Names names names

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Names names names

Postby eejm » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:40 pm

SheWolf wrote:BTW my mom would suggest to spell it Dayna so there's no confusion as to the pronunciation. :wink:

I have a friend named Dayna, and she's awesome. I just wish I could erase the annoying co-worker Dana from my mind!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 pm

I knew a Dana who pronounced her name Danna. Dumb.

BTW in England I figured people wouldn't like my name coz it would remind them of a truck. :(
90% evil
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:55 pm

I have a cousin named Dana who is amazing. And we have a million nicknames for her, but usually just "D". Her initials are DLT so we also used to call her McDLT like the McDonald's McBLT hahahahaha. On the other side I have an uncle who's sister is named Dayna.

On a funnier note, Dana's little sister Christa hated her name when we were little and she wanted to be called Stacy hahahaha. I don't know why. She must have thought that was a cool name. So she made us call her Stacy until her mom called her that and she hated it. She said, "MOOO-OOOOM, it sounds stupid when YOU say it" hahahahahha To this day we tease her and call her Stacy.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Thanks for the compliments on my name, ladies! People mistakenly call me Vanessa all the time. People also tend to pronounce my name 'Vezna' for some reason. I'm used to it and it doesn't really bother me since it's close enough but I did have a friend who would correct anyone who called me 'Vezna'. :lol: I get called Ves quite often. For some reason I find it kinda weird if people who hardly know me shorten my name.

Ooh Rad is such a cool name!

SW, yes it is unfortunate that we associate your name with a 'lorry' over here. Coming to think of it, I think Lori sounds better in an American accent. I may not get the right pronunciation if I was to say your name so apologies in advance if we do meet in the UK and I pronounce your name differently! Maybe I'm better off calling you SheWolf. :lol:

Peaches wrote:
Emafer wrote:I didn't have a confirmation name because Emily is a Catholic name. You only have to have a confirmation name if your given name is not Catholic.

Is it different for some areas? I'm Roman Catholic and my first name is already a Catholic name and we took the name of a saint whom you admire or feels a special affinity with, then they become like your guide or protector. Or something...

Yep that's exactly why we were told to choose a confirmation name.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Venus wrote: For some reason I find it kinda weird if people who hardly know me shorten my name.

I feel the exact same way. Everybody I know well calls me Em but I would never introduce myself as such. I always introduce myself as "Emily". So it's odd to me when someone I've just met or someone that I don't know very well calls me "Em". My dad calls me Emma and then an old roomie of mine caught on and my husband and another friend. So when someone calls me that it's very intimate feeling like term of endearment. It would be VERY awkward for me if a stranger called me Emma.

I have a niece named Emma and she hates being called "Em" she will correct you right away and say, "No, it's EMMA!"

My Goddaughter is Isabella but we call her Bella, Belle and Belli. But she's never been an Izzy or Iz or anything like that. In fact she most commonly goes by Bella.

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Emafer wrote:
Venus wrote: For some reason I find it kinda weird if people who hardly know me shorten my name.

I feel the exact same way. Everybody I know well calls me Em but I would never introduce myself as such. I always introduce myself as "Emily". So it's odd to me when someone I've just met or someone that I don't know very well calls me "Em". My dad calls me Emma and then an old roomie of mine caught on and my husband and another friend. So when someone calls me that it's very intimate feeling like term of endearment. It would be VERY awkward for me if a stranger called me Emma.

I'm also a little weirded out when people I don't know call me Em. But, I like it when people I've known awhile feel comfortable enough with me to call me that. My family calls me Emmy and always has. Even my niece and nephews call me Aunt Emmy. :)

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Exactly, I view shortening people's names as a term of endearment and I've never introduced myself as Ves so I do find it quite odd if people who hardly know me automatically shorten my name. I agree, eejm that I like it when people who are good friends with me choose to call me Ves though.

I have a friend called Isabella and she's the opposite because no one calls her Bella/Belle etc. She goes by Izzy or Iz.
&

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 pm

My husband calls me Emaleen. But that's just the start. Then it's Emaleeza Rice, Em Lam Lamading. Emma Lamma Ding Dong, and the list goes on. He makes up a new one every time he says it. Like when they make fun of M. Night Shamalyan's name on The Soup. It's hilarious. When he's mad at me, or doesn't like me very much it's just Emily. But I know when he's softening up and has kindness in his heart when it turns into a nickname. Lately it's Emma so that's good.

Ashley
New arrival

Postby Ashley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:23 pm

I am still naming my kid Bruce Wayne hahah Idk if this is a bad thing but idc really I am a hradcore Batman fan :D well if or when I have kids

I think the like oddest name I have heard a kid named is probally like D'arcy and he wanted it pronounced Darcy hahaha but I always referred to him Duharcy hahaha
A doom house?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Venus wrote:SW, yes it is unfortunate that we associate your name with a 'lorry' over here. Coming to think of it, I think Lori sounds better in an American accent. I may not get the right pronunciation if I was to say your name so apologies in advance if we do meet in the UK and I pronounce your name differently! Maybe I'm better off calling you SheWolf. :lol:
No worries. I'm fine with SheWolf or SW. :wink: I actually didn't care much for the English pronunciation of my name (not that you can help it of course) which is sad coz most things sound better with an English accent. :) I'd have called you Vezna if I didn't know better. I guess it's more like Vessna, no?

I've been called every nickname related to Lor - Loreen, Lorena, Lorna, Lorelei. Also Lolly and Lola.
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Cool. 8)
Yep, that's how my name is pronounced. :)
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:12 pm

I immediately correct someone if they call me anything but Laura. :)

The dude with the name "Rad..." It would be cool if that were his middle name, first name "Totally." :lol:

I was browsing in my used book store this afternoon and there were a few baby name books I might've gotten if they'd been cheaper. I was standing there laughing....the only ones I can remember are Haynes and Harmon. Really?? For first names?
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:01 am

I've known boys named Blade and Cutter. They weren't related. Seriously what were their parents thinking?

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 am

I think that Bruce Wayne is an awesome name!

Emafer is a combo of Emily and Christopher. Growing up my cousin Christopher was always called Chris. My aunts and my mom and I were the only ones that called him Christopher. So he called me Emily-fer and it ended up as Emafer. And yes, along with Auntie Emily I also get Auntie Emafer. Rarely does anyone outside of my family call me Emafer in person but everyone on my dad's side calls me that.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am

Wow, and I just started calling you Em as a shortening of your username, Em. And now I find in my mind I've been mispronouncung Emafer - I always thought it was
Ee-may-fer. :doh:

PS - Welcome, Ashley! Tell us about yourself over on the Introduce Yourself thread.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”