Old family pics

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: I Turn My Camera On

Postby SheWolf » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 pm

biscuit wrote:(He looks a bit like Jason Segel in that photo...)
Holy crud, he kind of does.
biscuit wrote: Love your mum's hair! (When I had a baby my hair NEVER looked like that :lol: )
:lol: It was a wig that came with a headband. She claims all the cool chicks of the era wore wigs. Look at this, the poof isn't even the same color as her natural hair in the front. Oh well.

I was trying to find a pic of my dad when he really rocked the sideburns. this is the best I could come up with at the moment. I always liked the way they felt so I think that's why I'm nuzzling him like that. ( I've never seen my dad in a sweater, that's so not him, must have been a Christmas present someone insisted he wear)

90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks. :)

biscuit wrote:And how cute were baby SW? :love: Love your mum's hair! (When I had a baby my hair NEVER looked like that :lol: )

Baby SW is adorable! :heart: And my hair never looked like that when I had a baby either, lol. In fact I cut my hair really short after each baby was born because I got tired of A) never having time to wash it, let alone do it up in a bouffant with a pretty daisy headband and B) sticky little baby fingers grabbing fistfuls of it and trying to yank it out of my head, lol.

edit - SW I just saw your last post. LOL at the wig + headband! And I LOVE your dad's sideburns! :thumb: They remind me of someone.... hmmmmmmmmm...... :lol: ;)

Also I love your new avatar. Very ahh-ty.
Last edited by mockingbird on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:03 pm

A wig? Well, that's clever, even if it does look better in b/w :lol: Nice sidies on your dad too 8)

And you're looking cute as a button:) Very 70s :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 pm

Loving these family pics!

biscuit, I think I forgot to mention how much I could see you in the faces of your Grampa and Uncle! It's kind of uncanny...to my eyes at least.

mock, I def see you in your gorgeous Gramma. Very cool. (Was the cig-sneak before or after the vows, lol?)

SW, adorable. You have some good looking parents. Digging your mom's wigs/wiglets...I can also attest to the fact that they were indeed big in the late 60's and 70's, as my Mom and Aunts wore loads of em....even those flappy, weird bathing cap-things with flaps all over them. Yuk.

Anyway, you've inspired me as well. Here are a few of unknown family members....these pics were from my paternal Gramma who died almost 2 yrs ago. She put no names or dates on any of her pics. Ugh. :( The dead baby? No idea....even she could no longer remember when we went through them a few yrs back. "She belonged to some of my people...." (Gramma was from Georgia.) :)

She looks pretty mean...

Back then, taking photos of your loved ones in their caskets was normal....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Here's my paternal Grampa, Chester: Quite young but no idea really how old....14? So this was approx 1935....

Him and a buddy, in the Army:

Uh....Grampa and a little person? I don't like how he's holding his wrist.....my Grampa was not a nice man. I've always wondered about this pic.....but only saw it after he was already dead.

My Dad around 5 or so? Charles.

My Gramma (Helen) with my Dad...again, no idea what year.

Just to break up the monotony...here's one I found in her pics last year. Can you see it? I don't know if someone was handing out prank photos in the 60's or so, but...??? It's interesting. :)
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Mom and Dad (Judy and Buck) with Grampa...their houses on Porter St. in Detroit. Both sets of my Grandparents lived next door to each other, that's how Mom and dad met. :heart:

Mom and her twin, my aunt Joyce: (Mom's on the right)

Me and my bro, Jeff. (Hey kids! Wanna play with some electrical cords? Plenty for you....)

ImageImage

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:22 pm

Wow, I don't know where to begin commenting yout photos, Laura! :D So many great historical documents :cheer:

That old mean looking lady sort of have the same eyes as your paternal Grandpa. Maybe mother, aunt or grandmother? Your paternal Grandpa may not have been a nice guy, but that photo of him on his bike is awesome!! :D And your Dad; adorable! Marrying the girl next door?! :lol: Very sweet:) Your Mum was a real looker too, and you look just like her :D

Family resemblance down through the generations is interesting. A single Sicilian in a Norwegian family makes it easier to trace because of the dark colours :lol: My Dad looks Italian, so do my brothers, and to a degree I:) My two first children were blond and blue/green eyed , and I figured the Sicilian genes were all used, but then Ben came along looking very Mediterranean :D Obviously everyone is a mix of all the people who went before us, and I have often thought that I should like to make a family tree made up of b/w photos to see who looks more, or less, like who. :nod:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:54 pm

I think you may be right, biscuit. Their eyes are very much alike....I have seen pics of his mother and that's not her. Based on the clothing and age of the pic, I'd guess his maternal Gramma. I'll have to find a pic of his Mom...her name was Julie and though my Gramma was so sweet, she hated her mil, lol! Julie spoiled my Grampa something fierce and hated that he married Gramma. They left my Dad with his parents for the first 4 yrs or so of his life while they went north to work. They visited but Gramma hated being away from him and probably just the fact that he was there with Julie. I guess Great-Gramma Julie snatched Gramma by her hair one time while she was holding my Dad in her arms. It was the only time her husband, Barney, ever stood up for my Gramma to her. She sounded like a total bitch-on-wheels!
Quite the soap operas, no matter what generation!

It is really neat to see family resemblance through the generations....my cousin has worked quite hard on Ancestry.com...I should see what pics are on there. :hrm:
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:01 am

You guys have created a monster....

here's another of my dad, very young....

Here's Gramma (Helen, dad's Mom) approx 13-14...

20's or early 30's?

and when she was about 78 or so:
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:24 am

That's so cute! :heart: And kudos for posting a pic taken during this century. :thumb: :lol:

Laura those are really great photos. I love your Grandpa Chester on the bike! The dead baby one is so weird. I know (and you probably do too) it used to be common to take death photos, especially in Victorian times... they had a special name for it that escapes me now. And even now lots of people take photos of stillborn babies. :( I think it's so sad that nobody knows who that baby is anymore.

One time I was looking for images on the internet and I came across this website that was entirely dedicated to death photos. It was one of the creepiest and most disturbing sites I've ever been to. Photos of dead people freak me out. It's so weird to me that even in the static image of a photo you can still tell who is dead and who is alive.

Anyway! On a much lighter note, it occured to me that I might actually have the cameras those pics of my relatives were taken with, lol. I should have taken much more artistic shots of them because they are interesting objects but, I didn't. ;) I love old stuff.

This might be the camera that pic of my grandmother and her grandmother was taken with. It's the oldest of the bunch. It's basically a glorified shoebox with a hole in the front, lol.

The inside. I love how there's nothing in there.

ImageImageImage

The front, the side, and the back. That tiny silver lever on the side under that window is the shutter release.

This is stamped on the inside.
Last edited by mockingbird on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:35 am

Does it look like a train to you? It does to me. This camera is really cool because it folds up flat, then you open up one side of it and pull out this cool accordion thing. :thumb: Like so:

ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:43 am

This camera is the most recent, probably around 1950. It has a top that flips up like this:

ImageImage

...And you look down into the top of it, and you see whatever is in front of you, like a reverse periscope, lol. So in the photo below, I am standing looking down, and my son (whose image is on the camera "screen") is in front of me, out of the photo. Weird, huh?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:08 am

Very cool, mock. Pretty amazing what they used to get pretty darn good pics way back when. They sure lasted longer than anything I've printed on photo paper ever will!

Oooooo, that Kodak is worth some coin! My Mom sold a few old Kodaks at the Estate Sale after Gramma died...

I've looked at many of those death pics...sad.
ImageImage

biscuit

Re: Old family pics

Postby biscuit » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks to the admin for making this a thread of it's own :thanks:

Keep the photos coming Laura :wink: I wish I had loads of old photos, but the sad truth is my Dad threw out almost all the old photos we had when they moved out of my childhood home :( I feel sick now just thinking about all the treasures lost...

Mock: Those cameras are worth a lot of money, and it's so cool that you are keeping them at your house. Are they on display or hidden away?

(Also it is pretty cool that they were made in Rochester, NY, which is where my Italian relatives emigrated to from Sicily :D I didn't even know that Kodak was an American brand :worry: )

Emafer

Re: Old family pics

Postby Emafer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:59 pm

LOVING the pics you guys. I don't have any really old ones. Those are are my parent's house. However, I am quite fortunate enough to know who all of the people in the pictures are as far back as we have pictures. My great grandmother on my mother's side is still living. She's 95 and amazing. And my great grandfather only passed in the last 10 years. My aunts were very diligent about having them go through old family photos and point out who everyone was. Then my aunt scanned them all onto the computer. I'm quite blessed to have aunts that feel those things are important.

On my father's side my aunt did the best that she could, however, a lot pf pictures were lost over the years in moves and things like that. But because my father's family were in congress etc. there are a few really good pics of them

He's an oldy that my aunt sent me recently. This is paternal great grandfather,T. W., when he saw on the Nebraska State Legislature 1916:
Interestingly enough, my brother kind of looks like him.

Return to “Off topic rambles”