Names names names

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Names names names

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:38 pm

Sounds awesome! I'll go ahead and post something totally random and off topic just to get things running:

Last night I met a beautiful baby girl named Lefty. That is actually her name. She was named after the singer Lefty Frizelle and the song The Ballad of Poncho and Lefty but Willie Nelson. I think it's kind of cute if you're a baby. But if you want to grow up and be an accountant you're probably screwed. Discuss.....

closet jemainiac

Re: Off topic blather

Postby closet jemainiac » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:58 pm

with all the unconventional names being used now a days, names like John and Mary will certainly be the "odd" ones. Depending on where you live I guess. I thought my sister did well when she named her daughters Iris and Isabel, then she went and had a son and called him Beckett :| Who hubby and I affectionately call "bucket"...and big sis Isabel calls him by HER first choice....Wasabi... :lol:

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:12 pm

Lefty's father is names Harmony. And he's a film maker so I guess that works.

I Love WASABI! That is hilarious!

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 pm

I think its a cartoon character name and that's where she got it from.. And I had to explain to everyone that wasabi is a green paste you eat with sushi.....my fam is not the sushi eating kind... :lol:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Emafer wrote:Lefty's father is names Harmony. And he's a film maker so I guess that works.
Harmony Korine? EDIT: Yes according to imdb Lefty Bell. You know him? Is he as weird as I think he is? :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:27 pm

:rolls: Wasabi! :rolls:

Lefty is great if you ARE one, but if not, hmmm. And how will they know til she's a few years older? :hrm:
It's a cute nickname, though.

Working with kids a lot makes having unusual first names tough for me. Sometimes I haven't got a clue as to what the child with the exotic first name is saying. I'll play the age card so they'll spell and pronounce it for me. Whew.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 pm

I knew a girl named Breezy once. I think that's kind of cute.
90% evil
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Hey SheWolf- Shoot me a PM.

I just sort of feel like naming a child is a heavy responsibility and I wouldn't want to impose my own set of life rules on someone who hasn't formed their yet. Like I wouldn't ant to restrict them in that way. Does that make sense. Like yes, as a writer with a musician for a husband it's likely that our child will be involved in The Arts in some way. However, if my child wants to be Alex P. Keaton and that is what makes them happy then I want them to do that. If you have a name like Lefty or Breezy then that's not possible. Now someone named Mary could be anyone they want to be. I have a friend who has friend that just named their baby Clutch. Seriously, like the clutch on a car engine. They are big NASCAR fans and the father is a mechanic. Could clutch ever be an Episcopal priest? I don't think so. Would anyone take a professor named "Clutch" seriously?

That being said, I LOVE the name Sailor. But it's probably a blessing that my husband hates it and refuses to have a child named Sailor.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:28 am

So is he going to have name approval?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:36 am

I could talk about names forever. I'm a name nerd. I don't think there is a place for the names Mary or John et all in the year 2010 and going forward. They are so bland and overused that they are generic. Ideally I think a kid should have a name that's not super common but not too weird. And it should be timeless, not suggestive of an era like the Donnas of my mom's time or the Jennifer of mine. And you know darned well that the Aidens, Morgans and Brittanys of today are going to sound pretty dopey in years to come (not that they don't already).
90% evil
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:08 am

I think that a generic sounding name can still have a lot of meaning to some people. For example, there are a billion Thomas/Tom/Tommy's in this world but that is the name of my father, grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather. It's also the middle name of my nephew and my cousin. So even though it's generic sounding it has a tremendous amount of meaning to me and I would be proud to give that name to a son. So I think that names like Mary, John, Mike, Kate etc. will carry on for that reason.

But yeah, names that drive me nuts are the Donna, Linda Barbaras along with the Jennifer, Heather, Megans.

And in kind of bothers me when names that I've always liked like Olivia, Sophie and Aiden become so popular and over used. Becuase now I totally can't name my kid that. I refuse to have a Top 20 kid name.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:20 am

We went with family middle names and our favorite name for her first name - Amy Loretta Marta, for her two Great Grandmothers who were alive at the time.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:22 am

My middle name is my dad's mother's maiden name and my brother's middle name is my mom's maiden name.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:49 am

My son is Jacob Charles. No real rhyme or reason to us picking Jacob but you can't do anything really teasy to it and I love how masculine it is even when shortened. I'd say "Jake _______, Private Eye" and it just sounded like a cool, tough name. Although Jake is the opposite of tough, he's such a sweetheart and wouldn't hurt a fly. :lol: Charles after my Dad, who was Charles Robert.

Yeah Em...will he get a say in the name?

These celebs who give their kids such bizarro names.... :roll:

Pilot Inspektor~ Jason Lee
Kyd Duchovny~ David Duchovny
Moxie Crimefighter~ Penn Jillette
Tu Morrow~ Rob Morrow
Jermajesty~ Jermaine Jackson
Fifi Trixibelle~ Bob Geldof
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:14 am

My name is Jennifer Lee. The only thing that could possibly be more generic is Jennifer Lynn. :roll:

I think Harmony is a pretty name, in fact we almost named our daughter Harmony. Being a Jennifer Lee, I like unusual names, lol - but I also see the need to have a normal name sometimes. So my theory of naming is to give one weird name and one normal name, that way they can choose for themselves when they get older. My son is Robert Coltrane, after his grandfather and John Coltrane. You wouldn't believe how many people think we named him after Roscoe P. Coltrane from The Dukes of Hazard. :lol: He goes by his middle name, which is a pain now that he's in school because they are constantly screwing up his name and sometimes they use his first name, sometimes they use "Cole" which is what we call him but isn't officially his name at all, and I'm actually worried that his school records might get screwed up by this, in fact I'll be amazed if they don't. So, because of that, we named our daughter Madeline Sage so her weird name is her middle name, and we call her Madeline ( and Maddie).

This is probably going to sound a bit sexist but I think girls should have more traditional names because women tend not to be taken as seriously as men in lots of areas, and if your name is something fluffy and whimsical that doesn't help any.

Has anyone read that chapter in Freakonomics where they talk about "rich" names and "poor" names?

Return to “Off topic rambles”