Playin' Hooky

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Playin' Hooky

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 pm

What do you like to do when you have a legal holiday other people don't necessarily have off or just take a vacation day at home? Or if you're a busy parent or student what do you find yourself with a little unplanned time?

Today my husband and I for MLK day had breakfast at a place we always drove past but never went in (it was lovely). We went grocery shopping and no one was around. And we're probably going to grab a burger somewhere at a cheap sit-down place we only hit on weekends when it's nuts. That's part of our rituals. Also, the occasional midday movie or thrift store shopping in peace. The public library is nice to visit as well, especially if they have coffee next door.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Re: Playin' Hooky

Postby SuzyBatt » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Funny you should post this today. I'm probably going to take Thursday and Friday off this week as leftover days I couldn't take in December. Initially I had hoped we three could get out of town to go skiing for a long weekend but those plans fell through (hubby can't take the days off), so I've got two days to myself! :woohoo:

Although my home office seriously needs an overhauling, and part of Friday will also be to get things ready to go skiing (for the weekend only), I seriously want to have a ME day. I'm thinking of having lunch with hubby downtown, near his work, and maybe catching a matinee. I was also thinking of going to a museum I haven't been to yet. Still trying to think of other options so would love to hear other suggestions.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:03 pm

I slept in. :D It's a lazy day here, me still in my nightgown....wrote some bills but since there's no mail delivery today will drop them tomorrow am. Jake's reading...Tom had to go to work as usual. No day off for MLK if you don't work in govmt.
I'll do dishes and laundry and figure something out for dinner...maybe watch a movie. :) Oh, and get on that cursed stationary bike in the basement....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:11 pm

I tend to have a lazy day. Everyone else goes out so we stay home. Roads are chaos, everywhere is packed so we take it easy and stay close to home.

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:40 am

So do I Sherry, or I go to my sisters, she lives near the beach and I'll hang out with her watching dvds and playing with their dog :)
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:09 am

When I have days off, I either like to cram in as many leisure activities as I can in one day or I like doing absolutely nothing. On lazy days, I stay home. I sleep in. I'll probably sit in front of the computer for most of the day. I might take another nap later. It's not very productive but it's comforting and relaxing. On full days, I leave the house early and I might see a movie or go to a museum or some sort of show. I'll sit down and have lunch somewhere and do some shopping. I do a lot of walking in the city and before I realize it, the day is gone.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:50 am

Vmh, your 'full day' sounds a lot like what I have planned. I could easily stay home and do nothing but I spend so much time stuck at work or in the house doing house work. If I stay home I'll likely just sit here all day (i.e. in front of the computer) which will end up looking a lot like a day at work.

I've been living in the 'burbs for a couple of years, and now work here too. I miss my city! And everytime I go I think to myself, "Dang there are such good looking people here!" (Not so in the burbs, I'm afraid)

But oh, to have a sister who lives by the beach... *sigh*

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:31 am

Oh don't misinterpret that, I don't actually GO to the beach! God no!

I do enjoy an 80's DVD fest though, particularly if it's raining and cold outside and I have the day off :)
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”