Old family pics

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: Old family pics

Postby SheWolf » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:26 pm

This is all very cool stuff. I don't know where to begin with commenting so I'll just throw some stuff out there.
I agree with Laura that I can see a strong resemblance between the kids in the first pic and biscuit. And I see a resemblance between Laura & her mother and between Charles and Laura's son Jake. All of this is very cool to me because, with the exception of having reddish hair like my dad, I don't look remotely like anyone in my family. My grandmother thinks I take after my grandfather's mother Agnes who came from Ireland. I've only seen one photo of her when she was older and I look nothing like her. My grandma was probably just referring to the red hair connection coz everyone on their side of the family has dark brown hair and brown eyes except Agnes and me.

Very cool camera mock.

Do you guys have baby pics of yourselves? I love to see baby pics of people I know.
90% evil
ImageImage

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:28 pm

I've quite a few old pics.
Last edited by kipples on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:32 am

I agree SW- I always tell Jacob how much he looked like my Dad when he was little. :)

Kipples! So cute! You and your Mom look so alike!

And the one with your Gramma? Man.....the photographer must've said "No one better smile, now....." :lol: Except for the girl on the far right, top...love her smirk! (I know it's impossible but she kind of reminds me of mock.....) :P

Now I've been sitting here going through pics for the last 2 hours.....whittling down what I'd scan. Only the scanner's acting oogy again, so I can't do it tonight. Grrrrrr.

I did take 2 pics of other pics, lol.

This first one is of my paternal Gramma's parents: it's in a frame with a convex piece of glass, so it's hard to get rid of the glare...plus the crack doesn't help either.....no idea of the year. This also has some drawing/painting done here and there...like on her leg and shoes. Weird.

This one is an Heirloom painting done I guess when my Grampa was honorably discharged from the Army. I don't know if he sat for this or if they did it from another photo. I'd always seen it on the wall and assumed it was an actual phot but when Gramma died, Grampa's niece, Barbara, asked if she could have it. I told her no, that Gramma wanted my brother to have it...BUT, I would take the pic out and have copies made at Kinko's. They came out really nice, and then Jeff said to just give him the copy in the frame...she could have the original. So everyone was happy.

A close up...didn't come out too well....
(His name was Robert Chester Pierce, but he went by Chester.)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:54 am

SW- Except for my brother's red hair and coloring he never looked like anybody on either side of our family. He's 27 now and last year mom mom found an old picture of her dad. My grandpa was about 22 at the time and holding my mom as a baby. It was the SPITTING IMAGE of my brother. Just exactly the same face it was soooo weird. My grandfather was and athlete and broke his noses several times. This was taken before a couple of his nose breaks which could be why nobody ever noticed the resemblance earlier. My mom scanned and e-mailed the photo to my brother. My sister in law looked at my brother and very accusingly said, "WHO is that baby you are holding?!" hahahahahaha My brother started laughing and said, "It's not ME I swear! I would NEVER pull my pants up that high!" hahahahhahaha

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:36 am

SheWolf wrote:Do you guys have baby pics of yourselves? I love to see baby pics of people I know.

I'm the motherflippin' Flooooowmingo. (Someone assign me a better rapping name please!)

I don't mean to be such a name dropper but I was totally sitting next to the White Rabbit. Pooh Bear invited me to the Hundred Acre Woods and Alice shared her magic mushrooms with me.

I don't think I've ever seen any family photos earlier than the 1960's.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:01 am

And a few of my dad when he was a teenager. He turned 50 today.

James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:35 am

vmh - I LOVE your groovy dad! :supz: Rock on, Mr. H! (I suddenly feel like the Fonz, lol.)

Laura - it's the smirk. ;)

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:55 am

Hey kipples - I partially repaired your photo. Hope you don't mind. I needed some mental down time tonight and doing stuff like this is very relaxing to me. Plus that rip across your cute lil' face just had to go. :nod:

Biscuit - I forgot to say - I used to have the cameras out, but these days they live in the closet. :| I just don't have anywhere to display them. I have a couple other cameras, but they aren't very ineresting - a Land movie camera and another Brownie, a little box thing from the 50s. It's cute though. :eyelashes:

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:56 am

vmh, kipples, SW you were all adorable little girls! I wish I had some of our old family photos but they're all with my parents in Florida. I suppose I will inherit them someday.

I think this is the only picture of young me that I have in my possession. I was about 4 and I remember that was my favorite dress. I loved purple and still do.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:47 am

Here is one of my family on my fourth birthday. This would have been 1983.
Notice only three candles? I'm pretty sure that I already picked one out and licked the frosting off.

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Cute kiddie pics, everyone :D

Laura: That heirloom painting looks very much like a hand coloured b/w photo! Is it really a painting?

My Dad keeps saying he'll get the old photos down from the attic, but he never does, so when he was taking a nap yesterday me and Mum raided the attic ourselves :lol: There were tons of boxes up there and we only got two so it was all a bit hit and miss, but I did find a few of me as a kid :D

Me and my two younger brothers:) I kind of look like a gypsy but I remember loving that dress :lol: I think I'm about 7 here.

Me and Mum. Mum says I'm 5 here.

Me at 12 maybe, with my friends. The girl in the middle is still my best friend :D

And a few more old ones:

My paternal Grandfather and my great uncle, anno 1910-1911. The photo was probably taken in the US while visiting relatives, or maybe in Canada where they were living at the time. I love the clothes they're wearing!

My paternal Grandfather and Grandmother on their wedding day in 1942 or 1943. My Grandmother's parents on the left and Grandfather's Mum on the left.

My Dad (15 ) eating an ice cream outside the corner shop. I'll have to dig out a photo of my brother at the same age because he was the spitting image of Dad.
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:24 pm

:supz: I love this stuff. You are all such cute little girlies. Luv little vmh smiling at Pooh Bear. Biscuit, you've hardly changed. I love the red shoes your bro with the red tie is wearing.

I call this one Big Ginger Head Looking Great. :lol: My head was so freaking enormous and my huge, bendy ears are still a source of displeasure but I've grown into them...kind of. :roll:
90% evil
ImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Aww, cute :)

Kipples: Forgot to say you kind of look a bit like my niece. Weird, but very cute :lol:

SW: Yeah, I know I still look like me:) Nic just looked at that first pic and said that me and his uncle with the cool shoes still look lke we did back then, while my youngest brother has changed. (He had blond curls when he was a kid and now his hair is really dark, so that is probably why...)

On another note: I kept mentioning to my Mum yesterday, when we were looking through all the old photos, that both my Dad and my brothers, especially Mr Cool Shoes (we call him Bob), look more like my great uncle than my Grandfather. She said she thought so too and she had always wondered about that :worry: It makes you wonder.... :hrm:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Mock: Thanks a million! It's a thousand times better :clap: . There are copies without the rip but that's the one I have.
vmh: I LOVE your pictures :thumb:. The lighting in the one with Winnie and Alice is lovely. Your dad is so super cool :red: . I swear I had a TV just like that as a kid with the two dials.
Biscuit: I love that dress on you
LauraK: It's quite off putting that none of them are smiling isn't it. My theory is that they probably all had horrible teeth back then :|

I'm trying to put up more pics but for some reason there only coming out sideways. It's driving me mad :###: Can anyone help?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:19 am

VMH- aw! Loved your pics....have to agree- love the one of you gazing at Pooh. Great lighting on you. And yep, your dad was a hottie!

Red! You're blonde! :lol: What a beauty....I'd have killed for that hair. :)

Em, that is so cute!! I love that your little bro is practice-blowing out the candles with you! :)

biscuit- you and your closest brother look like twins in that first pic. You at 12....I think we all used to wear shorts just like that and believe it or not...Tom has a pair in the drawer right now that are exactly the same! Red w/ the orange stripes! :lol: :thumb:

Those clothes had to have been handmade, right? Pretty cool....I wish the wedding pic was in color. 8) Is he holding a handkerchief or gloves?

The pic of Grampa was definitely painted because when I removed it from the frame, I was amazed to find it so. I'd expected a photograph, but it was on painting board- or whatever you call it- and you can see the little square texture it has... The little gold-plaque thingy was placed in there with it. That's made of thin metal.

SW, look how cute! Not only do you and Jemaine share head-size traits but you appear to be raising your right eyebrow there. :D You were feeling great in that pic, too!
And I totally remember that teether!! It's a giant plastic diaper pin, right? With a face.....weird....:lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Off topic rambles”