2011 Oscars

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: 2011 Oscars

Postby LauraK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:02 am

To me, Amy Adams' dress was so beautiful and her figure looked so stunning in it that the necklace didn't stop me from going "wow." BUt I agree she probably would have topped lists had she left it off. :)

I do agree with you that Jennifer Hudson looked great- but her pressed boobies were so distracting! :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:16 pm

It's interesting how varied the responses were to some of the dresses with Cate Blanchett's seeming to draw the most love it or hate it responses. Natalie Portman seemed to be the least controversial with most people thinking she looked great. According to E's Fashion Police Natalie was the best with Gwyneth getting a nod from Guiliana Rancic and I think Jennifer Lawrence was up there too.

I thought the most interesting reactions were to Scarlet's dress. I've heard it called bordello wear and also that it looked too matronly. How could it be both? :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:09 pm

I don't know, but the back looked sensational. The front I wasn't so crazy about, and the way it fit made her figure look funny - I can see why they'd call her matronly. She's got a better body than was shown in that dress.

What did you think of her hair? That got a lot of yays and nays.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:17 pm

mockingbird wrote:Sharon Stone's dress isn't even so bad, but the "wall of hair" is a look that deserved to die with the '80s. ;)

She could be one of Alby Grant's wives with that hair. :lol:

I don't think Scarlet's dress was flattering to her figure. It's a beautiful dress though. I still haven't had time to watch the AA's or the Fashion Police and it's killing me, so I'm loving all this chatter.
Image..Image..Image

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Nancy wrote:What did you think of her hair? That got a lot of yays and nays.

I liked her hair, especially since she went with a less conventional dress. I think doing something unusual with her hair and make up would have been real overkill. I saw a picture of the back of the dress today and I do like it more than the front.

I loved Mila Kunis's dress, but I don't think it's a dress everyone could have pulled off. I saw a couple of other dresses that I liked on that particular person, but that that dress would only work on that person. I felt the same way about both of Florence Welch's dresses too.

I missed jewelry this year. I saw Amy Adams in some emeralds (brave, since emeralds are tough to wear) and I liked Natalie Portman's earrings, but I saw very few other women wearing noticeable jewelry. Less can be more, but the complete absence of it was a bummer to me.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:03 pm

I loved her hair and makeup. I think she was one of the few people who looked modern. I thought the dress fit her fine but people were complaining so, upon closer, inspection....nope, I don't see it. Why doesn't it flatter her? Should it have been tighter in the bust and waist? Does she have to look va va voom big chested in everything? Methinks not. :hrmpf:

As for jewelry I'm totally not a girl. I couldn't give a rat's ass about any of it but I did think that Amy Adams' necklace looked really bad.
90% evil
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:12 pm

I liked that Jacki Weaver was wearing conflict-free diamonds. I didn't notice a lot of jewelry either but then again, I'm not a big jewelry person. I wasn't crazy about Amy Adams jewelry. It wasn't necessary and it didn't go with the dress (it was sparkly enough as it is). But I still think she looked great.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Maybe I saw an unflattering photograph, but Scarlet looked like she was slightly thick in the middle and hippy. That's fine but generally you still want your lower half to be smooth not lumpy looking. I blame the dress. I didn't notice her chest. Perhaps she's put on a few pounds and doesn't give a toss whether it shows or not. :dunno: I always loved that about Kate Winslet. I still think it was a lovely dress, just wrong for Scarlet's body. I liked her hair.
Image..Image..Image

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:31 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I loved her hair and makeup. I think she was one of the few people who looked modern. I thought the dress fit her fine but people were complaining so, upon closer, inspection....nope, I don't see it. Why doesn't it flatter her? Should it have been tighter in the bust and waist? Does she have to look va va voom big chested in everything? Methinks not. :hrmpf:

I don't see it either. The dress itself isn't my favorite but I wouldn't say it's unflattering. And I think her hair and makeup was right for it. What was nay about it? If she had gone for a more polished hairstyle or a traditional Oscar updo, I think it would have made the look seem old.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 pm

I thought Scarlett looked good but understated...like she didn't want everyone talking about her breasts as usually happens! :lol: I don't think she should be on any worst-lists, that's for sure. I did see a close-up of her makeup and her eyeshadow really doesn't go with that dress but it's not like she looked bad!

I'll probably be the only one but Natalie Portman's earrings distracted me no end! They looked like small versions of curtain tie-backs! Otherwise, she looked beautiful.

I'm glad Katie Perry didn't wear this to the Oscars....... ;)
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:07 pm

Haha, that was on E's fashion police a few weeks back. It's truly unbelievably bad, even by Katy Perry standards. I don't get it. She's so pretty with such an incredible body but the clothes she wears and that uber fake black hair..... :doh: And don't start me on her husband who I think looks like the white Michael Jackson, I mean, seriously his face scares me. But I kind of liked what he wore to the Oscars.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:40 pm

This was for her perfume release....I guess the dress matched the bottle. Somehow. :lol:

I don't know what to think of Russell Brand....sometimes I like him and then sometimes he skeeves me out. :dunno:
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 am

The complaints about Scarlet's hair had to do with the color and the "just-got-out-of-bed" look. I thought it looked fresh and hip.
I haven't seen pictures of her, I only saw her walk the red carpet, and I have to say her middle looked thick and the dress made her look dowdy, but when she turned around, va-va-voom! Thickness gone!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”