. :wink:

But the worst gift was also from my grandmother. She sent us furbies...the creepiest toy to ever exist. We hid those as well but whenever my grandmother came to visit, my dad forced us to scatter the beanie babies and the furbies all around the house.

::cries::
Last edited by vmh on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:32 pm

Furbies always freaked me out too.

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:45 pm

My worst Christmas gift was when I was a senior in high school. My Aunt gave me a crocheted purse. It was red with one big button on it, believe me not good. I never took it out of the plastic bag after opening it. It was accompanied by a white scarf/hat all in one, also homemade, but not by her, she picked it up at some garage sale. It wouldn't be bad at all if she made them, actually it would be sweet. But she was a real estate tycoon, and very wealthy, I was her God Child and this was my gift from her, I guess the expectations got the better of me. I keep them wrapped up and sometimes when I am digging around my storage, I come across them thinking they might be cool, (for someone else), but I can never part with them, not sure why. :rolleyes:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

My ex of 11 years (10 too long in hindsight) knew I loved the movie "A Christmas Story." When he was out west he picked up a Red Rider BB gun for me. I go to open it and notice it was already open AND had been used. He said he got bored and wanted to try it. Nice gift, jacka$$ of a way to give it.

Funny-bad gift? My dad gave me the same necklace two years in a row: year one he had given one to me and one to my sister. Neither of us really liked it but he was so excited I did not have the heart to tell him. Apparently my sister did and asked him to exchange hers. Yeah...guess what wound up under the tree for me the next Christmas? When he asked if I liked it I said "yes, just as much as I did when you gave it to me last year." :lol:

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:13 am

I think I might have you all beat....my ex, on our first (and incidentally last) Christmas together, gave me a booklight and a book about, um....garfunkling. :worry:

Yes, you read that right. Let's just say that he's an ex for a reason.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

Red

Postby Red » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:45 am

Update to my post. My father-in-law just emailed me that he saw that its been quite cold here and would we like for him to send us some wool socks! :lol: Its like their mission in life to keep my feet warm. I'm 30 years old. I think I can handle my sock situation but thanks anyway!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:15 am

More puppets, Red!!! :roll2:

Wow some great stories - different types of re-gifts, and ...Furbys. :worry:

And Stray, really nice idea for a gift, but twice is enough :wag: - you never know when ex-girlfriends may bump into each other and compare notes! :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”