TV SHOWS YOU CAN"T STAND

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

TV SHOWS YOU CAN"T STAND

Postby Carol » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:02 pm

This is a bit of a negative topic, I suppose. But since we have one for good shows, why not have one where we list shows (past and present) that we just can't stomach?

Mine right now is Psyche. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. But I just couldn't. The writing was too cutesy-poo for me and the two main characters seemed to overact to the max.

I'm wondering if USA didn't sandwich it in on Wednesdays hoping that White Collar and Burn Notice could somehow make the ten o'clock hour a go. Didn't work. At least, for me.
I do like WC and BN a lot though.

I see that In Plain Sight will be airing at ten on Wednesdays. I'm hoping Psyche got the axe.
Just sayin'.

PS-If there is another thread of this sort, please feel free to move this to it. And my apologies for mis-threading!)

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: TV SHOWS YOU CAN"T STAND

Postby kipples » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Fair City is Irelands "soap opera" and, without doubt, some of the most consistantly bad acting I have ever seen. It's been on for over 15 years and I'm amazed that so many actors over such a long time can keep giving such terrible performances.

I hate it but sometimes watch for the sole reason of laughing at the dialogue and eye rolling that's meant to signify anger.

Here's a little taste:

I've seen Psyche a few times and thought it was quite funny. In fairness I've only watched for 10 minutes at a time.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:44 am

I'm also not a fan of Psyche. But my sister ADORES it so it's all over the DVR. But she's at college so I've deleted it on a fair few occasions ;)

As for other shows - I really dislike NCIS. I just find the acting to be sub-par. Same thing with reality TV like Survivor, Amazing Race, all the reality shows on VH1 and MTV (except True Life - I do like that show)...

eejm

Postby eejm » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:36 am

I'm not big on reality TV either. I also don't see what's special about Grey's Anatomy. On the few occasions I've watched it, I feel like I saw the same storyline years ago on ER or before that, St. Elsewhere.

Carol

Postby Carol » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:29 am

I agree about Gray's Anatomy. I gave it up after season one!

I will admit though, that I do like a lot of the reality shows. Project Runway and Shear Genius to name but two.

I, also, can't stand House. I got sick of it quick into the first season. It was the same thing week in and week out. He was an ass who treated people like dirt, but miraculously saved the patient. Bo-ring!

I was surprised that Dule Hill would go from a good show like West Wing and play a doofus on Psyche. The repeated astonished looks of disgust from him were so irritating. And the other guy--he was supposed to be witty, I suppose. So not!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:00 pm

2 and 1/2 Men. HOW can that show still be on??
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:02 pm

I can't stand reality shows, they have nothing real about them.

Except I caught myself watching an entire episode of 'The Great Race' (or something like that) last week.
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:08 pm

I like a lot of reality when it applies to artistic endeavors, not so much for emotional trainwrecks.

I hated The Girls Next Door. I don't like Gray's, and all the forensic dramas make me laugh really hard because the real stuff is so more exciting and astonishing.

Hrm. I used to love Survivor until the season where Mark Burnett tried to start a race war. That failed. And now there are too many "all star shows". It's getting like RoadRulesRealWorldBadGirlsFlavaFlav...

I don't watch much on network TV except for the Big Bang Theory. Cable is weirder, and therefore more interesting to me.

ETA: Ah, Ryche, it's the Amazing Race. I watched that for a long time. It's the reality show for people who don't like 'em. 'Cause it's more like a sporting competition.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:26 pm

I like reality shows like Project Runway, anything with models or drag queens :lol: Survivor and Big Brother. I'm fully aware that a significant portion of these shows aren't "real" but that doesn't stop me being mindlessly entertained by them.

Aside from Parks & Rec, 30 Rock and Modern Family I don't watch sitcoms and I've never enjoyed most primetime programming like Law & Order and that ilk. I go through periods of watching Dateline, 48 Hrs Mystery and 20/20 type things until I burn out. I'm also a sucker for Forensic Files. Oh but this was about stuff we dislike - well, sorry but ATM Dexter is really testing my resolve. I've only got one episode left in S4 & apparently I have a very different opinion of this season than the majority.
90% evil
ImageImage

eejm

Postby eejm » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 pm

LauraK wrote:2 and 1/2 Men. HOW can that show still be on??

Oh, no kidding. That show is just so irritating.

I know Battlestar Galactica had a huge fanbase, but I just found that show so hokey and melodramatic it totally turned me off.

I've never gotten the American Idol appeal either. It always seemed like a warmed over version of Star Search, only without comedians, dancers, and Ed McMahon.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Oh Sw....you just have to go against the grain, don't you? ;)

I'll be interested to hear why you aren't diggin S4.... :)

When I first heard about The Girls Next Door I thougth "OMG....how stupid!" then I saw an ep.....and got hooked. :lol: It was mindless entertainment and a little bit of horror too whenever Hef came around and they had to show some affection toward him. Uck...so creepy. :?

I know I'm in the minority but Kendra has always been my favorite, she never made any bones about herself, never pretended to be anything but herself, and she makes me laugh. It may be idealistic but I hope she and Hank make it last.

I also can't stand that show on Sci Fi that's so huge...Stargate Sgwhatever.....Tom likes it. I leave the room and go online. :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:21 pm

I abhor any show that's about some c or d list celebrity finding "love", or any dating show really...

I like Project Runway. Im not sure who my favorite is yet this season, but I love watching what they all come up with and then scramble around, scared they cant get it done. :lol:

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 pm

Anything reality. If I wanted reality I wouldn't be watching tv.

Two and a Half men... yeah...I'm with you guys there.

30 rock has started to annoy the crap out of me. Get rid of Jenna and I might forgive you, 30 rock, until then we have parted ways. Add desperate housewives to that list too. I liked it at first. But, it seems too contrived and formulaic now. Actually, I could probably put most of network shows on this list. I like Big Bang theory, Ugly Betty and Cougar town, other than that it's cable shows for me. :D I have to sort of relate to something to like it. That's hard to find.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:01 pm

haha, Jenna is pretty out there but it works for me. Oddly enough Liz Lemon is the weak link on that show for me. I've gotta say this week's episode had me roaring and that hasn't happened in some time.

deliriumtree wrote:Anything reality. If I wanted reality I wouldn't be watching tv.
Really? Does your real life include being stranded on a deserted island, being sequestered in a house, traveling the world at high speed etc etc? If so, I wanna party with you cowboy. :P
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:24 pm

kipples wrote: It's been on for over 15 years and I'm amazed that so many actors over such a long time can keep giving such terrible performances.
Haha. Perhaps the problem is in the way they are directed then?
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”