TN Flooding

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

TN Flooding

Postby Carol » Thu May 06, 2010 6:33 pm

As you may or may not know, Middle Tennessee was hit hard by flooding this last weekend. Many areas of the Mid-State were underwater. The Opryland Hotel's first floor was completely underwater, many of our downtown "hot spots" have flooded basements and many, many have lost their homes. There have been 28 deaths as a results of these floods.
I say all this, just to ask you to remember us down here.

As for myself, I am fine. Just some driveway erosion, which I've since tried to fix.

"My" store, however, has to be gutted. Could be 3-6 months to be up and running again. It's sad that everything was lost in there, but is a wee bit exciting to be able to make it fresh and new again. In the meantime, we will be diverted to other stores in the area.

Ya just never know what Mother Nature has in store for you!

kellysouthpaw

Re: TN Flooding

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu May 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Yikes! As a fellow Target employee I feel somehow like this is happening to me as well! Or like this could have very well happened to my store. Not that I'd be opposed to getting 3-6 months of being off work (the nearest store is 90 miles away, so there's no way we'd be diverted to other stores).

:hug: Definitely thinking of you!

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Thu May 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Oh no! I had no idea. :( (I don't have TV, so it's like I live under a rock.) That's horrible. I'll be keeping TN in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad you're ok!

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Thu May 06, 2010 6:54 pm

There has been such a surprise regarding you flooding river. How long has it been since it saw this much water flow? I bet years and years.
:shock:
You are in my thoughts and prayers, all of TN needs attention right now, and aid!!
Why do we bend over backwards for other countries that have emergencies and let our own struggle??? :roll:

Glad you have a job still, and you are right to think about the positive, getting the store fresh and new! great attitude Carol! :clap:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu May 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Glad you're ok, Carol. That was surprising and shocking. We have flooding nearby, and it takes a while to mobilize, even in the best of times. It's pretty rare you get any notice so you can sandbag.

Is there any links to contribute to flood relief.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Carol

Postby Carol » Thu May 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Thank you all so much!

Kelly, I knew you'd feel a bond due to Target. But I've already been off work for six months, so I was eager to go back to it....and now this --just a few weeks after my return!

We have NEVER had anything like this. We had minor flooding in '83 and another in '75, but I was living in East Tennessee for the latter of those.

It's bizarre.No storms to speak of just steady, steady rain for over 48 hours. People were kayaking in our parking lot and around neighborhoods! Even big bass boats! Unreal!

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers for our area. You guys are the best! :heart:

I will check on links, but you must know this about me (if you didn't already), I am pretty computer illiterate. Thank you for asking.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu May 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Carol, lol! I'll look it up myself.

I know - we had a situation in '98 I think where we had two days of steady rain, the storm drains overflowed and people were kayaking down Lyndale Avenue (a very busy main street)! No warning at all.

I am bike-cheese!

Carol

Postby Carol » Thu May 06, 2010 7:18 pm

It's really bizarre, isn't it? I never in a million years thought I'd see bass boats and ski-doos (?) traveling down the streets!

Glad you can look them up-and I so appreciate the fact that you want to! I hate that all I can do on a computer is type!!!

Signing off for now. Please know how much I appreciate you all-----even when I am away.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 06, 2010 8:48 pm

{{{{{Carol}}}}} Glad you're ok and your house is dry.

I had on WeatherChannel all day Sunday as they covered and updated the flooding and- unfortunately- deaths in TN. :(

I just saw on my Home page that Kenny Chesney's house will probably have to be condemned....Keith Urban lost all of his road equipment, including his guitars and amps. Read about it here.... http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ourcou ... by-floods/
There are other country stars who're in the same mess as everyone in TN. They have the money to replace their things.....I hope everyone hit hard has good flood insurance and if not? I hope there are lots of donations to help everyone in need.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Carol

Postby Carol » Fri May 07, 2010 2:09 am

Most people did not have flood insurance as the areas of town they lived in were not designated flood plains.

There is currently a telethon being held by one of our local news stations. The phone number is 877 345-1522. It will continue until 10 p.m. CST if anyone is so inclined. You will be able to designate where your money goes. i.e. The Red Cross.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri May 07, 2010 5:36 am

Oh Carol, I didn't know you were out there. I heard first about West TN and N. MS since that's where my peeps are. Then I heard about Nashville / Middle TN area. I have good friend's in Lynchburg and they did ok but I heard it was super gnarley. My thoughts and prayers have been going out to y'all.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 pm

You can also text to make a $10 donation:

http://newsroom.redcross.org/2010/05/03 ... -to-90999/
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri May 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Carol, I'm so glad you're okay!

But oh my god! My thoughts go out to the people who are affected by the flood. Like Rani, I don't have a TV so I get all my news online. I actually found out about it here first.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Carol

Postby Carol » Sat May 08, 2010 3:25 am

Much, much appreciation to you all! :)

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun May 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Moved because it's not private and more people need to know about it!

I also put up some links in "yes I am affiliated with" for the TN flood, and also the Gulf clean-up.

I am bike-cheese!

Return to “Off topic rambles”