2011 Oscars

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: 2011 Oscars

Postby LauraK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:40 pm

*whispers* i found the scene online and watched it already....i had to know.

It was difficult to watch, and the sounds and the way they cut it- no pun intended- made it more tension-filled. It was very well done.

Here's what I watched, for anyone interested:
http://www.videosurf.com/video/aron-ral ... 1253555169

The only Oscar-nominated films I've seen are True Grit, Toy Story 3, How To Train Your Dragon, Harry Potter DH (Hey, it's nominated for Art Direction & Visual Effects!), & Alice In Wonderland. I feel like a movie-fan failure. :oops:

I swear to see all of the biggies before Oscar night!

I LOVED True Grit and was so happy to see Hailee get a nod for her role as Mattie- she was marvelous. :) But I don't think she'll win.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 pm

That's fine, Laura, but did you finally see Machete? :D
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm

looks for head-hanging smiley :sosad:

I know! I can't believe it either! but it's on our Netflix queue and it's available 2/1..... :|
ImageImage

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:01 pm

I saw it because I had some free on-demand movies from DirectTV for being a sucker, I mean loyal customer. It was just as hilariously over the top and bloody as I remembered.

I am bike-cheese!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:59 am

8) I know we'll love it...and I just can't believe I missed it when it was out....pathetic.
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 am

I. Just. Could. Not. Click. On. Laura's. Link.
:sofa:

Couldn't do it. And now knowing it's on this page is going to drive me wild.
:witsend:
I adore James Franco, so I should just suck it up and go watch him, and see the scene in the context of the whole film. :worry: :shock: :doomed:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:14 am

I'm in shock - the local googolplex here in Bumblef@rk, NJ, has FOUR Best Pic Nom films that I need/want to see! :shock: Friday is an all-day movie day!
Spandex Inspector #12

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:48 am

I haven't gone to the movies much this year. The only Best Picture nominee I've seen is Toy Story 3 and that's just sad. :lol:

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Well I saw The Kings Speech last week and really loved it, then I saw The Fighter and thought Christian Bale was absolutely brilliant (as usual) ...especially during the credits when you get to see the real Dicky and you can see he had him spot on! But I've just now come out of Black Swan and was blown away!

Three great films in all released in such a short time frame. Hmmm... :hrm: must be Oscar season!

Honestly a film hasn't engaged me as much as Black Swan in a very long time. I came out really excited to talk to someone about it! I loved that just when I thought I knew what was what, scenes would whip around and go a completely different way - and that happened over and over! Fabulous! I think I experienced every emotion watching it too - at one point the whole audience gasped in shock, at another everyone giggled, at yet another we jumped in fright. One moment caused a buzz of excited discussion, and some scenes made me squeamish - then some parts were quite poignant too. I couldn't really ask for more. I thought Natalie Portman was fabulous in the role - she even looked like a real ballet dancer with all that fine-boned fragility. And she handled some things the role called for that I never would've expected from her (yknow, THOSE bits :blush: ). And the actress that played her mother ... OMG! :lol: :clap:

What to see next? I think True Grit is released here next week... I've not heard a THING about it, nor even seen a trailer. But it's Coen brothers eh? Its bound to be good! :D

Great H

Postby Great H » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm

SheWolf wrote:I think the only reason I'd want to watch 127 Hours is for the amputation scene
Same here – it's the entire point of the story really isn't it?! (Mind you, I haven't seen a trailer yet). But then, I ALSO don't think I could stomach it! :lol:
Maybe I'll just have a quick lookee at that linkee and see... :nails:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Great H, I'm so glad you liked Black Swan. I feel as though I need to see it again, to straighten things out in my head.
That was Barbara hershey as Natalie Portman's Mom. I can't remember seeing her in a role as an older, mature Mom before, but she has gone from quirky leading lady to a superb character actress seamlessly.
I thought in that last mirror-breaking scene that instead of Mila Kunis, it was her mother that she stabbed. I really loved not knowing what was what in so many scenes. I loved the camera work, the way it followed Natalie throughout the entire film. Let's go get a manicure and talk about the finger skin-pulling scene! Heh heh.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:21 pm

If you're into people losing limbs, Machete is also a good choice. :D

I am bike-cheese!

Great H

Postby Great H » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

I think I'll pass on that one MM! :lol:
But I'm definitely going to see Black Swan again :nod:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

They should have hired you to promote machete, MM! :supz:

(And I just realized I've also seen Inception, so I'm a tiny bit further along than I thought I was up there^^^^^but I can't edit it now.)
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 pm

LauraK wrote:The only Oscar-nominated films I've seen are True Grit, Toy Story 3, How To Train Your Dragon, Harry Potter DH (Hey, it's nominated for Art Direction & Visual Effects!), & Alice In Wonderland. I feel like a movie-fan failure. :oops:

I swear to see all of the biggies before Oscar night!”
So the Oscars not so subtle marketing ploy is working. :lol:

Great H wrote: at another everyone giggled
Would that be when her legs bent back? Some cow person around here dared to question us sophisticated (read snobbish) east coast movie viewers for such a reaction. :P The film played a bit like a comedy to me, like an insider's mock up of prior films of this well worn genre (female fear of sexuality) with a dash of 70s' B movie horror tossed in. I was never sure if the stuff I thought was funny was supposed to be or if the stuff I thought of as homages were supposed to be. I'm still somewhat baffled on those points and no I can't entirely enjoy the film until those questions are answered but Darren Aronofsky isn't taking my calls.

Great H wrote:
SheWolf wrote:I think the only reason I'd want to watch 127 Hours is for the amputation scene
Same here – it's the entire point of the story really isn't it?! (Mind you, I haven't seen a trailer yet). But then, I ALSO don't think I could stomach it! :lol:
Maybe I'll just have a quick lookee at that linkee and see... :nails:
I’m sure I could stomach it (fingernail and eyeball issues are really the only things that get me) but seeing it out of context would probably take a lot of the thrill of that moment away. Since we know it’s coming it’s probably best to watch all the way through and let the director’s talents build and build to it. Kind of like an orgasm, you don’t wanna just get there immediately do you? Okay maybe you do, I don’t know you personally.

LauraK wrote:(And I just realized I've also seen Inception, so I'm a tiny bit further along than I thought I was0?
Another rave review for Inception I see.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”