Another big earthquake in Christchurch...and Elsewhere

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Another big earthquake in Christchurch

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 am

I've been so worried about you, Great H and Amanda, since I heard about this early this morning. Glad to hear you're all right, but my heart goes out to all who are missing loved ones.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:10 pm

:)

Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:22 am

Amplifier and muso's teaming up for the relief effort.

http://www.amplifier.co.nz/news/67769/4chch.html
Image..Image..Image

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:54 am

If anyone is still on the fence about giving to the earthquake relief effort, here are two fundraisers I stumbled across that offer added incentive (cool stuff). Plus 100% of the proceeds are being donated to charities to support Christchurch earthquake victims.

Software apps:
http://www.appappeal.co.nz/
I've been addicted to a puzzle game called "Sheepish" since I found this site last week.
:whitey:

T-shirts:
http://www.mrvintage.co.nz/CHEQ
They only announced the shirts about 5 hours ago and they've already raised over $15K!

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:27 am

OK now I REALLY want an iPhone! I'm forwarding that link to everyone I know who has one. :nod:
Thanks for posting that eorious!

I gotta tell you, it's been intense here. We're such a small country everybody knows someone who's been affected directly or indirectly. No-one I know was involved, thank goodness, but one of my workmates lost a good friend in the collapse of the CTV building (though the body is still unrecovered), and my best friend has still not heard from someone she knows that she was supposed to go and stay with in 2 weeks time.

The earthquake and it's aftermath is pretty much still the only news item here - and now they are getting into individual stories of some of the victims - it's completely heartbreaking. Worse, as a designer for a magazine/newspaper for the medical community I'm laying out stories and looking at pics for these stories pretty much all day every day, and I gotta tell ya, it's wearing me down. I'm completely emotionally overloaded, tearing up several times a day for no particular reason - so much so I had to say I was sick and take Friday off because I just couldn't deal with any more. And then I feel guilty and somewhat ridiculous for feeling that way when I wasn't even involved! I can't begin to imagine what Chcher's are going through.

I'm ready for a miracle survivor story - any moment now please.

On the up side, it's been heartwarming to see how the whole community is pulling together down there - indeed the whole country. And internationally too actually - the response has been quite humbling. I know Christchurch residents feel the love and concern and give thanks for peoples' generosity. There are vids floating around of the 2 minutes silence that was held nationally today at 12.51pm (exactly one week since the quake), and it's wonderful to see it being taken so seriously - whole crowds of people, entire streets, just stopped in place for two minutes to remember.

Please, let us all learn from this - tell your loved ones how you feel as often as you can - because you never know when it will be too late. And put together a disaster survival kit/plan for your home - though hopefully you'll never actually need it.

Great H

Postby Great H » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Hey this is quite cool tho: they've found a time capsule from 1867, uncovered in the quake! :D

Edit: New development... apparently there's now been a small quake in Wellie too. Only 4.5 so really small, no damage reports. But given what we've all been witnessing this week I bet it freaked a few people out nonetheless! I always thought that a major quake in one area would release fault tensions and therefore make another quake elsewhere less likely, but I read last week that actually the opposite is true, and if that's the case then Wellie's was no doubt triggered by Chch. As long as is it isn't a harbinger of more to come - I don't think NZ could handle another one.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:53 pm

{{{{{{{{H}}}}}}}}

You shouldn't feel ridiculous- it's happened in your own country, you know how very bad it is, you're seeing more than most of how truly awful it is, and you're obviously an empathetic person who's really being affected by this. It's nothing to feel guilty about. :hug: I don't blame you for taking a day off!

I keep looking for the same miracle story...I know they got that 1 woman out a day or so after the quake but I sure hope there will be more.

That time capsule discovery is really cool! I'm interested to see what the note says and what else was in there. 8)

Just reading the rest of that article though is so sad..... :( I'm glad loads of help is coming in but it always seems to come more slowly than I think it should.

Many vibes and prayers to all those affected.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Great H wrote: I'm completely emotionally overloaded, tearing up several times a day for no particular reason - so much so I had to say I was sick and take Friday off because I just couldn't deal with any more. l
I remember feeling that way after hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. After a few days of non stop TV coverage I reached a breaking point & couldn't hack it anymore.

Thanks for the links eorious. I'd been wanting to contribute in some way but hadn't yet pulled the trigger on anything, but I'm now happy to be adding one more T shirt to my red t shirt collection. :wink:
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm getting a shirt too. :thumb: It's so great to see people coming together to help. :heart:

The stories have been heartbreaking, and I'm not even constantly inundated with them like you have been Great H. :( :hug: I read one story a few days ago about a Filipino student from the foreign language school who was texting her mom from beneath the rubble, saying she was trapped and hurt and begging her mother to send help. They stopped receiving texts about six hours after it happened and they haven't found her yet. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm glad nobody was hurt in Wellington. Please no more.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:05 pm

:down: :sosad: Hoping for more bits of good news, and Lord yes...no more bad. :cry:

Great H, I ditto what LauraK said. :goodman:
Great H wrote:tell your loved ones how you feel as often as you can - because you never know when it will be too late.

So easy to take for granted. :| Thanks for the reminder. :hug:

Cool links, Eorious. 8)
Image..Image..Image

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:57 pm

H :hug:
I was devastated when i heard..because i could've just as easily been there. I had even considered being in ChCh those days instead of Nelson. Then as i watched the news the following days and the number of deads kept increasing i had shivers down my spine and felt very sad and impotent :cry:

Thanks Eorious for the links :thumb: Which size have you ordered, SW? The size chart suggest XS for me but i'm afraid it'll be too small.
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 pm

I'm glad everyone liked the links. I had tried donating directly to the red cross several times last week but the site always either crashed or rejected my credit cards :bang: so I was really glad when I found these other ways to give. Since then another site has been set up to receive donations (http://www.christchurchearthquakeappeal.govt.nz/) which hopefully will work for those of us overseas, but I haven't tried it yet.

Oh Great H... :hug: . I can't imagine how hard it must be to have to look at those images all day every day. And I feel for your friends having to endure that uncertainty. I've read some of the individual stories online, including the one mock mentioned about the girl texting her family, and it's all just so tragic. The helplessness those families must have felt...

I'm holding out hope some good news comes out of Chch soon. :pray:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Great H, huge hugs to you. :goodman:
I know about tearing up all day. Just take a deep breath and know that it will eventually pass. I pray that things settle down so the recovery process can begin.
Your suggestion about telling loved ones how you feel as often as you can is spot on. Thanks for the reminder. :smiles:
Thanks for the links, eeorious. It makes us feel less helpless when we can contribute to the cause.
And my heart goes out to all who have lost loved ones or are waiting to hear news about them. :heart:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Great H

Postby Great H » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:15 am

Nancy wrote:Your suggestion about telling loved ones how you feel as often as you can is spot on. Thanks for the reminder. :smiles:
Have I told you guys recently how awesome you all are?
Cos you are.
:hug:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:43 am

Amanda wrote: Which size have you ordered, SW? The size chart suggest XS for me but i'm afraid it'll be too small.
I measured a T shirt that fits me well & it was equivalent to a M but I ordered a large.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”