Names names names

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Names names names

Postby kipples » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 am

Red wrote:Ghostbusters! Dana was Sigourney Weaver's character.
Sigourney, now that's a name!

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 am

Peaches wrote:Sorry I'm late to the party...but come on...the name Dana...who doesn't instantly think...

"THERE IS NO DANA, ONLY ZUUL!!"

:lol:

Just me? :oops:

In the zombie voice, of course. :D

eejm

Postby eejm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:42 am

Red wrote:I never liked my maiden name so I was excited to change it when we got married. I have a much better last name now. It didn't factor into my decision at all, but I think a lot of people in his family would have taken it personally if I had not changed my name. They are big into family history and carrying on the name so it would have been an insult to them. My family couldn't care less about last names though.

My best friend's former husband said he would have been insulted if she hadn't taken his name. He was really kind of an a-hole about that (among other things), so much so that she was insistent on *not* changing it when she married her current husband. He didn't care way or the other, and he has a last name that wouldn't sound good with her first name anyway, so it was all good.

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:48 am

My husband didn't care either way. He is very nontraditional and unlike his family in so many ways.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:26 am

We were young-ish when we married (23) and I'd always planned to take his name. I still miss my maiden name, mainly because it was my Dad's and it's now going to die out. My brother's 45 with no kids. If I could go back, I think I'd hyphenate. Laura plus my maiden name flowed better but it's really not a big deal.

When we married we both had rings but Tom found out quickly that with his job, wearing his was dangerous, so it's been on his key ring for the last 19 years. :) I always wear mine. I love my rings.

As for husband/wife? We don't go around calling each other "wife" and "husband" but if I'm introducing him, I say "and this is my husband, Tom." When we're together, I usually call him Thomas. I'm the only one. He usually calls me by my name or babe or hon.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:18 am

I'm not a fan of marriage, fine for others, just not for me. I'd never change my surname, I'm proud of my ancestors :) Go convicts!
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 am

Peaches: :lol:

I never mind being called wife, or calling my husband my husband:) I much prefer it to various other Norwegian ways of naming your spouse.

The title thing isn't a problem over here either, because we simply do not use titles. Unless you're a doctor, and even then you would only use it for formal occasions. This is why it's fine with me to be a Mrs when I go abroad. It's just exotic in a way. :)

We don't even use surnames much. At school here you call your teacher by his or her first name, and you certainly would never call you superior at work by his/her last name or anything equivalent to sir/ma'am.
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:59 am

No seriously! My convict rellies! http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010519b.htm

Wow, how weird calling teachers by their first names...I'm not sure I could do that, even now!
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:04 am

Sentenced to death for shoplifting!! :shock: That's a bit harsh...

I only skimmed the text, but I spotted the name Alfred Australia in there. Great name :lol:

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 pm

I missed a bit of this convo but thought I'd pipe in to say that in the province of Quebec, you do not change your name when you get married. In fact, if you want to take your husband's name you have to go through this whole other legal process. It's the same as if you wanted to have your name legally changed for any other reason. This law came into effect about 20 years ago and women who were married before that have all their official documents (eg. driver's licence, social insurance, etc.) with their maiden name.

Personally I think it's really great. I saves confusion and the cost of the name changes with governing bodies, work, and the gazillion other places you have to have your name changed.

As for the Mr. and Mrs. thing, Quebecers have another quirk, maybe because of the whole not-changing-name thing (and maybe because most people don't get married, just common-law). No one uses 'husband' or 'wife' ('homme' and 'femme' in French) - they all use 'boyfriend'/'girlfriend' ('chum'/'blonde'). It was very disconcerting when I first came across this. Here was my recently married friend referring to her hubby as 'chum'. Was she really talking about her husband - or her boyfriend?!? Now, I've taken to saying it too, but only when speaking in French. In English, we're still married. :lol:

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:02 pm

Peaches wrote:Sorry I'm late to the party...but come on...the name Dana...who doesn't instantly think...

"THERE IS NO DANA, ONLY ZUUL!!"

:lol:

Just me? :oops:

Hahahahah CLASSIC! GOD I love Ghostbusters!

I don't think ever in a millions years I could ever relinquish my maiden name. I'm very very attached to it and very proud of it. I've felt this way since I was a little girl. I considered hyphenating my name with mu husband's but it just kind of never happened. With our child's name I'm not really sure what to do. I'm thinking a hyphenated last name. Or maybe giving the child my last name as a middle name. I just don't know. I definitely want it to have it's father's name though.

thestray

Postby thestray » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:31 pm

Went to highschool with a girl named Apple, her dad was a comedian, haha.
One of my kid cousins is named Surprise.
Oh, I knew a dude in highschool named Cherry, one time I remarked to him "That's kind of a fruity name." he just looked at me with an "I'm not amused face" haha, he'd probably heard that a million times.

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38 pm

Nice names :rolleyes: Calling your kid Surprise sounds like a way of putting a positive spin on " not planned" :worry:

I'd love to see his/her mum and dad calling for him/her in public though. Surprise! Suuurpriiiise! SURPRISE! :lol:

thestray

Postby thestray » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Her. And yeah, I'm always joking about how a surprise party would go down when she gets older. "Surprise!" "What? Why are you all yelling at me?"

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:13 pm

It reminds me of Arrested Development with the girl names "Maybe"

Return to “Off topic rambles”