The City Guide Thread

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: The City Guide Thread

Postby vmh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:00 am

Someday, I will finish my post on LA. But in the meantime...

Who: ATTN: Jemaine (and LA peoples)
What: 1st Annual LA Street Food Fest
When: Saturday, February 13th, 11am – 5pm
Where: LA Center Studios
Why: Street food. You know what that means: Tacos!

See you there.

For more info: http://lastreetfoodfest.com/
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 am

onefeathertail wrote: I've plucked some of my favourite shots and compiled them here and here.
Holy crap, feathertail those pics are amazing. I never gave much thought to visiting Australia before, but now.... :hrm:

Pardon my ignorance but is this a dingo?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45436496@N ... 118862059/

And what animal is this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45436496@N ... 118862059/
90% evil
ImageImage

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 am

yes a dingo, and the other is a wallaby, I think.

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:06 am

Yay! Ten points to CJ!

Correct a lil wallaby...and A DINGO'S GOT MY BABY!

Dingo's are pretty much wild dogs, but they don't hurt people :)
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Peaches wrote:Dingo's are pretty much wild dogs, but they don't hurt people :)
But didn't one really eat baby Azaria?!

Wallaby Darned! (an item on the Outback menu :yawinkle: ). They are so cute.
90% evil
ImageImage

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Peaches wrote:Yay! Ten points to CJ!

:)

YAY ME!

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:39 am

SheWolf wrote:
Peaches wrote:Dingo's are pretty much wild dogs, but they don't hurt people :)
But didn't one really eat baby Azaria?!

Haha no! I think one of the other kids killed Azaria...dingos just wouldn't eat a baby...

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 pm

but, but, but....

"After all legal options had been exhausted, the chance discovery of a piece of Azaria's clothing in an area full of dingo lairs led to Lindy Chamberlain's release from prison, on "compassionate grounds." She was later exonerated of all charges. While the case is officially unsolved, the report of a dingo attack is generally accepted. Recent deadly dingo attacks in other areas of Australia have strengthened the case for the dingo theory."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azaria_Cha ... appearance
90% evil
ImageImage

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:05 pm

I had to go to wiki to read up on baby Azaria too. Its all viry perplexing. Somebody knows something and they're not telling. :hrm:

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:55 pm

I don't think she did it, but something else happened...And dingoes don't usually bite unless provoked...they certainly wouldn't go into a zipped up tent!

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 pm

Oh...back to topic...Adelaide is really hot. Literally :P

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:32 am

My goal with this thread was to write out a somewhat comprehensive city guide for LA because I think people that get to travel and write about it have the best jobs ever. But now I realize that it's actually a lot of work and I'm lazy as hell. :lol:

So instead, I will just include a list of places you should check out if you're in town.

The Original Farmers Market (off of 3rd/Fairfax) - I love coming here for lunch. They have so many options. Whatever cuisine you're in the mood for, they most likely have it. My favorite is Sinapore's Banana Leaf. It's right next to The Grove so you could walk around, go shopping, or see a movie after.

Venice Beach - This has more of a hippie/bohemian vibe compared to other LA beaches. Go here if you want to be entertained! They have palm readers, street performers, arts & crafts vendors, bongo players, etc. It's great for people watching. Venice has some good bookstores too. Check out Small World Books and Equator Books. After, stop for tea and dessert at Jin Patisserie.

Walt Disney Concert Hall - Gorgeous! The interior is amazing too! I feel lucky that I got to see Terry Riley's organ recital here. If you can't attend one of the concerts, I highly recommend that you stop by anyway for a self-guided tour.

Upright Citizen's Brigade Theatre - The best comedy in LA! Most shows are $5-$8 and some are free even. They teach improv and sketch writing classes here too.

Silent Movie Theatre – So much more than just silent films! If you’re a movie lover, this place is a must! That is all.

Ah, see! I'm tired of doing this already. :roll:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:12 am

Thought this area could use some love... well if you come to Portland, OR you can eat real cheap: http://www.foodcartsportland.com/ and more than likely not get poisoned :lol: There are city blocks full of carts here 8) When you are done eating you can go look at the trees and stuff :P

(* I am not from here so I consider this locale bereft of any culture)

If you want to venture outside of the city limits into my town you might want to watch out for all the vicious crimminals lurking in the L.O.

http://www.lakeoswegoreview.com/news/story.php?story_id=126644987809249900

Just a sampling of the horrible crimes going on (it is like I live in tha hood ! )

2/9/10 4:20 p.m. A woman was defrauded of checks totaling $2,037 by a doctor. However, an officer pointed out that the theft took place 11 years ago and the statute of limitations had run out.

2/11/10 1:03 p.m. A condo owner has been the target of pinecones thrown by a neighbor.

2/12/10 6:42 p.m. A male wearing black clothing was staggering onto the roadway at Boones Ferry and Reese roads. He was urged to stay on the sidewalk.

2/13/10 7:44 p.m. A woman clad only in her underwear refused to go inside, even though she admitted to being cold.
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:12 am

I'd love to visit Portland! :lol:

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Peaches wrote:I'd love to visit Portland! :lol:

I would totally show you the intresting stuff the guidebooks leave out 8) Like the bum/transient/loon who has dyed himself blue (think along the lines of a smurf). He started out with just his scraggly white bum beard but now he wears all blue sweats and his skin is blue too ! Incase you are in downtown Portland he is at the Nordstoms outdoor coffee bar almost everyday; you can't miss him :wink:
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

Return to “Off topic rambles”