2011 Oscars

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: 2011 Oscars

Postby Great H » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:02 am

SheWolf wrote:Another rave review for Inception I see.
I was underwhelmed by Inception too. Possibly I'd just heard too many good things about it and went in overhyped. I think I was expecting something as mind-blowing as I found Memento (by the same writer/director) and it didn't quite make it. Plus there were a number of plot holes and things that kinda bugged me. I loved the concept in Inception, but... I don't know, it just didn't live up to expectations for me. It certainly did for most people I know though, so there must be something in it!

And no, it wasn't the bent legs bit in Black Swan that mad me laugh - that got a gasp! (I think he took that scene a bit too far! LOL!) - there were several different places, though some were really giggles of nervous surprise I suppose - like when she was touching herself in bed and turned to see her mother there, but then properly when Lily said 'OMG you DID have a lezzy fantasy about me... *pause* ...Was I good?! :lol:.

And mostly it was the type of horror that I like most - good old fashioned scares not blood and guts. You know, the 'don't open the door... DON'T open the door!', tense kind of horror, rather than slasher gore stuff. There were some slightly grisly parts in this too (the fingernails - eep!) but I kind of like squeamish - as long as it stops there. So for me Black Swan had everything: drama, comedy, and horror! Plus it really made great use of the visual medium to tell the story - so many films have great stories but you may as well have been reading them. Mind you, I guess the psychological aspects really lent themselves to it.

OK I'll stop gushing now. Hopefully I'll still like it as much on second viewing! :lol:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 am

Great H wrote:I was underwhelmed by Inception too. Possibly I'd just heard too many good things about it and went in overhyped.
That was partly the issue for me too, that and that any time someone says something is mind bending and freaky I think David Lynch and nothing but Lynch lives up that.
Also I'm fascinated by dreams (who isn't?) and was hoping for more of a real mind F on that rather than so much action. In many ways it felt very much like your typical action flick to me & that turned me off.

Great H wrote:there were several different places, though some were really giggles of nervous surprise I suppose - like when she was touching herself in bed and turned to see her mother there.
Right. That was questionable scene for me because if it wasn't meant to be funny it seems too literally Freudian to be anything but pretentious but some people seemed to take it seriously like - oooh yeah imagine if your mom was there!! I mean, could he have hammered home any more the idea that this chick is repressed? Did we really need the same idea being driven home in such a variety of (cliched) ways? Oh anyway...despite all that, I"m not saying I wasn't entertained, I just wasn't haunted and that's what I was hoping for.
Last edited by SheWolf on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 am

Out of the list I've seen Toy Story 3, Inception and Alice in Wonderland. So you're further along than me Laura. However, I don't promise to watch anything before the Oscars. For some reason I have this strong urge to watch Machete after reading this thread. hehe

I guess out of the three movies I've watched I'll root for Alice in Wonderland and Toy Story 3. Inception was the theatrical equivalent of listening to my great great grandmother reminisce about her latest bowel movement with much flourish and detail. I still want the time back I spent watching that so add me to the underwhelmed list as well. I kept waiting for Monty Python's version of God to pop up and yell "Get on with it." The only good thing I got out of it is that I was able to enjoy the episode of South Park that made fun of it much more than I previously would have. So I guess it was worth it for that.

I'm glad to see people like Black Swan. The various perverts I follow on twitter all said it was disappointing and "Meh". So it's nice to get the perspective of non-perverts. Maybe, I will see Black Swan! That is...after I see Machete! :lol:
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:26 am

deliriumtree wrote:Inception was the theatrical equivalent of listening to my great great grandmother reminisce about her latest bowel movement with much flourish and detail.
I hadn't thought of it that way but now that you mention it.... :P

deliriumtree wrote: The various perverts I follow on twitter all said it was disappointing and "Meh". So it's nice to get the perspective of non-perverts.
Since I don't post on twitter anymore I shall breathe a sigh of relief at not having just been labeled a pervert, not that there's anything wrong with that. :waggle:
90% evil
ImageImage

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 am

deliriumtree wrote: The various perverts I follow on twitter all said it was disappointing and "Meh". So it's nice to get the perspective of non-perverts.
Since I don't post on twitter anymore I shall breathe a sigh of relief at not having just been labeled a pervert, not that there's anything wrong with that. :waggle:[/quote]

To be fair, I do follow a small amount of non-perverts as well. Didn't want anyone on here to think I'm lumping you all into my horde of perverts. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) hehe It's a nice mix really and makes twitter very interesting. I highly recommend following perverts.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:06 am

Well, since the amputation scene in 127 Hours isn't some huge plot-point the movie's been building to with the viewer unaware of what's coming, I don't see the problem with viewing it out of context. I'd say that 99.9% of people who see it know what they're in for, for the most part. If you think you may be a bit squeamish in the theater, watch it first because I'm sure it's more intense and horrifying in the theater, in context. :)

As for Inception, it seems to be one where you either loved it or went "meh." We loved it. It didn't feel slow or drug out to me at all. To each their own. :)

Some years, I'm excited to watch the Oscars but couldn't care less whether I've seen all of the movies nominated. This year, the majority are movies I really wanted to see but haven't yet, so I do feel a bit driven, lol.

Great H, you said you loved the camera work and how closely (literally) they followed Natalie's character. That's what my Mom hated about the movie....she said it was distracting and kept taking her out of the movie. I've heard so much about it now, I have no idea how I'll feel about it. Some bits make me think of The Fly. :lol: I still want to see it, though.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:24 pm

LauraK wrote:Great H, you said you loved the camera work and how closely (literally) they followed Natalie's character.
No no, I said I thought they made great use of the visual medium to tell the story. By that I mean you don't just hear about her psychosis, or have to infer it somehow, you actually SEE it happening. I think it's very well done, if perhaps overdone in a few places.

And good news for me! Today I won free tickets for a preview screening of True Grit – YAY! But bad news for me: it's next Wednesday night which is our deadline night at the magazine I work for, so probably I won't be able to go. Bah! :cry:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Great H- Sorry! My comment was meant to be for what Nancy said in her spoiler tag:
Nancy wrote:I loved the camera work, the way it followed Natalie throughout the entire film.

I knew someone had said the camera followed her throughout the entire film, just attributed it to the wrong person! Sorry, Nancy!

I saw The King's Speech this morning and I must say, I thought it was brilliant! :) I thought Colin and Geoffrey were wonderful and both deserve Oscars. And Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill....I'm used to seeing him as bad guys- Wormtail in HP and the Beedle in Sweeney Todd. :lol:

I can't imagine them editing this movie to get a PG13 and a wider audience.... http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/ ... S520110131

That was one of the best scenes!
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 am

Oh, and Dumbledore was in it, too! ;)
ImageImage

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 am

I saw The Fighter tonight. It's a great movie. It wasn't the best film of the year but I agree with it being in the top 10. The acting was mostly superb. Christian Bale deserves every award for that part and Amy Adams was perfection.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:41 am

Good to hear good things about The Fighter. I have yet to see it, but it's a local story, so it touches a heartstring. Plus I love to see how actors approach the famed Boston accent. :wink:
And it looks good to take both of the Best Supporting trophies home, much as I'd love Geoffrey Rush to win for his incredible performance in The King's speech.
Am I the only one confused about the lack of any sign of an Australian accent in Geoffrey Rush's dialect, even though he talks about doing Richard III in Sydney? I'm confused. Other than that question, I thought he was flawless.

Absolutely no editing to make it PG-13!!! It should live like Planes, Trains, And Automobiles, an R-rated movie that should be PG-13, except for one scene containing too many F-bombs. That scene is wayyyy too important to the movie to be tampered with. Beep it out to show on TV, but don't re-edit it. :hammer:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm

I was a bit confused by Christian Bale's natural accent. Last I heard him he had a seriously weird & distracting melting of American and English or Welsh or whatever he is, but when accepting his awards recently he sounded like he was back to his normal accent.

The famed Boston accent always sounds fake to me because I've never known anyone from Boston so the accent seems created exclusively for film. LOL.

I hadn't thought of it before but yes the camera does follow Natalie quite closely a lot of the time. I'm a sucker for the hand held, documentary type feel and I did feel that quite a bit in Black Swan.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Nancy, I saw Geoffrey interviewed on Oprah yesterday, and he doesn't really have a heavy Aussie accent in rl either. I looked online a bit and see that he was born in Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia and lived there til his mother moved to Brisbane when he was 5. He went to Paris to study Mime & pantomime when he was 24 and lived there for 2 years...can that small amount of time have affected his accent in some way? :dunno:
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:15 am

I thought he was just doing a British accent, and I truly didn't know he wasn't born in the UK. I just kept listening for an Aussie twang somewhere along the line, but never heard it.
I personally would love to see this as a play with very few characters, sort of like Nixon/Frost, with the two leading men carrying the show. It would be a true tour de force. Hmmm, what 2 adorable folks do we know who could possibly be good in a show like this? :hrm: Jemaine would be the King, and Bret the speech therapist. :eyelashes:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Watched The Social Network today. It was very good....not Best Picture good, imo. I'm neither over nor underwhelmed. I'm just whelmed, I guess. It was interesting. The way Jesse Eisenberg (sp) played him made me think he (MZ) had Asperger's but in watching interviews w/ the man himself, it's hard to tell. They made him very robotic in the movie while in rl he seems pretty engaged in interviews, while still seeming a bit awkward. Who knows! It doesn't really matter, just an observation that by Googling, I see I'm not the only one to have made.

I'm glad I saw it, the acting was good, and the story interesting. But beyond that? Meh, it isn't one I'll be thinking about from time to time in the next few days like The King's Speech was.....
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”