I Believe I Saw a Ghost Last Night

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

I Believe I Saw a Ghost Last Night

Postby LauraK » Wed May 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Last night I'd fallen asleep in my recliner and Tom on the couch, as is often the case. :) He usually successfully wakes me up and we go to bed but sometimes I'm just dead to the world.

So, last night I woke up around 4:30 am to find that the tv was off and lights were out. As I started to sit up, I saw the figure of a man to the left of the tv near the dining room table. He seemed to be holding something in front of him with both hands. It was rectangular and I could see its profile as he turned towards me and then away as if to head towards the stairs...but he kept turning back and forth like he wasn't sure which way to go. It was like seeing a perfectly formed shadow....very dark and while I thought for a second it might be Tom, I knew that it wasn't. And then he just disappeared. I reached over to turn on the light but kept staring at the same spot and hoping I'd hear Tom on the stairs....but I didn't. So I turned on the light and there was no one there. :?

I know I didn't dream it. I didn't get any type of malevolent feeling from it....it was just there. We'd had a few issues with there being a presence in this house after we'd first moved in but we took care of it. Nothing much since.

I do believe in ghosts...I know many don't. :) Just thought I'd share and see if anyone else had had any ghostly or strange experiences.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: I Believe I Saw a Ghost Last Night

Postby SheWolf » Wed May 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Seeing as I don't believe in ghosts I'd say it was a dream. I've had that - I felt completely awake, my eyes were open but the dream was still playing out in my eyes superimposed over the real stuff I was looking at. It was like my experience with LSD only cooler because it's a natural hallucination. LOL.
90% evil
ImageImage

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 pm

I totally believe in some sort of ghostly visions. I also had an experience with this. I was pet sitting for a friend, and I went over there along with my little neighbor buddy (9 yr old Justin) because we were gonna walk my friends dog and he loves to be my helper. Anne keeps the bedroom doors closed when she goes away because the dog always pees on her carpets in either her room or her boys room, and of course for privacy.

At this point, I am in the kitchen (I was getting food together for the cat). I see a shadow, just a fleeting movement in the corner of my vision, a movement right passed me by about 3 feet, and to my surprise, apparently does the dog and cat they see to be watching something go into the livingroom and proceeded to follow it, I got a quick chill so I put down the can food and walked into the living room right off the kitchen, Justin was in living room on the couch and I was being protective, (sounds weird I know it was just a feeling).

I go into the living room and both animals are staring at the hallway toward the closed bedroom door.
I look over at Justin and he is staring too, and says "wow, did you see that kid"? And he said it was creepy to him to see a ghost and he wanted to tell his brother Chris about it. He even described what he (ghost, kid whatever) was wearing, black or dark pants and a white t-shirt. Further he said the kid looked around 10 or so years old, short brown hair. And the boy turned to Justin smiled and went right through the bedroom door.

True, and it was only about 3 months ago. had it been just me, I would have thought I was dreaming or just over tired, but the pets and Justin verified that we all saw something.

I asked Anne about if her seeing anything and she said that the lights are on sometimes when she comes home, once the gas stove flames on burner were turned on in her kitchen a while back (year or so ago) that was unsettling, but never repeated, and the ceiling fan is sometimes on, or just shuts off. Nothing scary and the animals seem fine so she never worries about it. She said her son, 4 year old has said he saw a friend before, but hasn't mentioned him lately. But she does not really believe so she fluffs it off.

Aimee
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Aimee » Wed May 26, 2010 8:09 pm

It seems like you both experienced a visit from some kind of entity. It's something I think you just know and when you do, it doesn't matter if anyone else believes you. So very interesting!

I have never seen an actual ghost but had many strange experiences when I lived at home with my parents. My uncle died of cancer and right before he died he came to visit us. While there he fell very ill and had to be admitted to the hospital. He barely made it home. After he died the lamp in the room he stayed in while with us started turning on by itself--it was one of those "touch" lamps that had to be touched to turn on. Another time that really freaked both me and my dad out was once when a hallway night light that hadn't worked in months suddenly turned on by itself one night. And this was one of those with the switch that had to be manually pushed down on one side to turn off or on. When that happened both my father and I went to investigate and when we realized no one had turned on the light we just looked at each other like :que: Lots of wierd stuff happened in that house like objects falling when they were nowhere near the edge of anything, while we watched...Kind of freaky...

Laura did you tell Tom what you saw? What did he say?

Great thread topic! I love this kind of stuff!

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Wed May 26, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm getting goosebumps reading this, but I like it :worry:

I don't have a problem believing there are more things between heaven and earth than we can explain. That does not mean that things that seem unexplicable today will always remain so. I mean people used to blame gods for thunder, right. Also the human mind is hardwired to recognise patterns. I bet you have all seen ghost pictures where you can clearly see faces and then it turns out it's a trick of the light. Once I saw George Washington in my bedroom in the middle of the night. I freaked right out, and then I realised I was looking at a crumpled up shirt in the light from the door :lol:

On the other hand I have experienced things that can't be explained. In the house I grew up it just felt.... I don't know how to descibe it...busy! There was a sort of energy there. I was used to it and had never seen or heard anything peculiar until a time when I was around 10. I was in my grandmothers part of the house (we shared a semi detached house) to borrow a salt shaker. She was out but her door was always open. The kitchen and living area was on the ground floor and the bedrooms were all upstairs. As I was looking around downstairs for the salt I suddenly heard some heavy footsteps upstairs. The heavy steps moved towards the stairs and I went into the hall to hear better. As they reached the stairs they started decending. I froze with fear. The stairs were situated in a way that would obscure my view of the owner of the footsteps until the last bend. Straight before "it" reached the final turn I freaked out big time and ran screaming to my Mum :lol:

I always believed it was my grandfather I heard. He died from a heart condition and he spent weeks upstairs on leave from hospital before he died. He would walk with these slow and heavy steps across the floor.

My husband claims to not believe in ghosts but when I talked about the 'busy' feel in the old house he agreed at once. We lived there for two years before buying our current home. He said he hated being in the basement because he could feel someone looking at him :? We all felt it :P

Our new house is very calm and I love it!
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed May 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Even though I don't believe in them I think there used to be a ghost in my mother's house. We called him Johnny Johnson. He even showed up in a photo once as a white blob.
90% evil
ImageImage

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Wed May 26, 2010 11:01 pm

biscuit wrote:I don't have a problem believing there are more things between heaven and earth than we can explain
I'm with you Biscuit :nod:
SheWolf wrote:I'd say it was a dream. I've had that - I felt completely awake, my eyes were open but the dream was still playing out in my eyes superimposed over the real stuff I was looking at
I've had that once too, just after I'd woken up. Well, my eyes were open at least, but part of my brain must've been still asleep because the awake part was just awake enough to know I was still dreaming! :lol:

I've not had any experiences with ghosts as such, at least not seeing someone/something I hadn't previously known. I think that would be pretty scary, though exciting too! I'm keeping an open mind on whether or not they exist until its proven for sure one way or the other. I'd certainly like to believe they do, and I've known people that have had experiences. (More now!) :D

As for me, there was one time a while back when I was particularly emotionally distressed, on my own in my room, when I 'felt', very strongly, that there was someone standing extremely close behind me. It was a strong male presence, and I could even see out of the periphery of my eye a large strong torso in an old-fashioned button up cardi thing, though the image wasn't really 'solid' like real person would be. I didn't turn to look, partly for fear the image would vanish and partly because I didn't need to - I knew without looking that it was my father, who died in 1984, just standing there offering quiet strength and comfort. I'm tearing up here just thinking about it actually.

It's would be very easy to say that experience stemmed purely from my own wishful thinking and emotional need at that point, and possibly it did, but thing is, it's never happened before or since, and I can't imagine why I would ever conjure my father instead of my mother (also deceased). Anyone who knew our family dynamics would say the same. Yet it WAS dad, I know it was.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 26, 2010 11:33 pm

No, I was fully awake. :) I've had the experience of "waking" in my bed and seeing a corpse walking across the room towards me, lol. This was when I was 19 and had seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I threw the covers over my head and went right back to sleep. :lol: I know that was a dream...it was the same corpse from the camera-flashes at the beginning of the movie.

Tom thinks I saw him going to bed...I agreed as long as he could explain why he says he went to bed at 1:30 and I awoke after 4, and if he could please repeat his feat of vanishing before my eyes. :roll: I was awake and starting to get out of the chair...I was beginning to push the leg part of the recliner down when I saw what I saw.

SW, how can you think there was a ghost in your Mom's house if you don't believe in them? :hrm:

My Aunt and Uncle stayed in an old bed and breakfast once and she awoke in the middle of the night and saw a couple standing at the foot of the bed, staring at her. They were slightly transparent and in very old-style clothing that she couldn't place. She was scared but not that they were going to do anything, just that she knew they were ghosts.

I once had a Ouija board experience that made me throw it in the garbage and swear never to use one again. :what:

You had a visitation, Great H. That's 8) Whatever the family dynamic was, I'm glad you got that from him. :hug:

My Dad visited me in a dream. It was totally different than a regular dream and I just know it was him getting in touch with me. I know it was different as I've kept dream journals since I was about 15 or so.
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed May 26, 2010 11:43 pm

LauraK wrote:No, I was fully awake. :)

That's what your mind wants you to think. :P

LauraK wrote:SW, how can you think there was a ghost in your Mom's house if you don't believe in them? :hrm:

Tis a puzzlement isn't it? :lol: I dunno. There was just no other explanation for that vibe you get that some is near you or has entered a room or walked by when no one did. I'm sure there is a logical explanation for those types of feelings it's just that we aren't privvy to it yet. Oh and the weird noises we attributed to the ghost were coming from squirrels in the walls. :wink:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 26, 2010 11:57 pm

We had that nasty vibe in Jacob's room after we moved here. Luckily, he was young enough that he doesn't remember anything weird. I heard and felt it though, and Tom too.
I could be in Jake's room and suddenly the hair on the back of my neck would prickle and stand up and I'd swear there was someone directly behind me....not a nice person, either. It was like the air pressure changed and I felt a very bad vibe and the urge to run from the room.

We went in there one evening and I said the 23rd Psalm and then we told this presence that whoever he was, he wasn't welcome here. That this was now our house and that he was dead- long dead- and it was time for him to move on. We basically did the "GET OUT" thing with the presence. And with the exception of an episode of a glass of mine that kept moving, that's been it til now.

I was doing bills at the dining room table and had a glass of tea. (This was maybe 2 yrs ago?) Out of the corner of my eye, I saw it move a bit. I looked at it and said "If someone made that move, please do it again." And it moved again immediately. I said "move it again." It did. I waited to see if it would move again...maybe from condensation (which I saw none of at the time) and it didn't. So I started to say it again, and before I could finish the sentence, it moved about an inch. I got up and said "Ok, that's enough. Whoever you are, I want you to leave. This is our house and you don't belong here, yadayada..." and nothing has happened since.
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu May 27, 2010 12:17 am

Haha. Sounds like The Amityville horror. And by the way I know someone who knew the people that lived there and it was SO made up. But that doesn't take away the great horror I recall seeing that film as a kid.

The only time I've had a really bad ju ju vibe was from that statue I told you about that must have murdered me in another life. :nod:
90% evil
ImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu May 27, 2010 12:20 am

That statue story was super freaky, SW. I'd still like to see a pic of the thing...
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 27, 2010 12:27 am

Me too...and I've searched. But the bad thing is, if I think I've found it, I can't show it to her. Or I wouldn't...cuz it scares her. I can totally understand.

Amityville Horror- the book- scared the living CRAP out of me! And I loved it! The worst to me was when the little girl drew the picture of her friend...Jodie the pig. The red eyes staring in the window and the hoof-marks in the snow....brrrrrrr! :D
ImageImage

helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby helgecko » Thu May 27, 2010 2:03 am

I saw our old family dog after she'd passed away when I was younger, which was nice :)

The morning I left at 3am to go be with my dad before he died one of my housemates (woken by me leaving) felt someone in her bed with her, and then felt them climb over her to leave. She wasn't freaked out though, she believes it was her grandfather reassuring her.

I'd like to see or hear some sign of my dad's presence at some stage. I don't need it, because I don't doubt it, but it would be nice I think :)
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 27, 2010 3:15 pm

It would indeed, hel. :hug: I hope you get a visit and/or a wonderful dream.

When my previous dog, Amber, died I started hearing her around the house. I heard her toenails clickong against the dining table legs like they always did. The heat register was under there and she loved to lie near it. I'd hear the sounds of her tags hitting her water bowl in the kitchen (which I'd already taken up) and her nails clicking on the floor.

At the PetLossGriefSupport.com site, someone said they believe beloved pets stay with us as long as we need them, and then they go to the bridge. :) I liked that. I only heard her for a week or two and then never again.
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”