Names names names

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: Names names names

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:12 am

I think that a lot of people, when just reading it, pronounce it ee-MAY-fur. But it's much goofier than that hahaha

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:27 am

Guilty, ee-MAY-fur. :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:11 am

I always thought of it as rhyming with Jennifer, but that's natural since that's my own name, lol.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:45 am

And are you a Jen or Jenny or are you a Jennifer?

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:03 am

Jen to friends, Jennifer to strangers. ;)

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:14 am

Jennifer is a pretty popular name but some are Jen's others are Jenny's and then there are a few Jennifers which is why I asked. My cousin Jennifer ended up Fur-ball hahahahaha

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:26 am

I know three Jennys, actually two Jennys and a Jenni. The Jenni and one of the Jennys were actually just named that, it's not shortened. I would probably be a Jenny instead of a Jen, except my grandfather's mother was named Jenny and I guess she was a real b****, I mean she is legendary, lol. ;) So my grandmother was adamantly opposed to that name. She used to actually get angry if people called me that, lol. I asked her about it a couple of times and she always said it was because she used to have a cow when she was growing up named Jenny, so to her it was always going to be a cow's name. :purple:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:39 am

mock - I'm not sure why it took me so long to make the connection between the FOTC song and your name. Have you ever felt the urge to start singing the first few lines of Jenny to a stranger at the park? Have you ever wanted to brag that FOTC named a song after you? :lol:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:56 am

Hee hee! I actually prefer the Carol Brown reference. "Jen said she'd never ever see me again - when I saw her again, she said it again." :lol:

MUCH better than what my husband does, which is sing "867-530 ni-ee-yi-ine" at top volume. He thinks this is funny, for some reason. :hrm: :roll: :lol:

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:13 pm

mockingbird wrote:MUCH better than what my husband does, which is sing "867-530 ni-ee-yi-ine" at top volume. He thinks this is funny, for some reason. :hrm: :roll: :lol:
Um....what's that in reference to?

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:16 pm

mockingbird wrote:Hee hee! I actually prefer the Carol Brown reference. "Jen said she'd never ever see me again - when I saw her again, she said it again." :lol:

My son is amazed that the Conchords knew my name enough to include it in Carol Brown ("Emily...no chemistry...")

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:15 pm

kipples wrote:
mockingbird wrote:MUCH better than what my husband does, which is sing "867-530 ni-ee-yi-ine" at top volume. He thinks this is funny, for some reason. :hrm: :roll: :lol:
Um....what's that in reference to?

It's a song from the 80s by Tommy Tutone called "867-5309/Jenny".

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:55 pm

eejm wrote:
My son is amazed that the Conchords knew my name enough to include it in Carol Brown ("Emily...no chemistry...")

I love it. That's adorable.

I met a girl named Carol yesterday and of course all I could think was "Carol Brown just took a bus out of town"

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:24 am

Emafer wrote:I think that a lot of people, when just reading it, pronounce it ee-MAY-fur. But it's much goofier than that hahaha

I had gotten the Emily+Christopher pronunciation but am guilty of shortening it to "Em" when writing you here-sorry! I have a good friend in Colorado named Emily who always goes by "Em" and then really confuses people by signing things "M"

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:37 am

My niece's name is Sue Ellen. Her Mom's side of the fam is of Mexican heritage but no one in the second generation of the family has names of that culture; everyone (my sis-in-law has 6 siblings) deliberately went with "American" names. The story goes that my nephews got to name my niece and she is named after a character (a world-traveling cat skilled in martial arts) in the cartoon Arthur the Aardvark. Truth be told, all I can think of when I hear it is the night-time soap "Dynasty"...wasn't there a character by the same name?

Anyway, the original family members to come to the States and even some of the first generation folks had a hard time with the way they initially spelled her name; Suellen. So they ended up changing it to Sue Ellen. Regardless, they all still have a hard time pronouncing it and tend to say "swellen" so she is instead referred to as "mama" by most of them! :lol:

My g.g. (stand for gorgeous grandmother, she was not ready to be called "grandma" when I arrived) is first generation Japanese-American and had the given name Seiko [like the watch]. She grew up in California and she and her siblings were all given "American" names by their school teachers; she got "Sally" from the Dick and Jane books...my mom and aunts joke that she was lucky to have avoided being dubbed "Spot." Anyhow, her family wound up being in internment camps during WWII and being obviously American was all the more important so they pretty much went to writing, reading and speaking in just English.

Return to “Off topic rambles”